The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How old are the kids riding in the Smalls?

I realize they can be up to 12 (is that right?) , but how old are they when they START? what divisions do they start in and what is the usual progression to becoming a small pony rider?
    who is breaking small ponies??? it seems to me that most kids who are good enough to do this are really TOO big to do it, if you know what I mean! I have been looking at green small ponies for my DC but she is NOT ready for a greenie and there is no one at our barn small enough to ride one LOL so we have passed on that idea, just wondering how they get "made".
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

they will get 'made' from the bigger kids-but small & skinny (bigger as in older) riding them to good rides. then they can show them in the baby greens, 2'3" hunters, etc. then the small pony rider will get on him/her at a local show probably (depends how much $ you have-it can be a bigger show if you want to spend more to 'school')
    depending on the kid, the trainer, and how far the pony has come; the kid should be doing the small greens soon thereafter!

please realize all vary per show barn & this is just how i was brought to see it.

you do not need a kid at your barn to ride it- some trainers are tiny enough to ride them or go out and find a great kid at a show who would be willing to get some catch rides (basically any kid wants catch rides!)
    Last edited by iridehorses; Jun. 19, 2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: some pony kids start out at 8!!! for example-how old was maddie schaeffer (mutilated last name-sam's sister) when she started

I know of 6 year olds doing the Smalls. I think 7 or 8 is more common though.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I am in my early twenties and still petite enough to school the smalls. I would look ridiculous on one in the show ring, but ride greenies and naughty smalls at home.

iridehorses, I believe Maddie Schaefer was 5 when she started showing in the smalls.

Any junior can show a small GREEN, doesn't mean they will fit on the pony but they can show. Small riders like technopony are critical to have around if you are showing a small. One of the most sucessful pony riders in the country is aging out of smalls this year. She could show another year or two according to her size, and still look very appropiate.

As far as breaking them, short professionals!

Thanks for all the info! I can't believe they start as young as 5!! that is amazing!
    Kim

Brave juniors... usually teenagers... or small pro's... usually break the ponies. It really depends. Most of the pony hunters going around today with the itty-bitty kids are usually in their teens+. The younger, greener ponies are usually ridden by older kids.

There are some clever pony jocks that are barely with the training wheels off their bikes... and it goes all the way to age 12 (some are even 13 bc their bdays fall weird)... so you get to see them in all shapes and sizes. That's what so fun about the division... and it's partially based on suitability, so it's not uncommon to see a mighty midget beat an over-sized pony jock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tini Sea Soldier View Post
    Brave juniors... usually teenagers... or small pro's... usually break the ponies. It really depends. Most of the pony hunters going around today with the itty-bitty kids are usually in their teens+. The younger, greener ponies are usually ridden by older kids.

There are some clever pony jocks that are barely with the training wheels off their bikes... and it goes all the way to age 12 (some are even 13 bc their bdays fall weird)... so you get to see them in all shapes and sizes. That's what so fun about the division... and it's partially based on suitability, so it's not uncommon to see a mighty midget beat an over-sized pony jock.
    We will see! my kid is 5 and can now walk trot canter and today popped over a few little cross rails , I can't IMAGINE feeding her to the wolves before the end of NEXT summer LOL!!! but that will also depend on how much riding she gets in this winter we don't have an indoor and need to trailer to one when the weather is cold, we do have a good friend who lets us use theirs in exchange for breeding rights to our stallion so that will help. Both of my daughters will need to ride all winter this year, the older one because her pony is green and the younger one because she just looses so much leg over the winter if she does not do it on a regular basis. Still 5 seems really young to me LOL!! Although I do find most barn kids to be much more mature than their peers.
    Kim

I think a lot of kids are doing walk-trot at 5-6, short stirrup at 6-7, then stepping into the smalls around 8-9. I wouldn't want to put a kid without some short stirrup miles into the smalls, regardless of age. I also wouldn't want to put one into the small greens (against kids up to 18) until they had some miles in the smalls, or unless the pony was only technically green (i.e. had jumped around the smalls for 3 years at the locals- just not rateds).

IIRC, Evan Coluccio was champion at Washington on a small when he was 6 years old.

I think the pony was considerably older than Evan.

Can I just say the term "mighty midget" makes me laugh?

We always had smaller adults or competent older but petite juniors ride the little ones until they were ready for a kid.

Anyone know of a tiny person that can ride a small small (11.2) pony anywhere near TX/OK?
    my daughter just turned 5 and can w,t,c and jump crossrails on him, but I need someone to get his changes done, and a bit more coursework. He jumps great and is super easy just needs some miles with someone other than my 5 yr old!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    iridehorses, I believe Maddie Schaefer was 5 when she started showing in the smalls.
    I have a picture I took of her from Vermont a few years ago (before I even knew who she was) when she was 5. Cutest thing EVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Maggie Jayne won at Pony Finals as a 5-year-old too, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Maggie Jayne won at Pony Finals as a 5-year-old too, I believe.
    So hard to imagine my 2 year old winning at Pony Finals in 3 years. (Not to imply she is/will be any Maggie Jayne, just seems like an AMAZING feat for a 5 year old.) Maggie must have skipped the terrible 2-3.

My daughter was 8 (did the greens) and is now nine. She will do the mediums next year. I would say the average age this year in the smalls (in my area) for both green and the regs was about 10/11. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gry2Yng View Post
    So hard to imagine my 2 year old winning at Pony Finals in 3 years. (Not to imply she is/will be any Maggie Jayne, just seems like an AMAZING feat for a 5 year old.) Maggie must have skipped the terrible 2-3.
    I also have a 2 yr old and she will be much for suited to the JUMPER division at 5 I think LOL !!! she loves to ride but there is NO attention span and very little finesse! we are just hoping the pony survives her , not the other way around!!!
    Kim

Here's the photo I remember of Maggie Jayne, as a 5-year-old, in the pony hunters: http://heliconshowstables.com/images...1990JSBuck.jpg