The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Ways to keep dock of tail clean for overnight?

So, tomorrow my mare is getting a bath in preparation for a Fun Show that's taking place Saturday morning. It's not a big fancy show at all, so I really don't want to get there at 6am to give her a bath the morning of or anything.

The problem is, she gets the dock of her tail dirty REALLY fast, specifically the underside gets.. well.. a bit of manure "grime" in it. Gross, I know. I think it's mostly because she has so much hair at the top of her tail, it's very bushy.

I was wondering if there was any way to keep her dock clean overnight, so I can keep it clean between her bath tomorrow afternoon, and the show Saturday morning? She lives outside 24/7, with a fly sheet that covers the top of her tail.

I considered wrapping it, but am afraid that I'll somehow wrap it too tight, or if not too tight, then too loosely and it'll simply come off. I almost was thinking of perhaps cutting off a section of the leg of a pair of pantyhose and using that little "tube" around her dock, so it could still breathe and stuff but stay basically clean.. but I'm sure there's error to that idea as well.

COTHers, any ideas? Worse comes to worst, I'll just Miracle Groom the bejeezus out of the dirty hair the morning of the show, but I'd rather just keep it clean from the get-go if possible!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Grrrr... storms ALL DAY today, boo! I may have to bathe her early tomorrow morning anyways now.

I would loosely french braid the hair on the dock and then use vet wrap. You wouldn't have to wrap it tightly, since it sticks to itself anyway.

Of course, like you said, you may just have to bathe the 'lil mud pie in the morning anyway....

Have Fun!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    I would loosely french braid the hair on the dock and then use vet wrap. You wouldn't have to wrap it tightly, since it sticks to itself anyway.

Of course, like you said, you may just have to bathe the 'lil mud pie in the morning anyway....

Have Fun!!!!
    I'm HOPING the weather will blow over and perhaps I can give her a bath tonight.. however, that would include using the indoor wash rack unless I want to give her a bath in the dark.

She's never been in the indoor wash rack before. THAT would be interesting.

Char had a good idea. Tail wraps are pretty easy to apply, as long as you don't try to wrap them tightly and use even pressure I'm sure you'll do fine. It's best to use a few small peices of tail hair to keep the wrap on at the top - I'd suggest you still try that with the vet wrap idea.

Really if you clean & apply a good detangler, that is going to help to keep lots of the dirt off.

GL with the wash rack - make sure you check for horse eating monsters!!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I wouldn't leave a tail wrap on overnight it's too easy to cause damage to the tail. And if done loosely it will just fall off.

Could her tail flap be preventing her from lifting her tail?

I would just plan on getting up early to give her an extra polish/wash (just like all the gray horse owners have to ).