The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Post Comments on this pedigree?

I am trying to find out more info about my mare, PT, this is her pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/perfect+timing6
    Both her sire and dam are deceased.
    My mare is turning out to have some dressage potential as her father had, but her mother was mainly an eventing mare.
    Fair and kind, but with authority... - Jennie Loriston-Clarke

What a wonderful hunter pedigree your mare's dam has! Her sire, dam's sire, and 2nd dam's sire are all among the alltime best hunter sires. Fantastic. That's the kind of TB pedigree we love to see for hunters. Did she show?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

As long as we are drooling about the dam's pedigree, and I do agree that it is as good as it gets, don't forget the mares in Castle Magic's dam line who were wonderful producers. Setubal was an outstanding sport horse sire, and *even* Bold Conqueror was bred from jumping lines.

The dam was never bred to race; she was clearly bred for one of the jumping pursuits, because for that she has a truly royal pedigree. She has some of the greatest American showjumpers of all time in her lines, as well as the very great hunter sires Clavier and his sons. It would be a terrible loss if your mare were bred solely for dressage.

BTW, the mares Eastmas and Ginomel are outstanding as producers of more than one sport horse in Dr. Birdsall.

I hope your mare has been approved for breeding and is being bred. If you are thinking about breeding her, there is super linebreeding potential with the Catch On Dream lines with the stallion whose name I forget but who is half that family. Someone here will know who I'm talking about; he's been showing as a showjumper and is by a WB out of a Twist line mare--think his name is Silver Twist. It's Abdullah out of a Good Twist mare. Then there is V-Tropez who is Galoubet out of a Good Twist mare. There may be another one whose name or sire's name begins with O.

Silver Twist's third dam is Helianthemum who was the dam of Jet Run.

There is also a TB stallion named BOC who has been listed in the USEF lists for leading eventing sire that is in that family as well. I think the USEF lists are worth than useless because one offspring with a lot of points can seriously skew the results. Looks as though BOC is dead, but according to PQ he did leave one intact son.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jun. 20, 2009 at 02:03 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Silver Twist has awesome bloodlines. If I was breeding Trakehners I'd be all over him in a heartbeat.

Check out the pedigree of this mare. I would probably trade my firstborn for her. LOL!
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/fire+news
    Sadly, she has no registered foals. No idea where she is or what she's doing.
    Breeding her to Fun And Fancy Free would be VERY interesting.

As for Boc, he looks to have been bred with eventing in mind - his dam's a full sister to Royal Core - although I've never heard of his sire, Surly Swain, before. I wonder if he evented, himself. He's too old to be able to find records, most likely. Be interesting to track down that stallion son of him.

Back to the OP's mare's dam Scarlet Risk - she has no registered TB foals either. A crying shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
    Silver Twist has awesome bloodlines. If I was breeding Trakehners I'd be all over him in a heartbeat.

As for Boc, he looks to have been bred with eventing in mind - his dam's a full sister to Royal Core - although I've never heard of his sire, Surly Swain, before. I wonder if he evented, himself. He's too old to be able to find records, most likely. Be interesting to track down that stallion son of him.
    Boc stallion son
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/cor+magnifique
    http://www.teamwallace.org/stallion

Fun and Fancy Free would be a super mating for a hunter. As would Castle Cove. For some reason, I had thought that the generations would be too close for comfort with Castle Cove, but they really are not.

Isn't it amazing how the Night Lark/Bonne Nuit/Bonne Cause lines have been so very good at all the jumping disciplines?

To the OP--please use the gold in your mare's lines to keep that royal American family alive in jumping or hunters. It is internationally recognized as royalty and cannot be allowed to die for jumping, even when present as WB crosses.

Thanks PTF for finding Cor Magnifique's current location.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by titansrunfarm View Post
    I am trying to find out more info about my mare, PT, this is her pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/perfect+timing6
    Both her sire and dam are deceased.
    My mare is turning out to have some dressage potential as her father had, but her mother was mainly an eventing mare.
    Can you give some history on your mare ?
    I am the breeder of "Chasing Dreams" and always wondered what happened to her, after I sold her as a weanling.
    Thanks !

From Scarlet Risk's Equineline pedigree--
    She was born in North Carolina in 1990. Her breeders were Yvonne D. Kowalczyk and Reed Kowalczyk.

Don't know if that will help you, Elfe, but it would seem that they had Chasing Dreams in 1990.

Thanks Viney. I sold them Chasing Dreams in 1986. The last time I talked to Yvonne, I think a couple of years later, the filly had had a bad injury. Never heard anything since.
    Popsicon had five fillies for me and I always thought that Chasing Dreams was the best one.
    It's kind of neat when you see one of your babies appear in a pedigree somewhere !
    If the OP has any more info, I would love to know.

Talking The Awesome PT

Wow! I thought I'd get some info on Fine Art/Samber, did not know anything much about Castle Magic until this week, what a super surprise!
    PT is only 7, still plenty of time for breeding although I almost bred her last year to an Oldenburg stallion 'Dream Along' ( http://www.oldenburghorse.com/book/stallionlist.htm ) but then she was going so well under saddle I decided to postpone for now. She is a blast to ride but I think she'd be to hot for the hunter ring, she loves dressage and is schooling 2nd level now. Likes to jump little stuff with me but I haven't done much over fences with her, here is a rare pic of her jumping in my back pasture just for fun: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t.../DSCF0494b.jpg
    I do have a friend that teaches at a hunter barn that loves her. 1st time I took her to the hunter barn the BM said that's a hunter not a dressage horse! We found out last fall she has EPSM and a pulled back muscle so she had the winter off and we have been taking it easy and getting her back into full work just this past month or two. Here she is at her RPSI inspection last spring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Q-uEM-s9g she is much better muscled now. This is her just getting back to work earlier this year: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...m/DSCF1447.jpg
    PT is the equine love of my live, just a super personalty and will to please, I would love to breed her one day. Her dam was a bold jumper but also excelled in dressage. I had the priveledge of riding her a few times after PT was born, sadly she died in 2005. To the best of my knowledge she only had two foals, PT and a colt the year before that, he is by Briar 899, yes another dressage horse. I bought PT as a weanling from the dams owner in NC. Hmm, may have to go put up some more jumps, huh?
    Last edited by titansrunfarm; Jul. 8, 2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: more info

http://useventing.com/resources/medi...ve_results.pdf

The horse Corcall is Boc's full brother. Margaret did Rolex and was long listed for the Pan-Ams with Corcall way back when....

IIRC Boc was never ridden; his older brother was his pimp.

Were her breeders hoping for color? Briar is a very flashy sabino, and Fine Art and Samber are both pinto producers.

When she's ready, you might want to put her at some jumps that would make her work. The one picture shows her hanging her left foreleg, but that doesn't mean that she wouldn't have lovely form if the photo were taken at a different moment in time or the jump were bigger and made her use herself. She might be already reaching for the ground with that foot.

You will have fun investigating Scarlet Risk's lines and relatives. Night Lark was one of the USET show jumping horses, and he is in the pedigrees of more USET horses. Catch On Fire was the sire of Laser who was a very great event horse. In the 2003 Hunter Sire rankings, Castle Magic had 9 different offspring with points, most in the Adult A/O 35+ Category. If you want some REAL fun, post Scarlet Risk's pedigree on the H/J forum as the dam of a mare and see what people say.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    You will have fun investigating Scarlet Risk's lines and relatives. Night Lark was one of the USET show jumping horses, and he is in the pedigrees of more USET horses. Catch On Fire was the sire of Laser who was a very great event horse.

Night Lark, sire of:
    Night before Last ( sire)
    House Guest (Eventer)
    Night Spree (USET)
    Out Late (USET)
    Catch on Fire, Sire of:
    Laser ( Eventer)
    Catch on Dream ( Sire)

Quote Originally Posted by titansrunfarm View Post
    Wow! I thought I'd get some info on Fine Art/Samber, did not know anything much about Castle Magic until this week, what a super surprise!
    PT is only 7, still plenty of time for breeding although I almost bred her last year to an Oldenburg stallion 'Dream Along' ( http://www.oldenburghorse.com/book/stallionlist.htm ) but then she was going so well under saddle I decided to postpone for now. She is a blast to ride but I think she'd be to hot for the hunter ring, she loves dressage and is schooling 2nd level now. Likes to jump little stuff with me but I haven't done much over fences with her, here is a rare pic of her jumping in my back pasture just for fun: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t.../DSCF0494b.jpg
    I do have a friend that teaches at a hunter barn that loves her. 1st time I took her to the hunter barn the BM said that's a hunter not a dressage horse! We found out last fall she has EPSM so she had the winter off and we have been taking it easy and getting her back into full work just this past month or two. Here she is at her RPSI inspection last spring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Q-uEM-s9g she is much better muscled now. This is her just getting back to work earlier this year: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...m/DSCF1447.jpg
    PT is the equine love of my live, just a super personalty and will to please, I would love to breed her one day, due to the EPSM it would be a baby for me only though. Her dam was a bold jumper but also excelled in dressage. I had the priveledge of riding her a few times after PT was born, sadly she died in 2005. To the best of my knowledge she only had two foals, PT and a colt the year before that, he is by Briar 899, yes another dressage horse. I bought PT as a weanling from the dams owner in NC. Hmm, may have to go put up some more jumps, huh?
    Your mare is lovely !
    Do you have any pictures of her dam ?

Yes, please. Pictures of Scarlet Risk if you have access to any. Not only do all of us who love her pedigree so much want to see the results of the pedigree in "real life", but you might say Elfe is her grandmother, well, mother's breeder, and DESERVES more information on her own horse family.

The dressage photo of your mare is stunning, and the quality of the riding ain't too shabby either.

Here are some pics of Risky with PT at her side and one of her 2001 son, I don't have many pics and none of them are confirmation shots.
    http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...runfarm/Risky/

I'd like to add a question; I read so many threads here of folks that have what they think of as nice mares that they'd like to breed one day, but the vast majority of threads culminate in 'don't breed your back yard mare' opinions, so how do you know if you have the quality/pedigree combo mare to breed?

BTW Viney you make me blush, my seat needs a lot of work and I really was tryign to stay of her back initially, but thanks for the sweet comment
    Last edited by titansrunfarm; Jun. 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: ?