The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Professionals... who is going to get USHJA Certified?

I think this is a great program im hoping that I will be financially able and not hindered by other commitments (shows etc) to attend one of the symposiums in the future and then do the certification program. I missed the one at Sweet Briar, which is very close to home and could kick myself for missing it.
    Is anyone else going to either of the symposiums either in NY or TX?
    What kind of impact do you all think this will have on the hunter world?
    I went to St. Andrew's, we were taught to use the forward riding system and i believe in it wholeheartedly, i think a systematic approach definitely benefits both the horses and the riders.
    Anyway comment away im really interested in other trainers and also students, parents etc opinions

I'll add another question about the program.

It's voluntary now, right? Will there come a day when you won't be able to sign a USEF entry blank as trainer unless you're certified?

If anyone wants any more info on the program which is mandatory here is a link to the USHJA website
    http://www.ushja.org/TCP/index.shtml
    Last edited by AGRHJRider; Jun. 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: link option didnt work

Quote Originally Posted by AGRHJRider View Post
    If anyone wants any more info on the program which is mandatory here is a link to the USHJA website
    http://http://www.ushja.org/TCP/index.shtml
    Link didn't work.

edited it... should work now
    sorry

Quote Originally Posted by AGRHJRider View Post
    http://www.ushja.org/TCP/index.shtml
    The first sentence (from the link above) says the program is voluntary, not mandatory:

The USHJA Trainer Certification Program is a voluntary program. It is intended to help promote trainer credibility and offer ongoing professional support. Certification does demonstrate a marketable merit of knowledge that will gain in credibility with each passing year.

Why was the CA clinic cancelled?
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

The goals of this so-far VOLUNTARY program are commendable....and getting CPR certification and insurance coverage are pretty much common sense to the point of being almost no-brainers.

In the present economic climate I suppose it could be argued that certification should translate to an advantage in the marketplace, giving those with certification an edge in attracting new clients to their businesses.

It's less arguable though, that those with up and going operations who already have numerous clients would gain from it enough to bother to participate. Grandfathering those types in doesn't seem fair to the rest, does it? But a two or three tier system will certainly develop for at least a while, at least until the symposiums become more numerous and more convenient geographically...giving everyone who needs/wants to a fair opportunity to attend. Especially when every penny counts, it might be a stretch in some cases to go to the expense of a trip that isn't going to immediately yield a tangible benefit.

It could be anticipated that less active trainers with more time on their hands to do it will be more likely to become certified, in an effort to increase their qualifications, while more active trainers at the top levels will either not take the time off or not see the point, and the busiest trainers at the lower levels might not be able to undertake or justify the expense of the program.

I would hope that an effort would be made to stage the symposiums in many locations so that the maxiumum number of participants could attend with a minimum amount of expense and effort.

I haven't heard the back story about the cancellation of the CA symposium--does anyone know it?

Neither TX nor Buffalo strike me as convenient, or is it just me? Were the sessions that have been held in recent years in FL and CA more so? Were they all in December? Certainly it's expensive to conduct these symposiums, but the greater expense is undertaken by those who attend--think how much money is being expended overall, and I think it becomes more plausible to contend that having a symposium in each zone would make more sense at the start, to get the program off to a flying start.

M. O'Connor-

The George Morris clinic in Buffalo in the fall has been an annual event for years, though I believe this is the first time it's been tied into the USHJA program.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post

It's voluntary now, right? Will there come a day when you won't be able to sign a USEF entry blank as trainer unless you're certified?
    I don't think it could ever really become mandatory, because there are some people who show without a trainer that have to sign the trainer blank themselves. These adult amateurs can't be expected to be certified as well. Right?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Come on, do they really think the likes of Missy Clark, Louise Serio, Peter Pletcher, Scott Stewart and (insert any other BNT here) are really going to get certified?

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    I don't think it could ever really become mandatory, because there are some people who show without a trainer that have to sign the trainer blank themselves. These adult amateurs can't be expected to be certified as well. Right?
    Yeah I had the same thought too. How are they going to enforce or police that since some amatuers sign the back?
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

The "trainer" blank basically serves the purpose of delineating who is on the hook for drug infractions.

Even when I do show with a trainer, I sign my own trainer form because I care for my horse and it is my "fault" if, God forbid, someone spikes his food with an illegal med.

Well, could you say that it's a no-brainer about CPR training? 'Cause there is a lot of data showing that individuals who have received certification are not necessarily practised in it, and as a result, CPR done wrong is a real and frequent problem. And the technique is being updated all the time.

There are 5 states currently that do not have limited liability in place for equestrian activities. I think that that has more of an effect on insurance rates than anything (for those of us in those states) -- so certification, phooey. And some, like Mass., do have an instructor certification in place that is required (true, MA dwellers?).

Buffalo is not convenient. Buffalo is the mid-West, for all practicality, which doesn't mean it's not convenient, but if the organizers were thinking, "Ah, we'll do a course in NY!," well, Buffalo is way, far away from the East coast.

After all of the above, I'm certainly thinking of doing this program.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    Buffalo is not convenient. Buffalo is the mid-West, for all practicality, which doesn't mean it's not convenient, but if the organizers were thinking, "Ah, we'll do a course in NY!," well, Buffalo is way, far away from the East coast.
    When has New York (ie any part of that state) been consider the "midwest"? St. louis or Chicago are the midwest... Nothing is convenient unless you live within driving distance. People from new york would have a problem with it if it was held in say virginia or north carolina. Perhaps they could hold these things at bigger a shows during the year in different parts of the country that would be logical, but again we're dealing with the ushja and usef when have they ever been logical?
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Yes MA trainers must be licensed and "riding schools" i.e. public lesson establishments need a license too. But truely its a joke. You take a multiple choice exam and its more on the laws of the state then anything else. So remember MA trainers, no more then ten hours of work for the horse per day!

As an Amateur, I have decided to go the certification route. Not only does it benefit myself through what I have learned, but I hope that with CPR certification and attending the clinic, I will be able to bring back ideas and tips for my fellow riders. I was attending the Trainer's Symposium anyways, to learn firsthand, and decided while there that I might as well take the next few steps to become certified. It doesn't hurt anything to do so =]. The only upcoming glitch I see for an amateur trying to beocme certified is the insurance issue.. I don't actually need "trainer's" insurance.
    CLIPclop Bodyclipping by Morgan
    Serving North GA with high quality clips.
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post

I would doubt it, because the USEF "Trainer" signature is all about who has care and custody of the horse, and who is the presumed "responsible person" if a drug test comes back positive.

For most horses that are not boarded at a show barn the owner or rider signs as trainer.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDreamRides View Post
    As an Amateur, I have decided to go the certification route. Not only does it benefit myself through what I have learned, but I hope that with CPR certification and attending the clinic, I will be able to bring back ideas and tips for my fellow riders. I was attending the Trainer's Symposium anyways, to learn firsthand, and decided while there that I might as well take the next few steps to become certified. It doesn't hurt anything to do so =]. The only upcoming glitch I see for an amateur trying to beocme certified is the insurance issue.. I don't actually need "trainer's" insurance.
    The application says that the applicant must be declared as a pro.
    http://www.ushja.org/TCP/Application-C1.pdf.pdf

Guess they will need another signature if they want to make trainer cert. mandatory. Maybe "Horse Care Manager" or "Medication Administrator"

Thanks PTF - I just noticed that myself and fired off an email to USHJA. At the SCAD Symposium, Amateurs were encouraged to apply. I'm gonna be a little ticked if I paid to go, and then won't be allowed to be certified.

But only a little, since I DID learn a lot! It just seemed that there were other students who went with their trainers and didn't pay, because they weren't going to apply to be certified. So, if I could have gone for free...
    CLIPclop Bodyclipping by Morgan
    Serving North GA with high quality clips.
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred