The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Looking at possibly moving to Nebraska-Anyone there???

Hey all, My husband has been offered a job in Nebraska (Lincoln/Omaha) area. What is there "horsey" up that way?

I ride dressage and like to trail ride. For right now we would have to board, I have 2 geldings. My husband is just getting started with jumping (when he has time).

I have done a little looking in the internet but am having a hard time finding anything...

Anyone have any pointers or know anyone in that area that can lead me in the right direction???

Thanks!

You might try contacting someone with the Nebraska Dressage Association. I know that there is a quite a bit of activity over there because one of my friends used to go to Lincoln and Omaha quite frequently to audit clinics.

There are several fox hunting clubs up there that would welcome you to their membership. If your in Omaha you are right on the boarder with Iowa- I think the neighboring town is Council Bluffs, Iowa.

The Nebraska Horse Council www.nebraskahorsecouncil.org might have contact info for multiple disciplines (dressage, jumping, trails) for you.
    Incredible Invisible

If you have interest in jumping here are the barns: http://www.inhja.com/

Some may have dressage trainers too. I've ridden (dressage) with Missy Fladland who doesn't operate out of Omaha, but Omaha is closer to her than where I come from! I mention her more for clinic or lesson opportunities once you have found a place--she is very nice and professional. Here is a recent article:

http://dressagedaily.com/index.php?o...9lp&Itemid=382

Omaha is a nice area--good luck with your search!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I understand you gotta do what you gotta do, hubby and I lived in Buffalo for two years after college. That said, Nebraska is COLD! I hope you aren't a TX native because you are going to be in for the shock of your life.
    I am originally from Iowa. I don't know about dressage but the INHJA that the other posted listed is a truly legit deal, at least it was back then. If a horse could compete there they could compete anywhere.
    Best of luck to you!

In the Omaha area I would recommend checking with Jim Urban at Quail Run. They are involved with INHJA, but I would imagine Jim has good contacts for any dressage people in the area.

Anyone else have the incredible urge to reply with:

No, no one lives in Nebraska.....

lol Thanks for the laugh Ajierene I needed that this morning!

Thanks for the info. I grew up in East Texas and lived in Central Indiana for several years. I am not a "fan" of cold, but the heat this year has really cut down on my want to get out and ride. Especially since I work 8-5 and it is HOT when I get to the barn Boogs looks at me like I have lost my mind! So cooler would be good right now and if the barn has an indoor I can deal with cold as long as the wind is not blowing on me.

It seems I can put on enough clothes to keep somewhat warm, but if I take off enough to get cool...I get in trouble jk, really :s

The Dressage Foundation
    Wells Fargo Center, Suite 732
    1248 O Street
    Lincoln, NE 68508

http://www.nebraskadressage.org/redesign/index.htm

I drove through Nebraska with a friend. We drove through some of the bigger cities and some of the "prettier" places.

She's raised on a pretty rural ranch in a very small farm town in Northern Colorado. She's laid back, easy going, and I've never heard her say anything negative. Ever.

Without hesitation, and without prompting, She said she wouldn't be caught dead living in Nebraska.

I am purposely taking any route besides I80 when I have to travel cross country so I won't have to step foot in Nebraska.

Wind like you've never believed. Tornados. Hail storms. Cows, cow vets, cowboys. I bet you get humidity on the East, too.

Just something to think about Good luck with your decision.

I got back into riding after 20 years while living in Lincoln (2002-03) and bought my OTTB from a woman who travels around picking up prospects from all over and lives right outside of Omaha. I really liked it there altho in fairness since I was just getting back into horses can't say what the show scene was like. I doubt it will be too hard to find a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    Anyone else have the incredible urge to reply with:

No, no one lives in Nebraska.....
    Yes, I do!

I had to drop a mare off near Omaha in April some years ago. I drove through a blizzard...IN APRIL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by otisrider View Post
    I got back into riding after 20 years while living in Lincoln (2002-03) and bought my OTTB from a woman who travels around picking up prospects from all over and lives right outside of Omaha. I really liked it there altho in fairness since I was just getting back into horses can't say what the show scene was like. I doubt it will be too hard to find a good place.
    Karen Nielsen? We have 2 boys in our barn who came from Karen - one has some serious AO potential.

Omaha is a nice town. I have friends who live there and have been there lots of times. Lovely area. While I do agree with FatPalomino's assessment of I-80, the eastern part of NE is nice. Yes, there is a variety of weather, but you already have that in TX.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I've lived here in Lincoln since the end of October. I moved for my job... from Colorado. I want to go back SO badly. I had a difficult time finding decent boarding or really a horsey community here at all. There are a lot of farmers, but it seems the main focus for livestock, if any, is on cattle. But really there's mostly a lot of corn. You might have better luck in the Omaha area.... but I really feel that Lincoln is lacking.
    The winter here was cold (and OHMIGOD the WIND), and summer thus far is hot and humid (so not used to that after living in Colorado). I think there are worse places to be.... But like I said... I'd rather be back in Colorado!

I'll be another one moving to Omaha. My SO is stationed there and I'll be following when I graduate. Heat is relative, I spend most of the year in Minneapolis/St Paul, MN. To me, Omaha gets warm.

Feel free to send me a PM as we're going barn hunting for the SO in a few weeks.

The Omaha area is decent. You get outside of that area (west) and there isn't much to look at. I'm just under two hours east of Omaha, in central Iowa, about 25 minutes west of Des Moines. There are plenty of dressage and H/J opportunities but you have to look for them. I don't ride western either,and to hear some tell it, that's the only riding done around here. Not true

I have Saddlebreds, and my youngest and I are beginning our dressage career. I found a fantastic instructor about 20 minutes away, who is linked up with a BNT from the Kansas City area who comes up for clinics every month. There's a HUGE, brand new H/J facility just south of Des Moines - Maffitt Lake Equestrian Center. They had a couple GP evnts in May, and will be hosting several more shows throughout the summer and also a large dressage show in October.

I'm a member of The Moingona Hunt (Des Moines based) and we do a lot with North Hills (Omaha based) and a couple Kansas based hunts.

Feel free to PM me

Default It's not that bad

I grew up in Nebraska - the central part of the state between Grand Island and York.
    Yes, there are a lot of cowboys in Nebraska, but I don't think that they have cornered the market. There are just as many in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado. If you are in the Omaha area, it is very horsey. There are a number of barns in the area, plus at least 2 hunt clubs.
    I was the only one who rode hunters in my part of the state...not one of a few, the only one. It was great for me, I liked the attention. There are more now.

Nebraska is the home of the founder of the United States Dressage Federation, after all. Lowell Boomer still lives in Nebraska, I believe, if he is still alive. My brother and I both trained with him in the late 1970's.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    Karen Nielsen? We have 2 boys in our barn who came from Karen - one has some serious AO potential.
    Yes I did get him from Karen (w/ only some AO potential!)

Hey, pretty cool there are some of you on here from the area! It has been so hot and sticky here my horse tries to hide from me when I get to the barn!

Hubby is going up the 1st and 2nd to have a look and meet with the Co up there and make a decision on if it is something to pursue further or to drop. So will keep ya'll posted