The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The Story of Outside Chot...my rescue and re-rescue

There is truly no place like home! My name is Chot and I was adopted by Maggie in Jan 2000 from ReRun in KY. I was an OTTB with little training and many ghosts. Unfortunately one of my ghosts surfaced in Oct 2001 and I injured Maggie quite badly. She never rode me again, and I pretty much have never let anyone ride me consistently since. Maggie tried many trainers, experts, vets, etc. and finally felt that in March 2005 it was time to see if someone else might be a better home for me. So we sadly parted but with high hopes I was going on to a better life in New Mexico.

I was supposed to just be a trail horse and companion horse, but my new owner could not resist my lovely gaits and tried to make me into an upper level dressage horse. I could only stand it for so long and went back to my bucking ways. She tried to misrepresent me in order to sell me but ReRun fortunately found out. I was returned to ReRun in KY where I stayed for over a year looking for another home. Maggie still kept in touch with me but still thought it best to let ReRun find me that perfect home.

In Nov 07 I was adopted to my new ‘forever’ home in North Carolina. Maggie even got to approve my new owner. Boy did he have ReRun and Maggie fooled. Things were great for about a year and I did lots of trail riding in the NC mountains. But my owner forgot about me over the winter and left me with a friend that did not care very much. I was left out all winter with no grain and a cribbing muzzle so I could not eat much. I cribbed through 3 cribbing muzzles trying to eat. They noticed that but they didn't seem to notice that my bones that were protruding. During the long cold nights, I kept clicking my hooves and repeating ‘I want to go home, I want to go home’ but it just didn’t seem to work. I have almost given up hope that anyone cared.

ReRun fortunately checked in on me in April 09 and found me in horrible condition. ReRun negotiated a deal to get me back and then contacted Maggie as they were not sure I was going to make it. The vet gave me a body condition score of of a 1+ to 2- and I have possibly suffered some liver and kidney damage. I survived the next few weeks in the vet hospital and then a foster home....but I got stronger. And I kept clicking my hooves and repeating ‘I want to go home, I want to go home’.

On June 7th I was loaded onto a very big trailer with no idea where I was going. Not again I thought. The trip was long but the people took good care of me and were very nice. Late on June 10th, the trailer stopped and as I walked down the ramp, I knew my dreams had been answered…..I was finally home! And Maggie tells me I am never going away again!

From Maggie -

Thank God ReRun follows up each year on their horses and found Chot before it was too late. I can not say enough about the work ReRun is doing and how well they do it. The team at ReRun is dedicated, compassionate and works darn hard to help OTTBs find new homes. And they are there to jump into action when those homes are not good ones.

The gentleman who did this to Chot is Wrey D Crawford Jr. of High Point, NC. Mr Crawford had options - he could have called ReRun at any time, and he could have called me at any time. We spoke several times early on and he knew Chot would always have a home with me. Mr Crawford told me how wonderful Chot was and how much he enjoyed trail riding him. And Mr Crawford is not without means. There is no rational Mr Crawford can use to justify his actions.

I will never even begin to understand how someone can neglect an animal and watch them suffer. Yet we see it day in and day out. My prayers go out to all the incredible folks who work so hard to end the suffering. Chot thanks you and I thank you.

Pictures of Chot can be seen on my website as I don't know how to post here....go to the "our horses" tab and then to Outside Chot.

www.stoneymeadowfarms.com
    m

Wow! Chot is gorgeous. Thank you Maggie and Thank you ReRun for looking out for this special guy.

Welcome home to your pretty boy! Thanks for being a part of his life!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

If you send me the pics I can post thumbnails for you neckamws at slu dot edu
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Glad to hear about Chot, and also rerun's good work too.
    What happened to the other horse with Chot?

I just don't get people.

I saw Chot when he was for sale as an "upper level" dressage horse, did a little research and alerted ReRun.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Default Thanks Sabovee!

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for doing your homework. I was amazed when ReRun called me to tell me they found out Chot was for sale and the ad showed him in a double bridle. He had been sent to a trainer in LA for several months who thought a double would help control the bucking. I guess they also thought advertising him in a double would be enough so they didn't have to disclose the bucking.

Where the woman who had him even thought trail horse/companion with no stress could translate into upper level dressage horse still is beyond me.
    m

and here are the before and after pics - and no, these are not in the wrong order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chot july 00 cropped.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	25733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chot april 09.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	25734  
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Now that Chot is home again, maybe it might be a good idea for him to see a chiropractor.
    2 reasons, starvation does odd things to a horses skeletal stucture, and 2 the bucking was caused by something. I'd do it if It was me.

Default tried that, done that

truly appreciate the suggestion. know the story didn't provide many details; to provide a bit more, this horse has been evaluated from head to toe by some of the finest vets in the midwest. Chiropractics, massage, acupuncture, etc all used. I spent many, many, many, many, many thousands trying to sort this horse out. No rock was left unturned in trying to address any physical or mental issues. There is no physical cause for the bucking. he's fine until something triggers in his brain and he goes off with no cause or warning but it is definitely induced by any stress like training. hence he was only to be a companion/trail horse. may be that he was cattle proded in the starting gate that left him with many ghosts. So he will just enjoy being well fed and very well loved as he deserves.

happy to say he continues to show great improvement. Good weight gain, coat brightening up, first trim in probably 9 months, a massage and the cribbing is pretty much gone. the look in his eye has softened and he is loving all the attention he is getting. The story I posted here is posted on his stall and no one can pass by without giving him some affection.
    m

I have now wept through this a couple of times. I am a firm believer that "if" bad times must happen to an animal, let it be at the start of his life. The end MUST be a good and happy one. What you have done for Chot is no less than mind boggling. My hat is off to you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

So glad he has you.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneymeadow View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for doing your homework. I was amazed when ReRun called me to tell me they found out Chot was for sale and the ad showed him in a double bridle. He had been sent to a trainer in LA for several months who thought a double would help control the bucking. I guess they also thought advertising him in a double would be enough so they didn't have to disclose the bucking.

Where the woman who had him even thought trail horse/companion with no stress could translate into upper level dressage horse still is beyond me.
    Glad I could help the little bit that I did!
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com