The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Death by Shetland pony

My mare faced Death last night.... in the form of a 39 inch Shetland show pony.

I always thought horse people were exaggerating when they claimed that their horses are TERRIFIED of Shetlands. Or at the very least that they own an exceptionally flighty horse. I can now confirm that these stories are true.

A 2 year old Shetland Pinto pony just moved into the barn a couple of days ago. I was grooming my mare in the crossties when the little girl comes around the corner leading the beautiful show pony, freshly bathed and glowing. My mare caught it's scent and her eyes widened in disbelief. Her head slowly pivoted to the right and she locked eyes with Death. She was trapped.

I was in no way prepared for her reaction. My brave, courageous, never-spook mare was terrified! Her eyes were huge, she was blowing like a racehorse and trying to pull back on the ties. I quickly snapped her lead on and she bolted out of the wash stall. After a few seconds of prancing she quickly settled back to her sensible self, but seriously?! Why are horses sooo frightened of small ponies? Feel free to share your experiences and similar stories of horror.
    Last edited by acking01; Jun. 18, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Oh yea, it's too funny! I put the yearling mini in one of the pastures and all the horses were in a line hanging over the fence staring wide eyed and snorting, running along the fence line. She would run over and do the GAH GAH baby mouth at them and they would take off and she would run back over to me, get on the other side of my legs, lean on me and look around at them. Then it would start all over again, LOL! It was so funny to see 12 horses all with the same look on their face "WTH is that?? Did you SEE that?? Will it attack us??"
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Conny was terrified of minis, not ponies.

He'd keep a wary eye on a pony just in case, 'cause y'know, it's small and just MIGHT be a large mini. But the poor thing would be a shaking, bug eyed, sweating, nervous wreck anytime he saw an actual mini.

He wasn't friendly with ponies, but then, he wasn't really friendly with any horse, large or small.

It always amused me that he was so freaked out by minis, because he was barely 14.1 h on a good day, but he was totally convinced he was 18 h of all that!
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

I love my husband's analysis of this situation. He says, "if you saw a leprechaun walking down the street, you would know exactly what it was but it would still scare the crap out of you."

I can sooooo relate. My beloved OTTB gelding who never batted an eyelash at tarp monsters flapping on landscapping trucks driving by, fireworks, deer jumping out at us, etc. was absolutly terrified of the ponies at a barn I moved him to. They happened to be kept right off the end of the outdoor. It took weeks to get him to go to that end of the ring.

Of course after having a mare who was a real bully in the field that was brought back into line by sticking a pony out with her, I know how mean they can be
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I love this!

(oops--I meant the leprechaun quote!)

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

LOL - you should see my 3 nitwits whenever the neighbors dwarf mini gets loose and wanders on our fenceline! Even the usually unflapable mare gets to looking like an arab, with arched neck, snorting, tail flagged, and can spin and run pretty quickly for an old lady.

And the mini, who lives with 3 full size horses and another shetland pony looks at them like "what is your problem?".

Even more entertaining is when one of the beef cattle get loose and wander the fencelines!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Default My mare is in DOUBLE jeopardy! LOL!

Not only does Porkchop, the Pony, TERRIFY my mare horribly... Porkchop is owned by my Amish neighbors, and the kids do the most evil, most horrible, most unthinkable things... not only do they ride double on Porkchop all over the hayfield, they DRIVE Porkchop next to my mare's pasture (hehehe, on purpose because I asked them to). THE HORRORS!!!!!! First Shadow wants to know WHAT Porkchop is and WHEN he's going to eat her, but THEN, what in the WORLD is CHASING Porkchop!??!?! OMG!! SNORT BLOW RUN, Flag your Tail, make yourself look huge, because that THING is going to GET ME!!!!!!

It's so ridiculous. I told the Amish guy next door... have the kids drive the pony all over my yard... the more she sees it, the more she'll mellow, I hope... but I'm beginning to think that's NEVER going to happen!!

Darn ponies!!!!
    Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - My Horse, My Heart <3

Default Why are horses terrified of small ponies?

Because small ponies are tiny mutant horses from outer space sent to infiltrate the equine community.

I tried to get my mare to go see a small pony while we were at a show once, after bolting to try to get away from the thing in warm ups, and I guess with my leg pushing her forward she didn't have anywhere to go and decided to try a rear... nothing bad, but boy was it funny. It was almost like she didn't have anywhere to go, so to keep her front end from being eaten she moved it the only way she thought she could go... up! She has since then gotten over her pony fear...

Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Because small ponies are tiny mutant horses from outer space sent to infiltrate the equine community.
    And they bite ankles!

Just ask my 17.3 2,000lb Percheron who used to be chased across 20 acres by Muffin: 12.2hh wide-body pony. She was all hair and teeth. Quite the site to see my Tank running in terror from Muffin who was right on Tank's heels, teeth bared.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Liscar View Post
    It's so ridiculous. I told the Amish guy next door... have the kids drive the pony all over my yard... the more she sees it, the more she'll mellow, I hope... but I'm beginning to think that's NEVER going to happen!!

Darn ponies!!!!
    It might happen, but you might have to help. One of my other neighbors drives a big cart with his TWH, and there are bells on the cart to top it all off.

Well, the first time he came over the rise, my daughter and I had just dismounted (thank you guardian angels), and both geldings RAN backwards, snorting and blowing. We humans just went with them (since they were all tacked up), and my neighbor stopped and spoke, and then my younger gelding realized it was his buddy pulling the dragon behind him. So we all just stood there chatting for a few minutes, and I think because my daughter and I didn't not over-react, that our horses got over their fear.

Every time he came by after that I made it a point to go to the fence and chat, and before I knew it, all 3 nosey horses come to check it out, the youngest one tries to help remove the harness if he is close enough to the fence!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

They know ponies are evil.

Everyone knows ponies are evil. Especially the ones that are assigned to teach children how to ride.

My sister had the same reaction from her horses when she brought the mini donks in but to make it really fun, when they first brayed, she needed a paint scraper to scrape them off the walls and ceilings!!!

My friend brought her son's 8hh pony over to ride so that our boys could ride their ponies together the other day. She led it into my barn and my horses all took a look and said, "dog". It took her standing in front of one horse's stall for a bit for him to even come sniff noses to realize that it wasn't a dog. The other horse never did realize that we didn't just have a new dog on the farm. My son's pony on the other hand, actually got to be the "big" pony at 11hh
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel L View Post
    I love my husband's analysis of this situation. He says, "if you saw a leprechaun walking down the street, you would know exactly what it was but it would still scare the crap out of you."

Minis and Shetlands are only small on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel L View Post
    Hahahaha!!

We recently had a 40" move in. My girl was terrified at first. The kicker is that my horse and this "pony" share the same name. The shetland now has mini appended to the end of her name.

my dingbat gelding is afraid of both minis and foals (cause they are mini-sized I guess ) but had no problem with the mini-donk - his logic is razor sharp, let me tell you. I found out the foal part one day when I was riding him and the new mare and foal on the property walked into his view in the field at the end of the outdoor. He froze and WOULD. NOT. MOVE. His heart was pounding so hard I could feel it with my calves and he was flat terrified. I finally got him to move, but I never got him anywhere remotely close to that end of the arena and he would not take his eyes off the foal the entire ride.
    I thought he had gotten over his fear of the farm mini but a few weeks ago, the mini followed him as I was leading him through the mini's field and he was about doing backflips trying to get away from the mini and keep an eye on him at the same time
    I always figured if I wanted to watch an animal's head literally explode, I would take him to the end of the road and show him the alpacas I really think it might kill him . . . or me
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    my dingbat gelding is afraid of both minis and foals (cause they are mini-sized I guess ) but had no problem with the mini-donk - his logic is razor sharp, let me tell you. I found out the foal part one day when I was riding him and the new mare and foal on the property walked into his view in the field at the end of the outdoor. He froze and WOULD. NOT. MOVE. His heart was pounding so hard I could feel it with my calves and he was flat terrified. I finally got him to move, but I never got him anywhere remotely close to that end of the arena and he would not take his eyes off the foal the entire ride.
    I thought he had gotten over his fear of the farm mini but a few weeks ago, the mini followed him as I was leading him through the mini's field and he was about doing backflips trying to get away from the mini and keep an eye on him at the same time
    I always figured if I wanted to watch an animal's head literally explode, I would take him to the end of the road and show him the alpacas I really think it might kill him . . . or me

hilarious. thank you for the images now playing in my head!