The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Time to replace my Passier, or how tight it too tight in saddle fit?

I'm worried because my saddle fit is starting to get tight behind the withers. No dry spots or anything yet, it just feels tighter than I think it should. She still moves like a dream in the saddle (I think with her history, she would let me know if it hurt her) but I want to know when I need to start looking for a replacement, or have I already passed that point?
    Last edited by Twigster; Jun. 18, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

If you love the saddle, why not contact Passier and ask about having the tree adjusted? The Lenox is a newer model, so they should be able to make some adjustments to the tree.

When I called with the serial number (I bought it used) they told me it was from 1991? I didn't even know adjusting them was an option, but I will certainly look into it!

You can't be serious. Consult a saddle fitter or even a trainer who can look at your horse and the saddle. Any advice you get only based on your description will be worth what you paid for it. Nuthin.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    You can't be serious. Consult a saddle fitter or even a trainer who can look at your horse and the saddle. Any advice you get only based on your description will be worth what you paid for it. Nuthin.
    Is that really necessary? What I am looking for is a place to start working with my chiro and brands to look at, so that I am not inundated with saddle types from the start.

It's a pretty good assumption that if you think it's getting too tight, it is. Most people don't realize their saddles are too narrow, so to at least recognize that...

Definitely see about a saddle fitter, preferably an independent one, coming out. There is more to the fit than just the width at the shoulders

Thanks JB, our chiro does some fitting, and at our next visit I would like to have some ideas to talk over her with instead of coming to the table empty handed.

Think about it. How can anyone here tell you if your saddle is too tight or not? Hmmm?

not MY saddle but classic signs for A saddle. as in, since I am not at a super nice barn where fitters come regularly, how do I know when to call one without being a total hypochondriac?