The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pavers in the barn aisle....

Hi All,

I have a few questions for those of you with pavers in the barn aisle...

Are they hard to keep clean? Do you get a lot stuff caught in the cracks between the pavers? Have you had any trouble with them buldging or sinking or any of them needing to be replaced?

I love the way they look but think they might be a pain in the butt to keep clean in a high traffic area.

I have been wanting to try pavers in a barn aisle. I think concrete pavers have as much slip resistance as broom-tex concrete, way better than brick, and are more attractive, plus you can do it yourself. I would broom fine mason sand down into the cracks, maybe settle it with a misting of water, then broom more sand to level. This should stabilize plus drain. The driveways with a well-prepared base seem to hold level. An existing barn aisle should be packed enough so only a little stone dust/crusher fines added and mechanically tamped should give a firm enough base. I also think it would be easy to inset rubber mats, with more base and tamping, where appropriate.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I have brick pavers in my aisle. Not the thin stuff - big thick pavers.

I'm not sure it is the most practical surface to have in an aisle, but I do not find that it traps much. I put sand down and swept it in - wet it down - swept some more.

Very stable, and I have hosed it down. Very nonslip - have had horses acting stupid and they didn't fall or slip. Have not replaced any and I've got some pretty big horses. One has borium applied to his shoes for foxhunting and they have made marks on the brick but no real damage.

I do wear down brooms fairly quickly. The surface of the bricks have a very high sand content.

Hope that helps.

I asked COTH about these pavers a few years ago when a friend was considering them, almost everyone responded about how difficult they are to keep clean, unless you keep them hosed down. Otherwise they require lots of sweeping. But she went ahead with them and they look beautiful and are very comfortable to stand on, they have not moved or shifted at all although leveling the floor underneath before installation was a big job. Its only a 6 stall barn so in her case keeping it clean is not really an issue since there is not a lot of aisle to sweep.

When I was younger I used to ship into an old stable that had thick brick pavers in the aisles. They had such a lovely old world feel. IMO they had to be at least 20 years old at the time and looked good but it was a dark barn. On another note my horse was scared to death of the "red floor" .

I have brick pavers. They are in no way slippery, not even when wet. The first comment my vet made when he came out for the first time was how great the traction of the flooring was. They have more traction than brushed concrete. My brick man also claimed they will keep the traction they do have much longer than concrete. (Something about concrete is air dried so softer while bricks are kiln dried thus harder.)

Mine are set in mortar, not sand swept. They are a pain to sweep with a broom, but are no problem to blow with blower. I'm not sure why, but I really don't notice so much when the floors are dirty. With 4 horses I only blow them out every few days. I hose them down once every couple of months for good measure.

Here's a photo before horses moved in. As far as the darker floor creating a dark barn the photo was taken without a flash with every door in the barn closed and the lights off, so not dark but nicely mellow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barn aisle reduced.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	25724  

subk, that aisle floor is beautiful !
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I've lived with my concrete paver floor in the main barn now for about 2 years and just love it! There actually is a finishing type sand that is sold with the pavers - you brush it into the spaces between the pavers and then water it. It will dry pretty hard and you don't have to re-do it anytime soon...

Yes, you will wear down brooms a little faster but then I also have a cheap leaf blower with a re-chargeable battery that comes in very handy.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.