The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Predator bugs for fly control

This is quite an informative article about controlling flies. We started using predator bugs at our barn last year and they did seem to help. Does anyone else use them?

http://www.barnmice.com/profiles/blo...lies-in-equine

We used them this year, I think we have more flies this year than before I will not waste my money again!! BUYER BEWARE!!!
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I totally disagree.

There have been at least two other threads on here recently on the same topic.

I have used fly predators for six years now and wouldn't go back. It gets better and better each year. However, this year has been quite wet and that must kill off the tiny little creatures.

I have two neighbors down the street who also have horses and don't use fly predators. A girl who spends time at one came to my house for a horse-sitting job and noticed the lack of flies immediately. She was going to tell my neighbor about fly predators.

None of my other suburban neighbors have ever complained about flies.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I have a question about these things. What if you have cattle farms in the surrounding areas who don't use these? I can't see how it will help all that much when we are surrounded by cattle farms. Any thoughts? I have not tried them.
    Don't breed- Adopt your steed!
    Mountain View Rescue

I also have a dairy farm about a mile away as the crows (and the flies) fly. Supposedly, the fly predators are less effective if you live within one mile of a facility that doesn't use them. But I went ahead and tried them. I won't go back. The two other horse properties near me are less than 1/4 mi. away and they don't use them. They have 8 and 6 horses, respectively. The dairy farm might have 100 cows; I'm not sure.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Maybe it is the rain, but I started using them this year and feel like I might as well go drop dollar bills around my pasture every month for all the good they seem to be doing. The flies are terrible!

I use the Arbico ones. I think it has been at least 4 years now. I used to buy the batches for 1-5 horses (I have 5 on my property now). This year I'm using the 6-10 horse batch(may try filling that 6th stall!) and I've barely noticed many flies. I'm not sure if it's because it's been a cooler spring so far or the larger amount of predators, but I've been quite pleased.
    I'm also finally following the directions correctly this year, so maybe that has something to do with it, too!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    Maybe it is the rain, but I started using them this year and feel like I might as well go drop dollar bills around my pasture every month for all the good they seem to be doing. The flies are terrible!

I'm in GA. we've had rain but not that much. I don't understand why they are not working for us. I feel the same way, like I'm throwing dollar bills in my pasture. Just put out a new batch this A.M. I'm still having to put up fly strips (which are full by the end of the day and fly spray twice to three times a day). I'm surronded by subdivisions. I don't know, just my luck I guess.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Back at home (I am in college no in Indiana) in the PNW one of the places I worked at used the predators religiously every year and I LOVED cleaning stalls there because there were no flies! Mind you that was the PNW so it rained often and never affected the predators.

This year I encourage my barn out here to use the fly predators this year because the flys were terrible last year. They did and we have noticed a HUGE improvement. It is true that often you don't see good results until the second year. I have also heard that people have had trouble with the fly predators that are not from Spalding labs. I don't know because I've never been at a place where they used any other brands.

If your predators aren't working and this is your first year and you could afford to do them again I would highly recommend trying them again and just see if they work better.

Default Use them and love them.

I have used them for about 7 years now. 2 years in MI before I moved and 5 years down here. In order for them to work properly you have to follow the instructions and start prior to the fly season. In MI I got my first order (which is always a double batch) in late April/early May and them subsiquent monthly orders throughout the summer. Here I start in March with the double order and go though November. If you don't get a head start they can catch up some but you will see more flies. You also have to be careful about using fly spray's on the animals. You can still use it but should not spray it on them in an area where the predators were resleased. They need to be released around dusk (so they can find a hiding spot that is cooler before the sun balzes down) and you can't release them as the storm clouds are rolling in. Also, find the freshest piles to release them onto. I usually walk aroung, find freshest piles, open pile up with foot and sprinkle, then move on to the next pile.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I just started them two months ago in Mississippi. Have 5 horse, so bought the Arbico ones (cheaper, include shipping) for 6-10. I've noticed a dramatic decrease in flies already, but it might be the placebo effect.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Another unhappy camper here. We started them recently (we are on our third shipment). At first I thought there was a reduction in fly population after the second shipment. But now, it seems that the barn is swarming with them. We did have a guest in last weekend who asked why there were no flies in our fields when compared to other farms. I thought "????". She is right, the fields seem to have much fewer flies. Right now, I am thinking of putting the spray system back on in the barn as I can't stand it. We use the ones from Spalding Labs. I am going to give it another month but then it's back to chemical warfare!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I just put some out 2 weeks ago. I've never really had a fly problem until last year. Last year and this spring were bad. I have seen a big decrease in the barn. Two weeks ago I might have seen 10 or more flies bugging each horse, now maybe one or two.

Out in the fields I'm not seeing a lot of flies but more the biting nasty gnat things. Anyone got a suggestion on what will kill / eat those buggers?

This is our first year using the ones from Spalding Labs. We still have flies but not like we've had in the past. I don't know why it's taken use so long to try these.

Default I Love Predator Flies

I've used Spaulding Labs for years and I'm happy. My barn will be 100% fly free, but 95% is fine with me. This year has been a bit more challenging with all the wet weather. I think it works in the flies' favor, but predators definitely help. I can't imagine doing without them.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

We're using Spalding fly predators and have been since March. I usually put them out in the morning though... wonder if that makes a difference? Maybe I'll try using them in the evening next month.

We have been using them for years where I ride and they seem to help a lot. One of the farriers claims we are the best barn in the area as far as the fly population. We have one dedicated boarder who is in charge of them and she is scrupulous about adding them to the paddocks, and all other areas. I think she is a big part of the success of the program.

The directions do say to put on fresh manure wherever you find it.

With that in mind, I've often left a plop or two in/around the barn area and put fly preds there to help with the flies in the barn. I've also hung fly strips to help.

But if the only thing I do is scatter the preds over the manure pile, how much good does that do? I really need to put some out in the field too.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

They work much better if you start way before it gets hot, and with way more than you think you need
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by MVR View Post
    I have a question about these things. What if you have cattle farms in the surrounding areas who don't use these? I can't see how it will help all that much when we are surrounded by cattle farms. Any thoughts? I have not tried them.
    I have cattle next door, and they don't use them. I was starting to think that I was wasting my money until I visited another neighbor who doesn't use them. My place is much, much better. I'll keep using them.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket