The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Kitty with tongue ulcers-ideas?

My 13yo kitty Cisco has been losing weight and his coat looks very unthrifty.

Yesterday when I fed him I watched him-he WANTED to eat and would take a bite, then give up.

So off to the vet we went.

He found tongue ulcers and that he is 10-15% percent deydrated.

He did bloodwork and he is negative to Feline Leuk and no signs of kidney failure.

He stayed the night at the vet and we are waiting the results of his thyroid test today.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

I am just getting some feedback in case his thyroid is normal!

The vet mentioned it could be a virus....not sure what else we could be looking for-some kind of oral cancer maybe?

I know I will have more answers today-just talking in the meantime.

I hope that vet is pulling a "free T4" test. The regular T3 and T4 tests won't show you what you need to know.

If he needs methimizole for hyperthyroidism, try it. I hope your vet doesn't charge too much for it.

However, do your research. There may be some alternatives since methimizole itself can cause vomiting.

Good luck to you and your cat.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

thanks...how do you give that? shot? oral? daily?

I worry if his care will be 'complicated' because he is an outside kitty.

I have tried to have him inside and the littler pan is simply a suggestion to him-not a requirement.

He also earned himself a leather sofa after he decided it was tree bark.

Maybe we will get lucky and he just ate a bad squirrel or something and some antibiotics will fix him.

Tongue ulcers are apparently not rare or unusual. But they are gross.

I had two cats just go through this. One was a feral cat that decided to live on my back deck, I noticed he wasn't eating or drinking and then he had some really thick nasty smelling drool. Unfortunately unknown to me at the time my daughter had seen a catnip stuffed toy outside and tossed it in the house for my indoor kitty...and within 48 hours she had the same issues with not eating/drinking and then a thick smelly drool. Took indoor kitty to vet (handling feral kitty can be life threatening) and she was also dehydrated and haad tongue ulcers. I asked the vet about it having never dealt with that before and he said often there's no known reason for how cats get them but they can be catchy.
    He gave her fluids and sent her home with 3 bottles of Clavamox liquid so I could also treat the feral cat. Gee thanks for the oral meds for the wild cat doc.
    twice a day she got a full dropperful, I found an easy way to give it to her. Wrapped up in a towel kitty burrito style and paid upright on the bed. Grabbed top jaw from above and tips of fingers in sides of her mouth and tilted her head back. Squirted liquid to the back of her mouth. Cleared up the ulcers in 10-14 days. Doc said to just keep giving it to them until ulcers were completely gone.
    Did similar for feral cat and Spare kitty was none too hapy about it. But the poor thing was miserable with that festering ulcer on the tip of his tongue (indoor kitty had it in the center of her tongue) and I got maybe a dose a day in him overall....but there were many times we missed days and once in a while I was able to catch him twice a day. His cleared up in 3 weeks.
    Vet did say most of the time they clear up on their own but can be dangerous because cats don't eat or drink well when they have tongue ulcers and can end up very sick or pass away from the not eating or drinking enough. Kitty kidneys can't take that.
    Hope this helps...I had never dealt with it before either. Haven't forgotten the smell of those ulcers though...poor cats.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

thanks! that sounds less doom and gloom!

All his test are normal.

They want to keep him hydrated one more day and start some meds.

He will come home tomorrow with his meds

Yay Cisco Kitty!

Tongue ulcers are a symptom of the calici virus. If that is what it is, he is probably coming home with clavamox. I had a kitten develop tongue ulcers when he was sick with that virus and although he got very sick, he did recover without incident. Jingles for Cisco.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I had one that had ulcers on the inside of his lip. Kinda like a human canker sore. It looked horrible and his lip looked like it was falling off. Turned out it was some kind of allergy and he got weekly Prednisone shots for a month. Also had antibiotics. It cleared right up and when ever it showed signs of returning we hauled kitty in for a shot.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Ulcers on the inside of lips and corner of the mouth requiring pred. and antibiotics are probably stomatitis. I have a cat with that too. That one frequently requires removal of many teeth.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Ulcers on the inside of lips and corner of the mouth requiring pred. and antibiotics are probably stomatitis. I have a cat with that too. That one frequently requires removal of many teeth.
    That is how he is being treated-pred and antibiotics.

Sounds a little more serious but at least he is coming home!

I wanted to bring this thread to closure.

Cisco came home on Saturday, is happily enjoying his temporary new 24/7 inside life (well 24/5 then back to hunting he goes)!

He is gaining weight, his coat already has a little more shine.

Today he was SOUND asleep in the sunshine in the laundry room after enjoying his canned food and soaked kibble!

AWWWWWW good to hear!
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Along with the Clavamox, you can give the cat oral lysine paste. It will help cure the ulcers. I took lysine tablets to cure a ulcerated area on my mouth that didn't respond to the antibiotic cream the dentist prescribed for me.