The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Angry Don't laugh... Disappearing flower mystery

Something is eating/stealing my flowers.

Seriously? I think it's bigfoot. Or a lunatic neighbor.

A few weeks ago hubby gave me this purty little viney plant with big pink flowers all over it (yes that's as technical of a plant name that you'll ever get out of me). It stayed in the house for a bit and then I put it outside on the porch railing to get acclimated so I could decide where to plant/kill it. Yup, I have a brown thumb and plants die when I look at them but I do still try.

One day i noticed all of the flowers and tendrils that it was sending out to climb with were GONE. Looked like they had been cut off with scissors. Asked hubby if he had "attacked" he plant and he said no.. suggested maybe a bird did it.

Next it was the flowers off a plant in a tall (16") pot next to the porch. 3 flowers eaten overnight, leaves not touched. Hubby suggests our free range chickens. I don't think so.

Now I repot the purple flower plant and I buy some kind of light blue flowers and a (OMG I KNOW THE NAME OF THIS ONE) peach colored Hybiscus. Plant them in matching pot across the sidewalk..

Last night the attacker returned. Ate TWO perfect peach Hybiscus flowers and The ENTIRE purple flower plant. WTF?

So here's my suspects:

Rabbits: we have plenty but there's no way they got up on my porch railing and ate those ones. Plus, everything really looks like it's cut off.. I've had pet rabbits and they usually would leave a mess or some teeth marks.

Possum: do they even eat flowers? He probably could get up on the railing...

Skunk: what do they eat?

Birds: don't think so, most damage appears to occur overnight

Bigfoot: don't think he could get past dog

Neighbors: highly doubt it. dog would notice and the house sits 400 feet off the road. plus, motive?

Any other suggestions? I'm in TX so I suppose it could be something off the wall like a Chupacabra We do actually have an Ocelot living on our property.

I am either going to get a game camera and set it up or I have a live trap... I could get some nice flowers and bait it....

< And no, I don't believe in bigfoot but some of my neighbors do so I had to put him on my suspect list >

Sorry - we live up here in BC and don't have anything as intersting as you guys. But there was the time my Dad answered the door in England and a child was standing there selling flowers - so my Dad bought them for my Mum. Whe she got home she saw that the flowers in her front garden were gone....that's my Dad, saw the best in everyone. She was a Gypsy child.

Weird!!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Weird!!
    Whidbey Island, really?? I spent many a summers there as a kid.... Beautiful place!!

I'm voting for the bunnies in this caper. Tricky little guys that can paint eggs can do anything.

Yep, it is! Live and work on the north end, but keep the pony more towards Coupeville. Where did you visit?

(Sorry for the derailment)
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Do you have any deer?
    They raid any flower pot we ever put where they can get to it.
    Not right away, they wait until it is just right for a snack and then in one night, poof, they are all bare.

Do you have porcupines? They are not called nature's pruners without reason.
    They can clip a tree half bare in a couple of nights.

Or maybe you do have a mutant rabbit, that grew so large it is reaching your high plants?

oh.my.goodness. I was contemplating posting the same thing!!!! We planted 4 small weeping willows (like 2 foot tall skinny branches) and a bunch of teeny norway spruces in the spring. The next morning all 4 weeping willows were dug up and flopped over on the ground and one of the spruces. I wrote it off as a wandering dog having fun in the loose dirt.

Now, last week I started planting some flowers. This is our first spring here so I've never planted any flowers here. I plant 4 coneflowers, a butterfly bush, and 2 ornamental grasses... the nest morning all 4 coneflowers were dug up and laying on the ground, some with mildly chewed leaves, but mostly untouched. The grasses were also dug up and there was a hole next to the butterfly bush. We replanted them and wouldn't you know... next day 5 of them were dug up again. I replanted them one more time and put rocks around the base and they've been fine since. I have never once seen a bunny here, but have seen a raccoon hanging around along with a few stray cats. My best guess is that it's the raccoon or possibly the cats digging in the loose dirt (litter box??? ). Who knows... If you figure it out, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Do you have any deer?

Do you have porcupines? They are not called nature's pruners without reason.
    They can clip a tree half bare in a couple of nights.

Or maybe you do have a mutant rabbit, that grew so large it is reaching your high plants?
    No deer in our area.... And I do think they would wake the dog.

Porcupines, I doubt it because if we did, my dog for SURE would have gotten in a fight with him by now

Mutant rabbit.... there's an idea

Slugs.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

(Dons Deerstalker cap and lights Calabash pipe) Sprinkle some flour (or sand) on the porch and check for foot/hoof prints in the AM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Cutworms?

Sounds like Deer are eating your plants. You could build an 8 ft high perimeter fence to keep them out of your yard if you want your plants to be not eaten by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    (Dons Deerstalker cap and lights Calabash pipe) Sprinkle some flour (or sand) on the porch and check for foot/hoof prints in the AM.
    That is brilliant!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyclubrocks View Post
    Cutworms?
    That was my thought too, but they probably aren't eating the flowers - no doubt they could have been the crittes that "cut" the stems though.

Deer and rabbit are the first choices, but groundhogs can do nasty things to pretty plants too. We had one that decided living under the back deck was a cool idea I didn't know it until I came home one day and did my daily inspection of things, and found ALL my lettuce, kale, and spinach was eaten to nubs, AND all the flowering heads (still unopened) of all my daisy and daisy-type flowers were GONE. The next day I see something moving on the deck and go innocently to look, and it's a flippin' groundhog!

So, we let the dogs out there, and while they couldn't get under the deck to get him (not our intent anyway), they did a good job of convincing him, over a few days, that was not at all a good place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    Sounds like Deer are eating your plants. You could build an 8 ft high perimeter fence to keep them out of your yard if you want your plants to be not eaten by them.
    Or, you can plant things like foxglove around some perimeters - poisonous to deer, and they generally don't venture farther to see what might be yummy.

I blame everything on my chipmunks.

They go more for bulbs, so probably not in your case, but almost everything is their fault at our house!

ETA - I think deer dislike marigolds as well. You can discourage them a bit by interspersing deer repellent plants with your desireable plants. I would guess deer as well, I don't think rabbits could eat your climbing flowers so neatly

You can often get an idea of what type of animal by looking at the stem.

A browser will often leave a jagged or shredded looking stem, maybe frayed looking.

A grazer will clip it neatly.

Examine the stem closely.

If it's clipped neatly and at a certain height it might be a groundhog.

Maybe you have my feng shui plant rearranging neighbor landlord stalking you. She's a landlord that owns half the city where we live and apparently is very hands on, i.e., has been known to send memos telling her tenants to polish their doorknobs. Mind you, she doesn't own MY house.

The Krazy has been through my yard about 3 times now rearranging my potted plants to suit her "feng shui." Last time she murdered a small stick of a plant I was trying to save and made a mess.

This past time, she didn't realize my housemate was home during the day and walked out and caught her red-handed moving plants around. She asked her to leave. Apparently the Krazy started sputtering about how our yard, doesn't, uh, accomodate her particular vision of feng shui.

Perhaps she's your visitor. Apparently she is quite stealthy.

Is someone's stall door a little loose maybe?

That's too funny, I hope you find out whom ever is doing it soon! Motion-activated sprinklers work quite well at detering most animals.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I planted a rose of sharon on top of my beloved dog. The deer made a beeline for it. So I put his old collar around it. It has the dog smell so the deer don't come near it.
    Also try used kitty litter.