The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP Pegasus, 196?-2009

Pegasus was the pony I first learned to vault on, about 3 1/2 years ago. He was retired a few months later, but I really appreciated the confidence he gave me! He was well-cared for in a private pasture, with shelter, horsey companions, and room to roam. He was so sweet and patient with everyone - in addition to vaulting, he was also used for lessons and theraputic riding. One time, someone picked up one of his hind hooves and started picking it out while someone else was already cleaning one of his fronts! He managed to balance on the remaining diagonal legs until someone alerted them to what they were doing.

An awful lot of people are going to miss you!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3592/...91722c9faf.jpg (My third time vaulting, first time standing - he was so steady and calm that I felt very relaxed and safe!)
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

I'm sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Wow! From the dates in your post he had to be at least 40 years old! he sounds like he was a wonderful boy. So sorry for your loss.

My condolences on the loss of Pegasus. He must have been amazing!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

While it is always sad when one dies, it is wonderful that he had good homes for so long and was well cared for until his death. I wish everyone would provide for retirement for the ponies and horses who serve humans so well.
    Wonderful that his owner kept him and took care of him.

So sorry for your loss. My mare crossed the bridge late Tuesday night...sounds like she had good company on her journey.

RIP noble Pegasus.

Good pony, rest in peace.

Thank you Tiki, Buffyblue, LuvMyTB, Lil'bit, and Jpeg! Yes, he was a wonderful little guy, who touched so many hearts and lives!

Cloudyandcallie, I agree, it's great seeing horses get a wonderful retirement (the family who retired him sent updates with photos every 3-6 months, which were passed on to everyone on the team). We hear so many discouraging stories about older horses who are abused or neglected. He was owned by a public trailriding/lesson/vaulting stable, and they took fantastic care of him while he was still working, and found a wonderful retirement home for him, with people who hadn't previously owned him, but knew and loved him. I think staying in light, appropriate work helped keep him sound and healthy for all of those years! So many people seem to think that it's abusive to rehome an older horse, but some people are good and really do want a companion, and take great care of them!

Chief, yes, he was over 40 when he passed on, and is buried next to his retirement family's old vaulting horse, who also lived to be over 40.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.