The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Picked up two strays yesterday:Update - claimed!!!

So, I caught a couple of strays yesterday. One was a sweet yellow lab mix, and the other was a beagle or hound of some sort. We kept them for the day, put up a sign on the telephone pole out front in case anyone drove by (all I had time for since they made me 1.5 hours late for work!), put something on Craig's list, and called a couple of shelters to see if anyone was looking for them. I drove through the closest neighborhoods, looking for lost dog signs or anyone who recognized them. We had no luck by the evening, and my husband called animal control to report them. Animal Control said they needed to pick them up, but would call if no one claimed them.

Assuming that they aren't claimed, the problem is, 1)I don't want three dogs! 2)I really don't want a beagle! The lab mix seemed to be attached to the beagle, I got it to approach me several times, but it was always checking to see where the beagle had gone. I liked the lab a lot, and if it was just him, I would keep him in a second.

We have invisible fences, which contain my hound mix very well. I don't think the invisible fence would contain this beagle. First of all, he was wearing what appeared to be an invisible fence collar, for all the good that was doing him. We have lots of deer, bunnies, squirrels, etc. running through our yard. This little guy was so intent on the scent he was tracking, I was beaning him on the head with pepperoni trying to get his attention and lure him out of the brush, and he totally ignored me (and the pepperoni!!). My dog is not one to stick around if he leaves the yard, and I don't want a dog teaching him that he can get out of the invisible fence and leading him on a merry chase around town!! I think this is what happened to the lab. We also have a cat to worry about.

If they can't drum up the owners, would it be horrible of me to just take the lab mix? I do not want a beagle, and if it was both or none, I'd take none. I feel bad, because they are clearly buddies. I have a feeling that they would be split up anyways if they get sent to the shelter, but at least that wouldn't be my direct fault. Here's hoping that even though their owner let them run around wearing only a bandana (the lab) and the invisible fence collar (the beagle), they may have taken the time to microchip them, or are spending some time tracking them down today.
    Last edited by pony89; Jun. 16, 2009 at 05:24 PM.

If he was wearing an invisible fence collar I'm sure someone is looking for him those things aren't super cheap.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting the beagle. I'm sure someone here has a very nice one but I've never met one I'd take home with me. I can't stand that howling! I'm sure he'll find a home with someone who has an appropriate property to keep him on (as in 8' tall and 3' dug in fences!).

It's not a problem to separate them unless they are 10 and 12 or something. Most shelters seem to do that as people rarely want 2 dogs in one trip.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I originally posted then realized that AC already had the dogs. If the owners aren't found, take the one you want. If the beagle is still there by that time, inform a beagle rescue about his plight and perhaps make a donation so they can bail him out and find him a home.

ETA: I would also suggest covering Craigslist to about a 50 mile radius from where you found the dogs. We did this with a GSD we found, and the owner responded the next day. Don't let state lines stop you. These dogs can travel!

YOu're right, those fence collars are about $80 a piece. Somebody invested the time and the money in the system, they probably want him back.
    The batteries may be dead in the collar, the fence may have broken, you never know.
    Maybe their power went out and he escaped. All of the above have happened to me with my dogs, but I made my own collars. I ordered reflective collars with the dogs names and my cell number on them, then punched holes in them and put the receivers on them.
    Plus mine are microchipped.
    I would take him to the vet and get him scanned, he might have a chip.

Those two may not even belong to the same people.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

If its invisible fence brand, we are talking 250.
    Yes, I think you are horrible for not taking both. But, that is my viewpoint.

You do what you need to do, but you wanted opinions.

I also agree, I would put on craig's list for many, many cities around. They can travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    If he was wearing an invisible fence collar I'm sure someone is looking for him those things aren't super cheap.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting the beagle. I'm sure someone here has a very nice one but I've never met one I'd take home with me. I can't stand that howling! I'm sure he'll find a home with someone who has an appropriate property to keep him on (as in 8' tall and 3' dug in fences!).

It's not a problem to separate them unless they are 10 and 12 or something. Most shelters seem to do that as people rarely want 2 dogs in one trip.

It definately wasn't one of the expensive invisible fence collars (I have those and know what they look like, and would have to buy an extra one if we had three dogs!) It was either a cheapie pet smart invisible fence collar, a bark collar (not sure about that, considering the racket) or a remote training collar. I couldn't tell. If it was an invisible fence collar, it is strange that only one dog was wearing it. Maybe the lab was a neighbor dog that came along for the ride? Or maybe he wasn't prone to wander, so they only invested in one.

They are at the vet's now (our vet is the shelter for our town). I was going to keep them at the house, but the animal control guy wanted to bring them in. They will probably be easier for the owner to find at the shelter, plus I am continuing my efforts to look for the owner. We had a big storm Sunday night, and I was worried that something fell on their fence and they escaped. I'll snag them if no one claims them, but I really, really don't want a beagle! (am I protesting too much??) These poor guys were definately not outside dogs.

Chief2, I can only imagine the concert in the backyard if I add this beagle to my coontick hound mix! Surely, the neighbors will go crazy if I don't lose it first!

Hopefully, they'll find the owners.

I had friends who adopted a beagle and we could NOT train the thing to the invisible fence. Could not. The thing would run through yelping and then merrily on his way after whatever critter that had caught his attention.

I LIKED the dog, but I won't have a beagle. Nope.

Give me a big dopey goofy people pleasing lab thank you! LOL

So anyway, hopefully it won't come down to that, but if it does, at least there's one dog that will be rehomed.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Eh, I personally couldn't take just one, but that's just me. I would at least keep both and see if they are indeed as attached as they seem. Possibly rehome one in a GOOD home and not just via some random Craigslist sale/listing/etc. I couldn't have turned them over to animal control to begin with and I definitely couldn't go back and get one and picture the other one sitting in a cage awaiting "the final walk" if not adopted. I am completely anti-invisible fence for the record. I don't think people realize how absolutely dangerous and foolish they are for thinking their animals are safe in them. This poor little beagle is evidence of that.

It's especially an issue when you get your idiot beagle running after something & ignoring being zapped by the fence (eventually they stop zapping) and then they try to run home again & get zapped. Plus on the way home their isn't a juicy squirrel, just a zap the closer you get

With beagles there really isn't much you can do to contain them except a HARNESS + line (not just on the collar) or a really secure fence
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Need You Now Equine

You are not horrible to consider taking just one of the two dogs. You cant save them all. I have a really large fenced yard which is very visible from our road. When people drive by they see 8 happy dogs running and playing in the pond. A lot of them must think it is the best place to put their no longer wanted pets. I run an average of 25 dogs a year being put out at my front gate. I will sometime keep one if it turns out they get along with all my other critters and then they go to the vet for spay/neuter and shots and heartworm testing. That's how I got 5 of them. But I simply cannot take any more. Do I feel bad when I take them to the animal shelter? Yes. Can I save them all? No. The lab mix will be lucky to have a home with you. Don't feel bad about not taking the beagle.

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    Eh, I personally couldn't take just one, but that's just me. I would at least keep both and see if they are indeed as attached as they seem. Possibly rehome one in a GOOD home and not just via some random Craigslist sale/listing/etc. I couldn't have turned them over to animal control to begin with and I definitely couldn't go back and get one and picture the other one sitting in a cage awaiting "the final walk" if not adopted. I am completely anti-invisible fence for the record. I don't think people realize how absolutely dangerous and foolish they are for thinking their animals are safe in them. This poor little beagle is evidence of that.
    I wasn't planning to turn them over. I called most of the big shelters in the area to see if anyone was looking, and the biggest told me that legally, I was required to notify AC. I wasn't home when they came, my husband told them we would hang onto them, but they told my husband they were required to take them; they were gone before I got home. I don't know how true any of those "requirements" are, but the fact of the matter is that it will be easier for an owner to track them down if they are at the shelter, and I can get them if they aren't claimed at the end of the waiting period. We are doing the ad in the paper thing, craigslist, driving around, etc. Frankly, I am kind of regretting capturing them at all, wondering if they would have found their way home and now they're stuck in a shelter.

I have exactly the same reservations about taking only one. I think it is heartbreaking to split up buddies. I also know that they will almost certainly be split up anyways if they get put up for adoption. I feel like there is no good answer, because getting two new dogs is really more than I can take on as far as responsibility. I sincerely hope that these little guys find their way home. They were clearly cared for (read: obese). I do like the idea of seeing how close they really are. It's possible that they aren't even from the same household, and just linked up in their wanderings.

If it was one of you're neighbours I'm sure you would have heard back from them already, I doubt they would have found their way home - you did the right thing.
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    If it was one of you're neighbours I'm sure you would have heard back from them already, I doubt they would have found their way home - you did the right thing.
    And, occasionally finding their way home involves crossing roads that put them at risk... so it IS the right thing. Kudos to you for caring enough to try and take even one of them in later!
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Well, I'd take the beagle over the lab-beagles are great (and would NEVER have invisible fencing--anything can provoke any dog to run right through it and then they remember their training and won't come back the other way. The only fence I trust is one I can see.) And yeah, I would feel like a complete schmuck if they went unclaimed at the shelter and I took only one and left the other to die.

Hey, you wanted opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    would NEVER have invisible fencing--anything can provoke any dog to run right through it and then they remember their training and won't come back the other way. The only fence I trust is one I can see.
    I've known two people who had dead dogs thanks to invisible fencing. Both were other animals getting IN. People just don't seem to realize that invisible fencing only (in theory) keeps your dog in, but does nothing to keep stuff out. One was in the country and the dog was attacked by coyotes. The other was in suburbia in broad daylight attacked and killed by another dog.

Yes, I think you are horrible for not taking both. But, that is my viewpoint.
    Thats unbelievably judgmental.

It's not like the OP *asked* for both dogs to show up on her property. They showed up. She's already done more than most would by trying to find the owners.

If she even cares for one, she's done a good deed.

I'm happy to report that this turned out to be a philosophical discussion after all! "Spike" and "Killer", as the AC officer laughingly nicknamed them, have been reunited with their family Phew!

Yay!

Glad Spike and Killer made it home!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Well, I'd take the beagle over the lab-beagles are great (and would NEVER have invisible fencing--anything can provoke any dog to run right through it and then they remember their training and won't come back the other way. The only fence I trust is one I can see.) And yeah, I would feel like a complete schmuck if they went unclaimed at the shelter and I took only one and left the other to die.

Hey, you wanted opinions.

I have my invisible fence secured around the perimeter of my property to 2x4 no climb. The perimeter fence is to keep other stuff out and my stuff in and the invisible fence is because I have one dog that was jumping out and also to keep mine in when someone opens the gate to go in or out.
    Invisible fence is a good tool when used properly. Without additional perimeter fence, one should never leave outside unattended with just an invisible fence.

I, too, am very glad to hear that the doggies found their family.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin