The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle recommendations? Wide horse and leggy rider

My 5 yr old is about to outgrow my old wide-tree County Pro-fit saddle. And I really would like to have something more comfy for trail riding and foxhunting. We will be doing low-level eventing - BN/N, and hunter/jumper stuff too.

Horse is WB/TB cross, quite wide (dressage saddle is a 36 cm Duett Largo) and flat-backed, with moderate withers. I am almost 6' tall, long from hip to knee, and not skinny.

I demo'd a County Conquest on another horse a couple of years ago and really liked it. I would like to investigate other alternatives. I am not a saddle snob at all and would be perfectly happy with a Wintec but I don't think they are wide enough for horse or forward enough for me.
    I probably need a 18" seat. Black Country sounds interesting but I don't think there are reps near SW Ohio.

Suggestions?

I highly recommend the Black Country Quantum X. This has the hoop tree which is more U-shaped than V-shaped for those ├╝ber wide ones. I am not as tall as you, but my legs are pretty long and I have a 17.5 BC and its all good, even at XC length. I got mine from Trumbull Mountain and they are wonderful. They will ship saddles anywhere and you can send measurements, pics, etc so they can recommend what would work best for your horse. Good luck!
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Default Yup

Black Country and Trumbull Mountain, though BC has other retailers.

BC's relatively forward flaps may take up your leg nicely, but they will do even more forward if you want. You might want to ask about both the Quantum and Wexford trees. The Wexford is deeper and may have a balance point a bit further back. That will please some eventers and bum out others.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Try contacting Trumbull Mountain in Vermont. They are great to work with and carry a variety of saddles, have a fitter onsite, etc. They can take a look at your wither tracings, take into account your build, and send saddles most likely to work out for you to try (they carry Black Country, Duett, Wintec, etc). Great folks to work with and their shipping fees are some of the more reasonable I have noticed for trials. Best of luck in your search.

Default You Have a PM

Hi, I have sent you a PM

Timely thread as we are facing the same problem with our new horse (too wide for our prestige). My daughter sat in the Black Country Wexford and it was the only saddle that accomodated her long legs. She also said it felt real comfy.