The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tuff Rider full seat breeches falling apart???

I have a new never worn pair of full seat ribbed Tuff Rider breeches, when I washed them according to the instructions on the tag the clarino full seat fell apart. Just shredded into pieces in places. I bought them from Dover a few years ago but have never had this issue before. I'm hesitant to purchase this brand again.

Has anyone else had this problem with Tuff Riders? Recommend a reasonably priced white full seat that is comfortable to wear for summer shows?
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I have liked this brand in the past, and that stinks about tuff riders since I just bought two pairs!!!! I hope they don't fall apart.
    http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=BRCH

No, I wear mine continuously and love them. I would call the company.

I had a pair for schooling and the fabric on the knee and inside calf and crotch pilled, thinned and wore out within a year. cheap is cheap sadly.

If you want an economical pair of whites try Pikeur at Amir-equi.com....super prices BUT takes 2-3 months to get them in....good for planning for next year or the regionals....I got a model not available in the US for $120 this year

Also, Sonja B from aanstadt das (?sp) sells her customs on EBAY-they are tights but well made with full deer skin with a cute star placed where you tell her or let her choose....all for around $120-$140 depending on style, etc. She will also replace the deerskin on another pair for only $50 later on.

I bought my first pair of Tuff Riders in 2003. Guess what : they are still going strong. I have just bout lived in them because they are the one brand that really fits me.

I would definitely contact the company. I'm sure they would be pleased to hear from you and address you concerns about their product. If Tuff Rider received a bad batch of Clarino form the supplier I'm sure they want to look into it and correct the problem. After all it is Tuff Riders reputation on the line.

I won't say mine are the best made ever, I had to re-sew a few bits, but not that bad! They've been washed several times with no shredding

I had the same thing happen to my On Course cotton naturals- the clarino literally shredded like tissue paper after a few washings.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Default Update

I contacted JPC, the manufacturer, they said to return them to the company I purchased them from. Called Dover- their computer system is down so someone will call me back. I may be able to return or exchange them- I hope so because I have a show on the 27th!

I am glad I read this thread because I was thinking of buying Tuff Riders.
    I guess I will stick with Dover's brand, even if they cost a bit more and charge high shipping. I have had luck with those for the past couple of years.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I love my tuff riders, and they've come through the wash looking great. They look really sharp for the price point. Did you wash them inside out, as instructed? Did you overdo it with the bleach? Too much bleach will eat up clarino patches and anything else. If none of thats the problem, I would contact Tuff Rider and see what they can do for you.

Edited to add: I see now that you washed them according to instructions. Sorry to doubt your laundering!
    Last edited by SisterToSoreFoot; Jun. 16, 2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Duh!
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

I've owned several pairs over the years ... kept buying them because they were a nice fit at a decent price and lasted well ... except for the last three pairs. They were purchased at the same time last year and the full seat thinned and got holey within a few months. All three are now in the trash.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Default Well, I may be outta luck

Big surprise- never heard back from Dover today. I sent an email directly to JPC to see if they can exchange them for me directly. I have another pair of Tuff Riders that I wash and wear often, so it was a shock when this pair died before I even got to wear them lol! I have a backup pair of knee patch white breeches that I can wear at the show, but it would be nice to have full seats!

Hopefully I'll hear back from JPC and all will work out, but I most likely won't order from Dover again unless I am desperate.

I haven't managed to kill my tuff rider winter breeches yet and they're 6 years old! There's just some pilling in certain areas. I would love to kill them because then I have an excuse to buy more breeches, but they'll probably live longer than me at this point! My other tuff riders are those corduroy ones and I don't really wear them all that much so they're in excellent condition.

It sucks that you're having trouble with customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    Called Dover- their computer system is down so someone will call me back. I may be able to return or exchange them- I hope so because I have a show on the 27th!
    Good luck with THAT. I have an order into Dover (4 pairs of Tuff Riders) that I made on the 10th. Every few days I'm getting a FedEx shipping update and the expect arrival gets delayed a few days. 14 days for standard shipping is pretty ridiculous these days...I would call Tuff Riders back and tell them Dover's customer service is unavailable to help you.

For what it's worth I have some of their cheap knee patch breeches that are still in my regular rotation (worn once, sometimes twice a week) that are probably going on eight years old!

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    For what it's worth I have some of their cheap knee patch breeches that are still in my regular rotation (worn once, sometimes twice a week) that are probably going on eight years old!
    Those are the ones I have had good luck with, an older pair of aero-cool tuff rider knee patches. I wear them under my chaps when I show western because they are so thin and cool.

If I can't get anything from the manufacturer, I won't push it with Dover because it will get me nowhere. I have had small issues with them in the past and after reading all of the horror stories here and I am not in a hurry to order from them again. Had it of been SmartPak a replacement pair would already be in the mail!

Smile DOVER CAME THROUGH!

Got a call this morning from a rep, she confirmed that their computers were down all day and into the night. She said that even though they were ordered over a year ago they would be glad to take them back and will be sending me a replacement pair. Fingers crossed they get here before the show!

So would it be bad to send them back in a Smart Pak box?

Glad to hear Dover came through for you