The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Fly Mask for the houdini horse?

Anyone have a suggestion on what kind of fly mask is good for a horse who is quite talented at removing them?

I've heard that ones without ears are often harder for a horse to remove, anyone know if that's true?

I know for sure the Crusader masks, which I love, aren't an option. She can slip out of those suckers in a heartbeat.

I also need something with plenty of eye clearance, as I'm kinda nuts about keeping her eyes safe.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Default Don't think the fly masks with ears will help much. . .

Ihave both kinds, and my houdini horse gets either off in equal time. I have just resigned myself to owning twice as many masks as I have horses, and retrieving the fallen ones whenever I am out riding or walking through the pasture. . . hping I can collect them all before we mow. The first two years I used Spalding Fly Predators I had so few flies I didn't have to use fly masks at all anymore, but this year the flies are back. . . neighbor used their barn for the first time in many years over the winter, and never mucked it at all (even yet) so lately I've been spreading MY Fly Predators in THEIR barn, hoping to get the situation back under control. . . sigh!
    "To ride a horse is to borrow freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion on what kind of fly mask is good for a horse who is quite talented at removing them?

I've heard that ones without ears are often harder for a horse to remove, anyone know if that's true?

I know for sure the Crusader masks, which I love, aren't an option. She can slip out of those suckers in a heartbeat.

I also need something with plenty of eye clearance, as I'm kinda nuts about keeping her eyes safe.
    Hmmm, maybe a Wrangler brand fly mask?

Tried one earlier this year - the part that goes under the jaw and velcros has elastic in it, so you would be able to keep it a little more snug without being uncomfortable for her. This might help keep it on her. They also have the double velcro flap, like the farnam supermasks. Seemed to have good eye clearence, but I'm sure it just depends on the individual horse. The rest of the shape of the Wrangler is similar to the Cashel, has ear slots (no forelock hole though) and edges/seams lined with a soft material.

Sneaky little mares

My horses also won't keep the Crusader with or without ears on. For 2 of them, I let them be. My baby has some pink around his eyes though, so he NEEDS a mask on pretty much whenever it's sunny. The Farnam SuperMask without ears works for us. His buddy did manage to rip almost all the fleece off, but that sucker has stayed snugly in place for the last 3 weeks. I just bought another with the hope the fleece doesn't get ripped off quite so soon this time :-)

My horse kept the earless SuperMask on pretty well. He did, however, rip all the fleece off the bottom last week. (: I ordered a Kensington with ears, and he gets it off all the time--though that's partly my fault because I ordered a size too big, so it's a little loose. In general, though, the discarded masks I wade through in the pasture all seem to have ears on them!

I have to keep a halter on my guys or the masks are history. My one won't put up with fly leggings or fly sheet...the other does great with his sheet and the leggings have allowed him to keep his shoes all summer vs. stomping them off.

Sadly, I found a BIG fly sheet for a friend's Percheron and the trash 2 y.o. gelding in her field ripped it to shreds in a day...and yes, it's a trash horse, poorly bred and "daddy" bought it for the daughter and it's never touched/groomed/trained etc.

As much as I would like to keep one on my guy, he doesn't agree with me. After tieing them on to a halter, taping the velcro and using every brand available, I've given up.

Would much rather have a horse with two eyes than one that has poked his eye out while trying to rub off the fly mask.

Swat around the eyes, or other roll on equine fly repellent.

Mine don't mind wearing them, but they object to their turnout buddy having one ... one year I "accidently" bought a bunch of fly masks off EBAY and they were "arab sized". I have all large TBs and the Masks were snug, but they came down just below the eyes ... and believe it or not, they lasted for a full season... it was very odd and I have yet to decide if the reason it works was dumb luck or had to do with where the mask fell on the face.

Unfortunately leaving a halter on her over a mask really isn't an option, as she lives outside 24/7. I don't want to leave a halter on her at all times.

Okay, here's what I've got:
    the supermasks stay on but the the seams in the ears face inward so they rub the hair off the ears
    kensington - they rub around the nose. If they had fuzz around the nose, they would be perfect
    crusader - love them EXCEPT I wish they had double velcro. They get these off the easiest.
    sstack's fly mask - really like these the best so far. Don't come in draft though. Again wish they came with double velcro.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Okay, here's what I've got:
    the supermasks stay on but the the seams in the ears face inward so they rub the hair off the ears
    kensington - they rub around the nose. If they had fuzz around the nose, they would be perfect
    crusader - love them EXCEPT I wish they had double velcro. They get these off the easiest.
    sstack's fly mask - really like these the best so far. Don't come in draft though. Again wish they came with double velcro.
    I'll have to look into those, thanks!

I'm currently using the SS tack fly masks w/ears. Love the way they fit and the two velcro straps w/elastic. But, I still pick it up out of the dirt on a regular basis. One of my guys only wears it as long as he wants to - and then off it comes.

Same with his supermask w/out ears.