The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

atlponyclubmom Guest

Default need barn in SE Louisville Ky

We are moving to Louisville in 6 weeks and need a barn ASAP! My 16 yr old daughter is a novice level Eventer and a C-2 ponyclubber. We need a barn that has eventing training near SE Louisville (anywhere from Brownsboro rd to Shelbyville rd, or a little further). I have found a lot of H/J barns. Any info will be appreciated. We have a 14yr old Appendix mare, well-behaved, no vices. Thanks!!!!!

Send a PM to Buschkn. She lives near Bardstown and can probably point you in the right direction.

Susan Harris at Spring Run is a great place. She is both a USDF & USEA instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by cindylouwho View Post
    Susan Harris at Spring Run is a great place. She is both a USDF & USEA instructor.
    Yep.... this is the place to go for your daughter's needs.

http://www.springrun.org/

Not sure if they have any openings or not.

Default another vote for spring run

Susan is great. She gives great instruction and the horses get wonderful care.

Susan is great, but you also have Martha Lambert at Landsend Farm & Mary Lowry at Alta Vista Farm.

Loads of choices out our way (Goshen) - Martha, Susan, Mary. Also look at http://www.emilyragan.com/index.html. They are all top drawer!

atlponyclubmom Guest

Default What about the new Louisville Equestrian Center?

Thank you all... we will look into these. I think Alta Vista may be too far for us as will the ones on Covered Bridge. We also love Susan, and have taken clinics with her in Atlanta. But my daughter will be a new driver and we will be living 6 miles east of the Gene Snyder off of Shelbyville Rd. Would the new Louisville Equestrian Center(ie. Betsy Webb's place) not be the place for an eventer?

Betsy Webb trains saddlebreds.

She does do Saddlebreds/Saddleseat exclusively (at least in the past), but I have heard from someone with a QH that she was recruiting western riders to train/board...? Maybe she plans to have other trainers in other disciplines at the facility? Anyone know for sure?

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I'd interject my .10 here--you have 3 dynamite trainers pretty close--if your daughter wants to event any one of them is worth a drive. It works much better to be in a single discipline barn if that is what you want to pursue.

I'll put my 2 cents in too...

About all of the barns in the Louisville area that are worth going to are in the far east end (Prospect, Goshen, Skylight, etc etc). So regardless, you'll have a little bit of a drive. But to me? It's not that bad. Louisville is a pretty easy city to get around.

I live in the true South East end of Louisville (Fern Creek to those familar w/ the area) and it takes me 30 minutes to get to the barn from home (barn is in Prospect).

Being just outside of the GS near Shelbyville is an advantage for you. These locations (Prospect/Goshen, etc) aren't really that far (maybe 20 minutes) for you. That's a typical drive for most people.

And yes, Betsy Webb does Saddlebreds/Saddleseat. And I've heard her new facility she is building is going to be fabulous! Need to drive by...

The barn I am at does Eventing also but probably not as intensely as Susan, Mary or Martha does. I just moved there about a month ago so don't have a real feel for the trainers just yet. I mostly do Hunters but dabble in Eventing but since I do low-level, my needs are different. I did do a clinic w/ Mary Lowry last year. She's fantastic.

I have done a TON of research on barns in the Louisville area. So I've seen just about all of them. Though I can't give as much detail on the Eventing side.

Another vote for Susan. If your daughter intends to continue in PC you won't find a better place. I believe both the local PC's Covered Bridge and Long Run have kids who board with Susan. A lot of the upper level kids in the Midsouth area go to Susan to prep for their ratings. My son spent a few weeks with her as a working student to prepare for his B. She is VERY good. ICP rated, and an upper level dressage rider. Mary Lowry is also very good and a fun person. She has a great kids program at Alta Vista, and has access to the wonderful Flying Cross farm. I don't know where you are moving from, but here in OH we drive and hour and a half for weekly lessons. The Louisville area is blessed with good instructors. Good Luck

Forgot to add... Susan usually takes a bunch of kids every summer, to ride in Vermont with the infamous Denny. They have a blast.

Just an FYI- you are actually living in NE Louisville. I live in the same area you will be, east of the Snyder off Shelbyville Rd. Spring Run would not be that far for you at all. It is also a very easy drive and there are several different ways to get there from where you will be. Your daughter could take all back roads or Snyder to 42 and out that way. The other are correct in that Louisville Equestrian Center is a saddlebred facility. Betsey lives right by me and she is going to add Western stuff but at this time has no plans for any jumping disciplines. As I said I live in the same general area you will be so if you need anything feel free to contact me. I will help however I can!

Spring Run is a great place and very family oriented. I am 23 and have ridden there since the 5th grade, and i highly reccommend it. The number to the barn is (502)228-3456, so if you left Susan a message i'm sure she would get back to you. Good luck with your move!

Any of the barns listed would be great. There are also a couple to avoid, so please PM me if you would like those names.