The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weed control

what is the best way to control weeds in turnouts. We have had a tremendous amount of rain this year and my normal dry lot turnouts are full of weeds.
    I don't really want to spray as the horses are turned out in them.
    Dragging? or mowing?
    It is quite unsightly. and I know that once they dry out in a few weeks they will become a fire hazard.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Dragging and mowing just spread the seeds around even more. In the long run, you will end up with more weeds.

Can you take the horses off one dry lot, spray the weeds, wait the 2 days or whatever is suggested on the bottle, and then return the horses to that lot? Then move on to the next dry lot...

They also sell some weed killers that are safe to use and then immediately turn the animals back out. Or you can always use salt if you can find it in HUGE bags.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Always mow at the first sign of any flower or seedhead forming. If any weed is allowed to go to seed, killing the plant any kind of way won't matter. Even if you are going to spray the plants they cannot be allowed to flower and produce seeds. Weed seeds in the ground will last for years and wait for just the right conditions to sprout.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Dragging and mowing just spread the seeds around even more. In the long run, you will end up with more weeds.

They also sell some weed killers that are safe to use and then immediately turn the animals back out. Or you can always use salt if you can find it in HUGE bags.
    I believe Pasture Pro (2,4-D) at TSC is OK for immediate use. Round-up degrades quite quickly as well. If they've already set seeds, you may want to look at the extended control which inhibits new seeds from sprouting
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

yep we waited until they were all flowery and seedy.
    I am so worried about using weed killer, but I will look into what everyone suggested.
    There is some grass in these "dry lots". Will weed killer kill that as well?
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

2,4-D and ??Forefront?? (pretty sure that's the name) are approved for immediate grazing except in milk cows. I'm excited about the big bottle of ForeFront we just got for our brand new sprayer because it's supposed to kill cockleburs and I'm hoping that also translates into killing sand-burrs although the latter are more "grassy" than "weedy" so I'm not holding my breath. Both are a menace around here.

Neither one of these products will kill grass. They will damage clover pretty badly but IME the clover bounces back within weeks/months. I'm fine with clover, but would also not object to there being less of that and more grass.

I'm definitely not wild about using chemicals willy-nilly, but in the grand scheme of environmental things spraying once or at most twice a year with these herbicides seems to weigh pretty well against weekly mowing with the diesel-belching tractor trying to keep the weeds from winning the war. If not for the weeds I'd not have to mow nearly as often. I'll probably pull the horses off the fields for a day or two anyway, but these products are advertised as graze-on.
    Last edited by deltawave; Jun. 15, 2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: typos
    Click here before you buy.

Default Forefront is awesome

I didn't want to use chemicals either and didn't the first year we planted a pasture. With the drought last year, we probably had 50% weeds in our big pasture.

I talked to the county ext agent and she suggested Forefront. We used it last fall and again this spring per her instructions. Our pastures are almost weed free. I love the stuff!! Well worth the money.

The label says you can use and still turn horses out, but I waited at least 3 days and also for a heavy rain before I turned them out.