The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Roan View Post
    Oh. My.

Her entire personality, from your ride to her diva-ness to her food weakness, sounds just like my Lipizzaner, Fionna. Her Majesty, Queen Fionna, that is

Awesome job, quietann. I hope I can do as well as you did when the time comes for me to brave a clinic like that.

She is a beautiful girl, to.

Lovely braid job! I can *never* get a weave to look as nice as yours. Any tips?

Eileen
    Thanks

As for the weave, I was a kid in the 1970s, so I did a lot of macrame But here's what I do -- dampen the mane just slightly. When you put in the first row of bands, work from poll to withers and pull each "ponytail" back towards the withers as you go. Set them about 1 1/2 inches apart and don't worry if some are thicker than others. For the second row, work from withers to poll and maintain the slight cant back to the withers. The ponytail at each ends remains full and you add 1/2 the one next to it... Each row will have 2 fewer rubber bands. For the third row, poll to withers and same thing. You can go another row or two, and I've even seen people keep doing the rows until they are down to one ponytail! I've tried using QuickBraid on the mane, but it makes it difficult to get the rubber bands around the "ponytails." A little bit sprayed on the mane when you're done helps keep down the fuzzies, though. Feronia actually pulled out a big chunk of mane right in front of her withers, and the hair is only about 3 inches long, so the weave stops where it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Thanks

As for the weave, I was a kid in the 1970s, so I did a lot of macrame But here's what I do -- dampen the mane just slightly. When you put in the first row of bands, work from poll to withers and pull each "ponytail" back towards the withers as you go. Set them about 1 1/2 inches apart and don't worry if some are thicker than others. For the second row, work from withers to poll and maintain the slight cant back to the withers. The ponytail at each ends remains full and you add 1/2 the one next to it... Each row will have 2 fewer rubber bands. For the third row, poll to withers and same thing. You can go another row or two, and I've even seen people keep doing the rows until they are down to one ponytail! I've tried using QuickBraid on the mane, but it makes it difficult to get the rubber bands around the "ponytails." A little bit sprayed on the mane when you're done helps keep down the fuzzies, though. Feronia actually pulled out a big chunk of mane right in front of her withers, and the hair is only about 3 inches long, so the weave stops where it starts.
    Thank-you so much!

I tried macrame as well, but mine sucked. Big Time. I'm going to save this in my Tips folder

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

It's a funny thing about riding with a good mentor. It will take all your fears and break them into pieces.

Redsmom Guest

Default Good for you!

Good for you to just go for it!!. I am in my fiftys now (aaaggghhh!), and have to push myself past things that I wouldn't have thought of when younger. Keep up the attitude!! And as the ad says...."Just Do It!!!!".
    P.S. BEAUTIFUL mare!

I was forwarded this thread by a friend and was laughing the whole time! I own one of Feronia's half brothers, Mythic Juma. He just turned seven, and we're successfully competing at Second Level. He too, loves to find "monsters" in very familiar corners on occassion, but hang in there....the journey is well worth it! I remember Feronia well when she was still with her breeders, and she looks wonderful. You're obviously doing a great job with her.
    Krista