The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please Help Me With "Tractor Talk" - Horsepower, PTO Horsepower, and Torque!

I am going to be in the market for a new tractor in the near future. The current tractor is an OLD Ford tractor - that's about all I know about it!
    This will be my first tractor shopping adventure on my own - please help me learn what I need to know!

Looking at a variety of the name brand websites, they talk about Horsepower, PTO Horsepower, and Torque. Can someone explain those in easily understood terms? And how do I determine how much of each I need? Looking to get what I will need without going overboard and ending up with something that is 10x more than what I need!

Thanks!

Before anyone can answer anything about power requirements, what are you going to be using the tractor for? Are you going to be only using it as a glorified garden tractor or are you going to be pulling 40 foot of air seeder? Are you going to be just using the PTO for a light mower (under 7') or are you running grain augers and/or grain vacs? Are you running a mo-co and a baler, if so, how big? If you just want something for basic bucket work, perhaps a skidsteer is the better option.

in short - base HP is what the tractor puts out to ground. PTO is power take off but there is more than just knowing the meaning of the terms....usage applies here too.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Before anyone can answer anything about power requirements, what are you going to be using the tractor for? Are you going to be only using it as a glorified garden tractor or are you going to be pulling 40 foot of air seeder? Are you going to be just using the PTO for a light mower (under 7') or are you running grain augers and/or grain vacs? Are you running a mo-co and a baler, if so, how big? If you just want something for basic bucket work, perhaps a skidsteer is the better option.

in short - base HP is what the tractor puts out to ground. PTO is power take off but there is more than just knowing the meaning of the terms....usage applies here too.

Current (dying) tractor has the following attachments: bucket, fork lift, rake, pretty large mower, a very large spreader (looks like a cone -for fertilizer and such - it's NOT a manure spreader), and post hole digger. At this point, I am thinking of getting all of the same attachments for the new tractor except the spreader, the mower and maybe the rake.

The bucket gets used for pushing up the manure pile (of a 30 horse facility), periodically scooping up the manure from the out-of-the-way pile and dumping it into the dump truck (good sized duel wheel truck with reasonably high side - definitely larger than your avereage pickup truck) to haul away, moving piles of crushed stone for replenishment of the driveway, replacing sand in the ring/paddock etc..

The forklift gets used to move jumps from the loft to the ring (and sometimes around the property). We have a special palate that we made that the forklift slides into and we can put the jumps on the palate and drive them wherever. MUCH easier than putting them in the truck or on a trailer! We also use the forklift/palate to move tack trunks, tents that we have for horse shows, etc.

The post hole digger doesn't get used all that often, but when it does it is wonderful to have! We have sand/clay and lots of rocks!

The mower I am thinking of giving up. We have not mowed the fields with the tractor in a long time. We use a large zero-turn Gravely instead. It is the vehicle of choice for that task now. It was too big of a pain to swap the mower deck off and on with the rake on the back of the tractor.

The spreader we have not used in years! Of course the field could use some fertilizer and seed, but . . .

The rake I am still deciding on whether or not I will get another like the one I have. We use it to drag the ring and ocassionally the driveway and all-weather paddocks. Ideally, I would like to get a true arena drag for the ring. Not sure how to handle the driveway and paddocks if I go that route though. Still thinking that through!

www.tractorbynet.com is a fabulous site for info. I lurked for months learning before I ended up with my Kubota
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I would honestly check out a skidsteer if that is all I was using a tractor for. They spin on a dime, can lift as much as half a yard of gravel, far easier to use for spreading and leveling 'dirt' AND are cheaper to run - they sip delicately at fuel compared to a tractor. Most skidsteers can be fitted with any attachment imaginable - from post hold augers to trenchers. It would be your better option if you do not need a PTO and have no plans to do any cultivation - skidsteers do NOT pull things very well because they lack torque (that applies mostly to pulling power, nothing else). If you do need a PTO, go with the the one with the highest HP for the size you may be limited to for space - no need to go with some 250HP behemoth, but also, don't buy an 'estate' tractor as most, despite being 30HP are glorified lawn tractors. I went through all this when I bought the John Deere. I was shown a variety of 25-40 HP tractors and told they were so cute and handy and my standard reply is how many feet of cultivator can it pull and can it handle a baler (need 60+hp for most balers), and that would send the salesman slinking off red-faced never to emerge again at least as long as I was looking around at stuff. John Deere was the place that treated me best, and treated me as if I had an actual working brain, were no comments about talking to hubby or anything, they just found what I needed and that was the end of the story.

Do be careful at dealerships and double careful if you try private purchase.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles