The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tiny flies that appear on fresh manure. Fly predators, or something else?

What are those tiny, tiny flies that appear almost instantaneously on fresh horse manure? It just occured to me that they could be my Fly Predators? It's almost as if they come out of the manure. Or are they just hanging around waiting until a fresh pile appears, and then they swarm the poo?

What are they?

In a swarm? Sounds like gnats to me...yucky things.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

We have the same thing -- I would guess they are some type of gnat but GAH! they are disgusting!

Most of our horses are out 24/7 but there are a few in the barn for various reasons. Two stall dwellers are Very Neat Mares who poop along the back wall of the stall. The wall near the manure piles looks like it has been STAINED BLACK -- until I near it with a pitchfork and the stain flies away en masse.

The gnats that swarm around our heads (the ones I swallow or breathe in, aaargh) are grey or brownish and the manure ones are definitely black, and seem smaller. But perhaps the same general species of nasty little critter... The barn swallows do a pretty good job on the swarming ones, though, and nothing goes after the manure ones except me.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

IIRC, one of the leaflets I got with my fly predators when I tried them gave a list of "bugs that congregate on manure" and there were 3-4 different ones. Something called a "flea" comes to mind, and manure gnats or some such.

I know there are two typical bugs on my fresh manure (I don't use predators) and one kind looks like little gnats (there are hundreds of them on a fresh pile) and the others are creepy yellow/brown fly-like things.

Not helpful, I know, but they certainly seem normal around here.
    Click here before you buy.

Smile

Don't you know? Those are called shit flys.....

It's especially awful when I'm taking out the wheelbarrow and I can feel them pinging off my arms....blech!

I think the fly predator material said they are beneficial because they either block or kill fly larvae? Or was I dreaming this? I agree... gross, but if they are doing something good... they can stay!

I don't think those are fly predators. I wish they were, but the fly predators are *really tiny*, like flea-sized. Those on the manure are a bit larger ... I thnk, actually, well, about gnat-sized.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by manyspots View Post
    I think the fly predator material said they are beneficial because they either block or kill fly larvae? Or was I dreaming this? I agree... gross, but if they are doing something good... they can stay!

We just started with the predators recently and DH read something similar to me about the litle gnats being beneficial after I swore to put the fly sprayers back on. I never had a problem with these "gnats" before and my barn seems loaded with them now. On a good note, the fly population is decreasing!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgreymare View Post
    We just started with the predators recently and DH read something similar to me about the litle gnats being beneficial after I swore to put the fly sprayers back on. I never had a problem with these "gnats" before and my barn seems loaded with them now. On a good note, the fly population is decreasing!
    hey Im resurrecting this thread! We noticed this year we have SWARMS of these black gnats.. they are awful.. BUT.. Ive been really good at using the fly predators and the feed -through bug stuff "Bugzzo" (or some such spelling) so we have no flies... now Im wondering if there is some relationship between the two with the large numbers of gnats, and no flies.. and--What are you all using to try and get rid of these things? Ive got a mare due to foal and I cant stand them in the barn in these numbers....

I know what you're talking about. They're icky to look at, but they seem quite strongly attracted to the manure, and don't bother the horses, so I don't worry about them.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket