The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Strange swelling?

So I got to the barn on Friday and my 8yo OTTB mare had a puffy chest and a fluid filled chunk of skin hanging between her front legs (looks like a breast, if that helps describe where it is). I looked for any kind of puncture wound or evidence of a bug bite. She is very sensitive to ticks and swells up so I thought maybe a horse fly or something bit/stung her. Put her on bute and the chest swelling is down but she still has the chunk of skin between her front legs. No pain or discomfort. It isn't hard and I can move it back and forth. I'm calling the vet tomorrow but in the meantime, any ideas?

I tried to take a picture but it didn't come out. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Prima Donna View Post
    So I got to the barn on Friday and my 8yo OTTB mare had a puffy chest and a fluid filled chunk of skin hanging between her front legs (looks like a breast, if that helps describe where it is). I looked for any kind of puncture wound or evidence of a bug bite. She is very sensitive to ticks and swells up so I thought maybe a horse fly or something bit/stung her. Put her on bute and the chest swelling is down but she still has the chunk of skin between her front legs. No pain or discomfort. It isn't hard and I can move it back and forth. I'm calling the vet tomorrow but in the meantime, any ideas?

I tried to take a picture but it didn't come out. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
    Is the chunk of skin like an open wound or is there no break in the skin?

Is she out with other horses? Hematoma from a kick maybe?

Swelling from an insect sting is always possible.

Was it warm to the touch?

Poor baby

"Is the chunk of skin like an open wound or is there no break in the skin?

Poor baby"

Thanks for the quick response!

No open wound, no break in the skin. She is out with other horses so a hematoma is a possibility. It is just weird that it is soft and I can move it back and forth. No warmth, no pain, no anything. She doesn't seem to care which is why I didn't call the vet out over the weekend. Everyone who sees it says they've never seen anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prima Donna View Post
    "Is the chunk of skin like an open wound or is there no break in the skin?

Poor baby"

Thanks for the quick response!

No open wound, no break in the skin. She is out with other horses so a hematoma is a possibility. It is just weird that it is soft and I can move it back and forth. No warmth, no pain, no anything. She doesn't seem to care which is why I didn't call the vet out over the weekend. Everyone who sees it says they've never seen anything like it.

Every hematoma I've dealt with on the chest was soft and you could flap it back and forth...they generally hung way down too (in between the front legs anyway). I ice them but some folks say doing hot compressed the first 48 hours then cold compressed after that.

Sounds like a hematoma to me. She probably got kicked ,and the swelling followed gravity south.

My best guess would be a well-placed kick.

Default I would agree...

Quote Originally Posted by horsekpr View Post
    Sounds like a hematoma to me. She probably got kicked ,and the swelling followed gravity south.
    I would say it was a kick as well. And as the above poster wrote, gravity is working...

I'm going to chime in too and say hematoma.

It sounds exactly like what happened with my horse.

I had never seen anything like it and got freaked, had the vet out on an emergency call (so I paid for a Sunday, emergency visit, farm call and exam) all for him to tell me "Eh, nothing to worry about. He probably got kicked, it looks like a hematoma."

As much as I was thankful that it wasn't anything serious, I was irritated with myself. Well, at least now I know what a hematoma on the chest looks like, feels like.

It took about two weeks to go away.

I had a mare that I found with something similar... I buted and cold-hosed her for a week, cold-hosed for 20 minutes or longer as many times a day as I could... it went away, she is fine now. I suspect she ran or slid into a fence post, but never found a thing to verify that.

Cindy
    Watching Hawk Arabians
    Home of ZEGAS
    *Ganges x Zabrynka
    http://www.watchinghawkarabians.com

Does the horse have a temperature?

Allergic reaction?
    Edema?
    Hematoma?
    Pigeon fever?
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.