The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What color fence???

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it white

6 20.00%
  • Paint it black

22 73.33%
  • other color

1 3.33%
  • black and white on different areas (or other color combo)

1 3.33%

Default Help me pick a fence color!

I have a little [cleared] 5 acre farm out in the middle of the woods. There was exisiting 4-board white fence when we moved in and we added more to match, staying with the white. As anyone who has white fencing knows....WHAT A PAIN to keep it looking nice! DH has been trying to talk me into painting it black for years, but I've been adamant about keeping it white. We're about to repaint the majority of it this summer and I've decided that I need some more opinions. I'm no longer totally adverse to black (and I'm open to any other suggestions!), but I'm worried that it will look a little dark on our cute little farm.

Does anyone have mixed fencing colors on their property? Our arena fence never got painted, and I actually kind of like the contrast of the wood with the exterior fence white, but I'm not sure if it's that I really *like* it or if it's just that I'm used to it (and subconsciously wanting to avoid the work of painting it)

Anyhow, here are pictures of some of the fencing:

Looking up the driveway from the road
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...94686761EGGXzK
    Down the road in front of the house:
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...94686761uyiSRe
    The house from the driveway:
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...94686761iThtqM
    pasture/arena from the house:
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...94686761utKSxS

What would you do? Black? White? Other? A combination of white and something else (I was thinking of keeping the house fence white, but not necessarily all of the pasture/arena fencing)??? HELP!!!

Hmm -Lovely place there and I can see what you mean about the fence. A trick I learned from a friend of mine is to print out color prints of your farm/fence and then color in with some choices. Maybe review the color names from the Crayola posse for a couple ideas? Burnt sienna?

As your house is set back from the main road, the white fence really draws you eye up towards the house. If you mixed the fence colors, you could use this to change that or enhance the affect.

Personally, black seems a little dark to me, but a cedar color or redwood color might look great. We refenced our house and this helped us pick a color that didn't klash too much with the red brick house.

You could paint one corner black, the other another color, right at the entrance of the driveway to the house and then look at that for a few days, against the white of the rest and have more to go by.

How about brown?

Very nice place you have and the white fencing does look pretty, but can imagine it would be hard to keep it white.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I would do a dark brown or black, but only because I like the way it looks. Having had both, I can promise you the maintenance is the same either way - paint is paint, and acts the same regardless of color.

If I ever have the pleasure of starting from scratch, I'll do a serious dark *stain* instead. Not maintenance free, but much easier than regular paint.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

We did a nice chocolate brown, while I do love it the white bird poop sure stands out. Last week I scrubbed poop off the fence, not like I don't have anything else to do.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23739...vND?vhost=pets Not the best photo of my fence but it might give you an idea.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27826...mTz?vhost=pets better photo of the fence
    Last edited by blton9th; Jun. 14, 2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: add better photo
    Collector of fine ponies.

In loving memory of Mr.Zipp 3-25-72 / 11-4-08

I have a similar problem with white fences.... They look nice when they are white - but the maintenance here in the evergreen state is too much. So, we are looking at brown vinyl or brown centaur fencing. I like the brown better than black.

do a compremise --- cresote the rest of the fence line which is a wood treatment in helping preserve the wood
    and paint the driveway length white that way it stays as it is looking up from the road
    but when in has all the wood treated plus if you have any cribbers cresote helps to prevent them chewing your wood as it dont taste nice

Very cute farm. How about keeping the fence along the road and up the drive white, it looks so classsy and stands out. And the fencing in front of the house a nice color such as barn red, and (not to add extra work) paint your front door the same color !!!!