The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question 359 and still waiting!

Ballista was bred on June 20th and confirmed at 60 days in foal. She looks preggers but still doesn't look like she's ready. This is her first foal. Does anyone have experience with their mares going this long?

I've tried everything, granduations, thunder and lightning storms, being out of town all day Friday. Still, she just stands there with a huge appetite.

The vet is coming on Tues. to check other mares and I'll have her checked too.
    Last edited by misita; Jun. 14, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

We have one that routinely goes well past her due date, and hardly ever gives us any notice that she's about to foal. Just have the vet take a look, and try not to be too tempted at the thought of going after her with a plunger

Default I was there too...

I had a mare go a whopping 376 days this year, I know precisely because she was only bred ONE time. I spent 40 days on foal watch, so I hear you loud and clear !

Her colt was born big enough to look over the stall door at me, and with the first 4 teeth in front already...

Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Gindarkh View Post
    I had a mare go a whopping 376 days this year, I know precisely because she was only bred ONE time. I spent 40 days on foal watch, so I hear you loud and clear !

Her colt was born big enough to look over the stall door at me, and with the first 4 teeth in front already...

Good luck !

40 days on foal watch? I would have been absolutly looney by then!

I've had two go to 341 this year, the longest ever. My girls seem to like to get it over with early (watch.. all the mares will go to 370 next year..).

Hang in there, are you testing her? Don't worry, she'll make you nice and tired. You'll sleep for an hour one night, and you'll wake up to 8 legs in the stall

Good luck, keep us posted!
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Old Trak mare went: 354, 365, 374 and 354

Obviously long was her 'normal.'

Up here I use 345 as 'average,' almost none go sooner than that.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I had one mare who went 365 on the button three years in a row. She died four days before her due date from a ruptured uterine artery so I don't know if she would have made it four in a row or not. We hadn't even begun the foal watch even though she was 338 days.

My mare went 355 days in 2007 with her first foal, a filly, and 369 days this year before delivering a beautiful and healthy colt....I don't even want to think how long she would go next time if and when I decide to breed her again (and yes, I started foal watch around day 330 thinking she went long the first time because she was a maiden!) Thankfully though, once she decides to foal, she starts the whole process from wax, to milk to foaling at 10 pm and finishes around 1 am the next morning.....both times!