The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Brits--Super Premium H.I.S (1950) TB

What does this mean? I found a TB mare with a pedigree to die for. Her name is Castaway. She had a son named Bauble, and the information on Sport Horse Breed database gives the breeder, and says that Bauble was a Super Premium H.I.S. Stallion. He had twenty offspring, most of whom are in as BSH, which I assume means British Sport Horse. Although I plan to run each one down in NED, what would it have meant for Bauble to have had that designation for breeding?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

The HIS (now called SHB - Sport Horse Breeders) used to award premiums and super premiums to Thoroughbred stallions that were presented for approval with them. Lots of great old eventing and hunter sires were HIS premium stallions. I didnt attend any of the old hIS approvals but the horses were all shown in hand and assessed for conformation and movement. I am sure someone else can tell you more
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

I bred to several HIS (Hunter Improvement society) stallions gazillion yrs ago

I don't remember all the details but the stallions were graded and the offspring registered and their competition results recorded .

One of the premier studs was Louella which I have pasted the link below.
    Some great TB stallions and so wonderful that breeders see them as something other than just racehorses.
    I think there are alot of people that miss out on some wonderful horses because of the stigma of it being a TB.

http://www.louellastud.co.uk/

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by cottagefarm View Post
    I bred to several HIS (Hunter Improvement society) stallions gazillion yrs ago

I don't remember all the details but the stallions were graded and the offspring registered and their competition results recorded .

One of the premier studs was Louella which I have pasted the link below.
    Some great TB stallions and so wonderful that breeders see them as something other than just racehorses.
    I think there are alot of people that miss out on some wonderful horses because of the stigma of it being a TB.

http://www.louellastud.co.uk/
    Thanks for the link to Louella. Quite a reputation they have developed over the years. I was just poking around in NED and found out that the dam sire of Primitive Proposal was Hoarwithy, a TB stallion that they stood who was also Super Premium H.I.S. They bred Primitive Proposal's dam, and seem to be the place to go for Primitive Risings sons and grandsons.

I love it that they breed for so many different disciplines/sports, including racing.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire