The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dear trainer,

You are made entirely of awesome.

Thank you for allowing me to sell myself in indentured servitude to you so I can lesson more regularly. Thank you for recommending me to the new boarding facility, which is perfect. You are enthusiastic about my itty bitty Arabian in the same way you're enthusiastic about the big fancy warmbloods you train, and that's refreshing.

You rock my socks. And if by some chance you read this - since I know you're on here - I'll be there bright and early tomorrow!
    Last edited by JulesGirl; Jun. 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: English fail.

Dear Current Trainer-

Thank you for telling me to stop thinking and start riding. Thank you for telling me (whether it's true or not) that I'm a better rider than I think I am. I had a great ride today and I think a lot of my "re-found" confidence is due to you...and I've only ridden with you 4 times.

Thanks.

Oh, and thank you for understanding that I can't afford to board with you but continuing to help me hunt for places closer to home. I really really appreciate it.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Dear Trainer.

Thank you for letting me lease your advanced dressage schoolmaster, for the cost of her shoes.

Thank you not kicking me to the curb after our first lesson. Where I forgot my diagonals, put the girth on unevenly and had my stirrups 4 holes too short, and couldn't relax for the life of me and nearly threw up with nerves.

You are awesome, you rock I am ordering a painting of the mare for you for Christmas.

Silver Snaffles

Dear Equine Dentist,

Do you hang out with SBT's farrier? If you want me to think you are better than the vets doing teeth around here then do a better job instead of giving me your opinion on how they are doing it wrong. It makes me uncomfortable that perhaps you doth protest too much and makes me less inclined to pay you more than I would pay them (especially considering they have that vet degree and all.)

Dear Trainer,

Thank you for turning my nervous, green, spooky horse into the animal I rode in the arena yesterday with horses cantering at him from every side and water trucks interrupting our ride followed by 20 meter circles and shoulder in/haunches in without a single spook. His rider still needs work on her nerves, but he's come a long way!

Dear Former Trainer -
    Thank you for ruining my confidence. Thank you for telling me that I should never shoot for qualifying for Devon because "I'm too old to be famous" and that I should "be happy to be able to flat a horse really well and prepare him for a professional". Thank you making me want to sell everything and walk away. You are a waste of a carbon footprint. Oh, by the way, calling to tell me what you believe are someone's sexual preferences because they moved to XYZ Barn is really NOT cool. Really.

Dear New Barn, New Trainer, New Owner -
    Thank you thank you thank you for letting me take my time in getting back in the saddle. Thank you for letting me do this sport on my own terms and allowing me to love it again. Thank you for instilling in me a sense of confidence that I have not known in a long time. Thank you for having a stress free barn, full of happy kids and adults.
    Last edited by hasahorse; Jun. 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by imissvixen View Post
    Dear Trainer,

Don't talk about me, my horse, or our combined abilities to anyone but me. I told you this the first time I rode with you. When I hear your assessment from a third party, particularly when it is not positive, it destroys any sort of trust I have in you. There are lots of trainers in the world. I am happy to move on.

Yours truly,

Imissvixenandabi

Does anyone else have any Dear Trainer letters they haven't sent but should?
    I had that happen to me in the reverse way. Third party told my instructor that I was jabbing my horse in the mouth with the bit. (rrrrright, that would about send my flaky a-rab right over the moon with his softy baby butter mouth). I had to spend an entire 1 hour lesson on my hands without my horse. I was very upset. Especially when I learned why that happened. This instructor (who has been mentioned on this board a few times) prides herself on communication. Needless to say I only lasted one more lesson after that. I didn't need another complex especially for the big $$ I paid for lessons over the 3 years prior to that incident. I thought it was pretty crappy of her to base my lesson on what someone who didn't like me told her about my riding. Instead of her first hand knowledge which I paid her for. It did certainly break my trust in her forever. Hope you feel better and work your problems out.

Dear Trainer (the one I rode with when I was able to afford lessons),

Thank you for making my horse something I never could have done with out you. Thank you for ignoring my fear melt downs and making me just do things that you know my horse could do.

Dear Trainer,
    Thank you for your sense of humour and competitive spirit and knowing which to use when.

Dear Former Trainer,

Why can't I find someone just like you? The trainers I've had since have all fallen short of your work ethic and professionalism. One regularly rips off his clients garnering him the nickname 15 minute man. Meaning the maximum time he rides his clients horses when they aren't around is about 15 minutes. The other lost interest in me when he found I wasn't independently wealthy. We were demoted to his assistant from then on. I've had others in between and since that weren't that bad, but nothing like you.

I'd go back to training with you in a heartbeat but I can't bear to move out of California. I keep hoping you'll miraculously move my way some day!

My barn has 2 trainers....which makes things interesting.

Dear Current Trainer,
    Thank you for teaching to become the alpha mare. Thank you for helping me a develop a respectful, trusting relationship with my horse. Thank you for letting me progress at my own pace, as my comfort level, time availability and finances dictate. Thank you for not ever implying that I am less of a horsewoman because I can't currently afford a second horse, shows or fancy tack.

Dear Other Trainer,
    Just because Current Trainer and you teach out of the same barn DOES NOT mean I want your opinion....on anything. Current Trainer has done wonders for my challenging little mare and my confidence. You on the other hand....not helpful, which is why I choose not to take lessons from you. I do not want to hear about how I should sell my horse and get another, just because you'd like another commission (like I'd involve you in a purchase anyway!). I definitely do not want to hear that losing confidence after a fall makes me a big baby and that I need to just get over it. I do not need to be reminded to pick up after my horse like I'm one of your 7 year old lesson kids. And one other thing: stop saying that riding x-country is the truest test of whether one is a real rider. Discipline snobbery is an ugly thing, no matter who it comes from.
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Default I feel so much better...

Dear Trainer,

I would like to thank you for welcoming me into your barn and being patient with my young and encouragable horse. You have been very supportive with my riding and I truely feel like we have made significant breakthroughs with your help.

I would however like to remind you that I have been riding and been activly involved in horses for over 20 years (gulp). During this time I have listened to vets, trainers, farriers, other experts and read and researched on different areas. I consider myself a student of the sport and the horses. SO when I come to you with a suggestion about feed changes to improve my horse I would expect you to listen and possibly discuss. Just sloughing off my suggestions is not appropriate. I maybe be young but I am knowledgable.

I am not someone who shows up to my waiting horse for a lesson and leaves after patting his nose and I do not expect to be treated like that person.

For all the good you are doing for my riding without mutual respect I can not move forward.

Sincerely,

I feel so much better, thank you for this wonderful topic!

Dear Trainer:
    Thank you for everything you have taught me. Thank you for bringing me to my first horse show and, after all these years, to my most recent re-entry into showing.
    Thank your for the confidence you instilled in me to know that as scary as the jump may look, as long as you said I could do it, I knew I could, and I would.
    Thank you for allowing me to join in on all of your lessons and learn from you as you taught others, and allowing me to be the riding example for your students.
    Thank you for taking care of my old pony and my horse when I decided to live my life without horses for a while...and then welcoming me back to the horse world and finding my new horse of a lifetime.
    Thank you for understanding when I decided to get out of horses for a while and have a different life.
    Thank you for being so encouraging and positive, and teaching me all that I know.
    I may never show it, but I appreciate everything you have done for me throughout my life.
    Thank you for introducing me to horses and keeping me grounded in my love of them and riding, and realizing how much there is to know, appreciate, and enjoy.
    Thank you trainer/MOM for being you and for loving me enough to always be there for me no matter what. I love you!