The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dear Trainer

Dear Trainer,

Don't talk about me, my horse, or our combined abilities to anyone but me. I told you this the first time I rode with you. When I hear your assessment from a third party, particularly when it is not positive, it destroys any sort of trust I have in you. There are lots of trainers in the world. I am happy to move on.

Yours truly,

Imissvixenandabi

Does anyone else have any Dear Trainer letters they haven't sent but should?

Dear Trainer,

I love you.

Love,

IB09

Sorry, my trainer is the best.

Dear Trainer,

thank you for your wonderful support and sense of humor. And for being so professional that even when I get gossipy and ask you about other riders, you find a way to graciously not go there.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Quote Originally Posted by Anselcat View Post
    Dear Trainer,

thank you for your wonderful support and sense of humor. And for being so professional that even when I get gossipy and ask you about other riders, you find a way to graciously not go there.
    Yes, that is exactly it. And if God forbid you are so unprofessional as to say something, say something good!

Dear trainer,
    Thanks for putting up with me even though I'm quite neurotic and wanted to go back to jumping 2' because I lost confidence for no apparent reason (no fall, no new horse, etc...). You are the best And thanks for driving an hour one way to teach me at my farm so that I can take lessons more consistently. I hope to continue to ride with you until I move out of state

Dear (not my) Trainer,

I reallyreallyreally did not appreciate how you held up the "A" ring at yesterday's show for well over an hour! If there were so many kids doing short stirrup in the "B" ring that it was taking that long, perhaps you could have come over to watch your one adult rider do her over fences trips so we could get on with it?! Instead, we all had to wait in the blazing hot middle of the day Florida sun because this perfectly competent grown up wasn't allowed to do anything without you. And why was that anyway? It seems to me that once you're showing over 3', you could go into the ring by yourself at local shows every now and then. At least once you got there you only made her warm up for 5 minutes before sending her into the ring....

So, in closing, (not my) Trainer, I could have done without your making my day longer and hotter than it needed to be - I'm sure my kid, the other competitors, and the horses feel the same way. Do you think you could work on that courtesy thing a bit before the next show?
    Y'all ain't right!

Thank you for being supportive even though I only take lessons sporadically.

Also, when I grow up I want to ride as well as you do.
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

Dear Trainer,

I can give you great responsibility for all of my accomplishments over the years. From coming to you with a skinny OTTB to going into the 3'3 mini medal with the same horse. Now, two horses later I couldn't be happier to be riding the horse you sold me (for a great deal). I hope I can make you proud in the medals to come.

You are the best!

Whinny, Smartie, and Lunar

Change that one to "Dear Veterinarian" and I could write the exact same letter

Now my trainer letter would look like this..

Dear Previous Trainer

Thank you for making me a better rider....you took my riding to a new level....I cannot tell you how many times I have helped other folks by spouting off the wisdom that you gave me. Just the other day, I told someone to think about creating the frame with your body and allowing the horse to come underneath you...the result was amazing and I got a HUGE thank you, that had clicked a lightbulb on for that rider (I told her where I go that brillant wisdom of course. ) Youre the best and we miss you alot.

Dear Current Trainer,

You are the master at getting on a horse and creating magic. Every time I ride my horse after you have ridden her, I can't get over how much better she feels.

There are few people in the horse industry as honest and down to earth as yourself....a big reason why you are such a popular trainer.

My horse would never be where she is now without your help.

THANK YOU

I heart my trainers and my farrier.

Beastie were you at the show in Jax? I was there!

back to the thread:

I actually have two trainers, one h/j and one an eventer and yes they both know about each other and are ok with it.

Dear trainers:
    thank you for understanding about my confidence issues from riding too many dirty stopper for too many years and from a shattered wrist. Thank you for helping me continue to try to conquer demons that i never thought I would have (riding wise). Thank you for never making me feel like you didn't want to be bothered with me, or it was beneath you to teach me, and for understanding how much pressue I put on myself, both for myself and for my young homebred mare.
    I really do appreciate it.

to the h/j er: thank you for doing such a great job with my mare this weekend at the show. It was very positive for her and much needed mileage.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Dear Farrier:

Though I believe you to be good at what you do, please do not badmouth my previous farrier because he shod my horse a little bit differently than you do. Like you, he is an AJF. UNlike you, he shod horses for me and over a dozen of my friends for 15+ years. He shoes all the horses for a large Intercollegiate team, and has earned the recommendation of vets, trainers, and even other farriers. He always did a fine job with my horse's crappy OTTB feet, and he was always courteous and professional. He even returned my phone calls. You will not win my trust and respect by trying to discredit him. My horse has four very different/asymmetrical feet because of genetics and being raced into the ground. To blame that on my previous farrier is absurd and unprofessional. If you wish to bolster your own reputation, do what he does and let your work speak for itself instead of telling every new client what a horrible job the last guy did.

Thank you!

dear trainer,

thank you for getting me through my confidence issues. I would be no where with out you. Thanks for finding me my horse to lease, and thanks for putting up with me when I was, um, well rather rude. Thanks for taking me to so many shows and spending the weekends there with me. Thanks for yelling at me when I needed it and being sympathic when I needed that too. Thanks for being my trainer. I would still be that skinny girl on the nasty chestnut gelding if it wasn't for you.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Dear Trainer,

I heart the fact that you call me and ask how my horse and I are doing. I love that I can e-mail you and my BM and we can all discuss my horse's program and express our views, and no one gets her panties in a wad.

-Onelanerode

P.S. Thanks for the new horse ... she's amazing.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Dear Trainer,

You rock.
    From the top notch care you give my horse, to the teachings you give me, big and small, you completely amaze me.
    I've never ridden so well, my horse has never looked good, felt so good. I owe a lot to you.
    Moving to your barn, was the best thing that ever happened to me and my horse.

Dear Fabulous Farrier,

Without your skills and knowledge, I don't know where we would be. I'm amazed by what you can do. You've brought my horse through some rough patches.
    I appreciate all that you've done. You come out whenever the horse needs you and for that I am eternally grateful.

Thank you both, for all that you've done for us.
    2hs and Bear
    Jen Evans & DaBear

First Trainer letter:

Dear ex-trainer,

The decision to leave you was very difficult but I was not progressing riding wise with you. It is funny how all your current students are having a hard time progressing to the next level but when they go to a new trainer they blossom into spectular riders. Teaching a student to jump before the flatwork is solid is really not a good idea. NOT SAFE. Also thanks for selling me a whacky horse that was good one second and the next seond a total whacko.

Dear Current Trainer,
    I don't even know where to begin with my gratitude of everything you have done for me. You understand that I have my little quircks and you laugh at how I deal with stress. I told you that when I have meltdowns at shows I will go into my stall and cry. I come out of the stall and the meltdown is completely gone. Also you gave me the confidence to canter over fences and smile while I am doing it. You saved me from my old horse that thought nothing of galloping around the ring like I am not even there.

Default My trainer is my second mom.

Dear trainer...
    Thankyou.
    Last edited by bethechangexx; Apr. 12, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Professional COTH lurker.
    Horses serve as a balm for the disquieted soul, and somehow allow even the most lost to feel at home in their presence ♥

cool...

Talking

Dear Trainer

I needed to experience a few other trainers before you, otherwise I never would have sufficiently appreciated you.

Put simply: There seems to be no limit to what we can accomplish now that I have found someone who believes in me and my horse.

Heard last year at a Daniel Steward Sports-Psych Clinic:

Former Trainer: (sarcastically) How have you been!!? OMG how on earth to you handle the torturous pressure of the show schedule you've been keeping??

Rider: Since you're no longer my trainer, I handle it just fine!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Dear Trainer,
    I'm an idiot, and I'm sorry.

Thanks and apologies,
    Yours truly.

Dear Trainer,
    FIX HER!

Yours truly,
    Tip
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Dear Trainer:

I can't believe I'm jumping! Thank you for making everything I learn seem like it just naturally builds on what I've been doing, so when I try something new, it isn't at all scary, just adding a bit on to what I've done before.

Huge thank you for dealing with my pretty much loosing it the first time I had to ride in a ring with a bunch of other people (I do love my private lessons) and an even bigger thank you for yelling at the girl who cut right in front of me when I was already 3/4 of the way into meltdown. Honestly that made me feel I (adult beginner) was as valued a client as a girl I know goes to A shows. I'm doing so much better riding in company now (I hope!).

Thank you for having a low stress, drama free barn.