The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question question about my used saddle- should I get it fixed?

I need some used saddle advice, I am about to try and sell my used saddle, BUT the issue is that their is a hole near the pommel of the saddle.

My question is do I bother to get it fixed first? And if so would something like this cost a lot to have fixed? Is it worth it or should I just try selling it with the hole still there?

I have added some links to some pictures of the saddle with the hole so you can see where the hole is exactly. Their is nothing wrong with the saddle otherwise and is only about 3 years old.

This is not a sale ad by any means, I am really just wondering what steps I should take in trying to sell this saddle the right way. Thanks all!!!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22858...51275420WZPgqT

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21836...51275420YvncIx

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23381...51275420ujawZh
    Caught by a Flash -Equine Photography

East Coast Jumps -Custom Wood Horse Jumps

Bad news for you: that's one of the most expensive saddle repairs out there. This blog post at Trumbull Mountain Tack Shop explains why:
    http://saddlefitter.blogspot.com/200...ssignment.html

You'd be lucky to find someone willing to do it for $500. In other words, you'd probably turn a better profit selling the saddle with damage than you would by selling it after the repair.

Ditto jn4jenny. The whole seat will have to come out and be replaced in order to make it look normal. I would try selling it first before you go make any expensive repairs for something you don't even want.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Sell it as is and if anyone asks you about it you could suggest that they get it patched. I don't recall off the top of my head what the average charge is for that repair, but it's significantly cheaper than having the seat repaired.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

You might want to call Dover and see if they are willing to replace the saddle - it looks like it might be a manufacturer defect. I know it's not an expensive saddle, but if it's getting normal use, it should still last more than three years, IMO. I've owned a lot of saddles and ridden a lot of horses in them, and none of them have ever busted a seam. In my experience, Dover has wonderful customer service and may be able to help with a replacement or credit.

Justice,
    Thanks I am actually just trying to sell it as is, I already have another saddle that fits me and my horse much better, I am hoping to be able to sell it the way it is. If I don't have much success I guess I can go the route of seeing if Dover will replace it then go from there....
    Caught by a Flash -Equine Photography

East Coast Jumps -Custom Wood Horse Jumps

Quote Originally Posted by bayknight View Post
    Justice,
    Thanks I am actually just trying to sell it as is, I already have another saddle that fits me and my horse much better, I am hoping to be able to sell it the way it is. If I don't have much success I guess I can go the route of seeing if Dover will replace it then go from there....
    I'm sure it would be fine for a lesson saddle or for a beginner. Good luck!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

i called a long time ago about repairing the seat. the repair man told me to use crazy glue to stop the damage from getting worst. i did and never needed the saddle repaired. i still have the saddle from years ago and only use it when my new saddles seem to be in the repair shop.
    another option would be for the buyer to use a fleece saddle seat. then it will not matter if the saddle has a wear spot.

Would that effect the saddle in any way or is it just cosmetic?
    "Riding a horse ... is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed."

City of delusion in the state of total denial

It's just cosmetic.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

thanks to jn4jenny for the link with pics!!

Have the same problem with a 3 year old Devoucoux. Factory isn't any help. First quote for repair is well over $500.00. After seeing the pics I understand why.

sell it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamss View Post
    High quality engllish saddle repair,
    if your saddle need a new leather seat, new knee pads or new billets.
    We also readjust foam or wool panels for a better balance and horse back protection.

Please don't hesitate to ask for a cotation of your repairs, you can also send us a picture
    of your saddle, and we will give you all the information you may need.

Based in Sebastopol, CA,
    please contact Shamss at 707-758-1041
    or at sportsaddleservice@hotmail.com or visit www.sportsaddleservice.com
    What's a cotation?

I like to ride in jeans, but this may be an example of why my trainer says not to....
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450