The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Hunter Breeding Classes

Posting here though I am one of those "dressage" people. I have a lovely dressage mare who is retired from competition. I'd like to show her in the mare class at some local hunter shows. My first question is: Are there any local shows in the Southern Chester County area? They don't need to be rated. I just want to do something with my mare for entertainment while I'm waiting for her 2 year old daughter to grow up. My next question is what type of bit, bridle, reins etc. do you show in? Also, do you guys use hoof polish and how do you "turn out" your horse for the ring? My mare has a dressage tail so I will be unable to braid it. Is that acceptable? Do the local/unrated shows offer Non-Thoroughbred classes like Devon does? Thanks for any information.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Hunter breeding is only for horses age 1 -3 so I'm guessing she is older than that since she has a 2 y/o on the ground so you wouldn't be able to do those classes. You most likely going to have to find shows that have performance type classes at open shows "think halter classes" if you want to show an older horse.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

I thought that Hunter Breeding had a mare class for Suitable to Produce? I know they've always had one at Devon (I haven't been there for a number of years, so it may have changed). Sugartown also had one because i showed a TB mare at both of those shows in the late 80's.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

There will be a few special shows that will hold them like devon and upperville but they are few and inbetween (most of the time the mare will have to have a foal by her side also for those classes). You would have better luck with open shows because they will have halter but will also have hunter in hand stuff to and those generally are any age horse not just the younger horses.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

The Hunter Broodmare classes are for mares that are currently in-foal or have a foal at-hoof. They do not offer Broodmare prospect classes. My one mare won the Non-TB Broodmare class at Upperville two years ago. We always braid manes and tails.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Actually, the "Suitable to Produce" class at Devon is for mares 4 and over that are just that, suitable to produce. A broodmare class will require proof of having been bred. Either way, the classes are rare. Smaller shows don't usually offer them.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com