The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dutton clinic in Bloomington, IN anyone?

Is anyone going to the Phillip Dutton clinic at Up-N-Over next month? I'm going along with my trainer and QHquest I know it was advertised on the Indy Eventers Yahoo group, but didn't hear of it otherwise. I'm pretty sure there is still room if anyone is interested.

http://www.upnoverstables.com/clinic...nic%202009.pdf

I won't be around, but I forwarded this to my trainer who is looking to make the big leap up to "A" with her young horse this summer.
    Click here before you buy.

crazy4eventing Guest

Have either of you done a clinic with PD in the past? Any insight you care to share on what the his clinics are like?

years ago. I agree with the other threads that you get less feedback about specifics of how to fix problems than at some other clinics, but the questions are very good and appropriate and he is a fun clinician with a nice, low-key sense of humor
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I used to ride with Nad Noon at Up N' Over years ago and attended clinics with Dutton in the late 90's several times - twice on my experienced mare in the T/P group and once on a green mare in a BN/N group. Personally, Dutton is NOT one of my favorite clinicians.

He is a great rider and obviously very talented, but I didn't think he was able to transfer that knowledge and ability through his teaching. I got the impression he was bored with us - even in the T/P group - and was simply going through the motions. However, I did feel he had more to say when I was riding in the BN/N class but then the horses had more "issues" pop up and he HAD to tell us how to get through those issues.

On a side note, I LOVE Nad and his facility in Ellettsville (outside of B-town) is awesome so I would go and support them and give PD a try. There were definitely a few of us who were a bit turned off by Dutton's seemingly dismissive/bored attitude, but you may like him. This was also more than 10 years ago so maybe he is a more learned teacher now.
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekDressageQueen View Post
    I used to ride with Nad Noon at Up N' Over years ago and attended clinics with Dutton in the late 90's several times - twice on my experienced mare in the T/P group and once on a green mare in a BN/N group. Personally, Dutton is NOT one of my favorite clinicians.

He is a great rider and obviously very talented, but I didn't think he was able to transfer that knowledge and ability through his teaching. I got the impression he was bored with us - even in the T/P group - and was simply going through the motions. However, I did feel he had more to say when I was riding in the BN/N class but then the horses had more "issues" pop up and he HAD to tell us how to get through those issues.

On a side note, I LOVE Nad and his facility in Ellettsville (outside of B-town) is awesome so I would go and support them and give PD a try. There were definitely a few of us who were a bit turned off by Dutton's seemingly dismissive/bored attitude, but you may like him. This was also more than 10 years ago so maybe he is a more learned teacher now.
    I think he has gotten more into a teaching mode, I too, thought he was a bit bored with us last time I rode with PD. Nad is great and I hope the clinic is a success.

crazy4eventing Guest

Anyone else planning to attend the PD clinic at Up n' Over in Bloomington, IN or have experiences to share from past rides in one of his clinics?

Default Cancelled.....

I am sooooooo bummed! They only had 10 people register so far and decided to go ahead and cancel I really think that a lack of advertising contributed (part of the reason I posted about the clinic in the first place- I hadn't seen a thing about it except for on the Indy Eventers' Yahoo listserv)- nothing on the Area 8 website or on MSEDA either. So, does anyone know of anything else cool going on that weekend? Any other clinics or fun things???

Fox Chaser, not that same weekend but Dorothy Crowell is coming to LAZ's place (Central Indiana) July 18 and 19.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham