The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's selling right now?

...If anything.

Regardless of geographic location, what's selling right now? Young? Old? Made? Green? Under $50K? Over $50K? Hunters? Jumpers? Etc., etc.

Would be curious to hear from recent buyers and sellers. I have nothing for sale, but am thinking about an investment horse to sit on for awhile.

....very little of anything.

I think people are "waiting" to see how the economy goes, afraid to sell too low, afraid to buy too high...buyers waiting for fire sales...sellers holding on longer than usual. With that said, I am buying a prospect this year, trying to ignore the scarey economy...buying a nice foal for a fair price. No guts no glory....

My friend can't get so much as an inquiry on a $6500 5yo AQHA mare with some decent local ribbons.

I, on the other hand have been bombarded with good offers on my 6yo for free lease.

I sold quite a few horses up thru early May. Sold one fancy 4 yr old prospect for around $20K, sold one jumper prospect for a bit under $10K, sold a couple in the $5K range. Have one now that I have had TONS of inquries about, but apparently people are not being realistic about what under $5K will buy them, so not sold yet, although he is a good buy for the money. Other than that horse, pretty "dead" right now. ALthoug economy plays a part, having sold horses for years, this is just a bad time of year for sales, kids just got out of school, parents going on vacations, people have what they want to show for this year etc. If you buy a prospect plan to sit on it until it is going pretty solid in the market.

My barn's been selling one or two a month pretty religiously. Most are in the under 10K because we mostly have young horses, but we've sold two in the 20-30K range this year. We have about 2 people come out a week looking at the sale and lease horses. A lot of time wasters, but a lot of serious people too.

People are being kind of a pain though. We get a lot of people expecting the world for nothing. Payment plans, asking if the $2,500 horse is negotiable, etc. I don't get so much silliness from the people looking at more expensive horses, but it seems like people looking at horses under 5K have no clue, as if because others are hurting, an AA show prospect is suddenly going to fall into their lap for $3,000.

I've found that it goes in waves. Everyone wants a prospect in the winter, and then when spring rolls around, the established show horses are more likely to go. Now that it's summer, things have slowed even more, and only the dressage horses are getting any real interest. You can't go wrong with a big bay gelding (chrome not necessary) with a sweet temperament and decent way of going. Those will sell within a few weeks. Whatever you do, don't get a mare. We've sold 8 geldings so far this year, and only one mare. She's nice too, more of a man than any of the guys. People are applying the stereotype now more than ever it seems, and some have called and said "No, I will absolutely not look at a mare" when it was suggested she might be better at packing their beginner butts around. Before the ecomonomy went to pot, people were a little more willing if it seemed like a mare would be perfect for them, but not anymore.

I have a Child/Adult Hunter/Equitation horse (mare) that I have been trying to sell for a year now. I have only had one person try her and after she had me out on a Sunday to show her to her she tells me she has to sell her horse first! LOL Nice horse too and she has multiple Equitation Final mileage and a great show record in the Hunters and Equitation.
    Four years ago when I was looking for a horse like this I couldn't find one! It took me 9 months to find a nice 3' horse for another student then.

The big show horse market hasn't really been affected. I mean the economy hasn't really affected the people that can afford the 1.30 + horses. So those are all selling fairly well, because regardless a good horse is still a good horse, and their prices have definately not gone down.

melissap51 Guest

Here in Texas, the $8k to 20k are doing ok. The warmblood is the big demand although we specialize in off the track or unstarted TB's. I have two coming 4 yr old TB geldings that I won't even market until they show. They are both so nice and will be able to compete and win with the WB's, but wouldn't get what they are worth until they show. A year ago, we were selling them as soon as they got to Texas in 3 days. I have alot of people wanting me to find them "A" show quality horses for $2500!! I tell them to look at the Canter website and find them like we do.

As always, horses that are presented to buyers doing what they are represented as being able to do in a location where buyers can see several at once are selling if appropriately priced. The easier for the buyer to see and try multiples that meet their budget and criteria, the better chance of a sale.

Buyers are even more reluctant to spend more money chasing down single horses in remote locations that may lack the facilities to properly demonstrate the horse's claims...like claiming it's a level 6 Jumper and having only skimpy 3' fences on bad footing available to prove that or allow the buyer to see if it suits them.

So marketing is even more important. Also, if you are selling one, ask yourself if you know anybody at all who will spend what you are asking on a horse? If you don't know anybody who spends, say, 30k, on a horse, it's going to be hard to attract them to your place to look at a single horse at that price point.

They are still selling at shows and the bigger barns with better marketing and thru networking between trainers who routinley deal in that type and price of horse.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Up here it's the middle of the road market that is affected. Those 3ft to 3ft9 horses are just not moving very fast (those are generally the $15,000 to $40,000 horses). The really cheap horses are moving fast and the upper 5 figures & 6 figure horses are still moving (I think those people have just not been affected like the lower/middle wage earners).

Horses that were $75,000 - $85,000 last year are this year in the $40,000 range! So, if you can afford it, you can get some really nice horses for 50% less!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I've had my horse posted for sale since February with very little response. I have her posted at reasonable price (around 5k area) with what I feel is a good ad. She's a great all around horse that I expected to draw a lot of attention, but I've only gotten a handful of e-mails/inquiries and only had one person come out and try her... think the markets a little hit or miss right now!

Any quesses on how the pony finals auction will be? Last year was suprisingly good.

I am not so sure about this year. Have one going, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I've had my eq gelding for sale now for a few months. He's done lots of medal finals, some jumpers. Super safe, great teacher. Have had some interested calls, but most people are looking for a lease situation right now because the commitment is relatively low. I have him priced at 40k in Los Angeles.

People are still buying and selling, you just have to get it to the right market and for the right price. Taking them to shows and having people see them there helps too.

If he doesn't sell soon, I might send him to a sale barn as they have said they've had some good luck selling horses like him.

Quote Originally Posted by rupenthal2 View Post
    Any quesses on how the pony finals auction will be? Last year was suprisingly good.

I am not so sure about this year. Have one going, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    I think they will have more to chose from consignment wise and this is a place like I mentioned earlier. Lots of Ponies to try and lots of buyers to try them.

Don't forget that many of these these Ponies will be there for the AA shows in the 2 weeks before PF. Some will sell there and be withdrawn from the sale and buyers will have ample opportunity to observe the Pony competing.

Any auction is more dependent on the quality of consignments and the ratio of made and proven to unproven prospects then the overall economy. If they get alot of good ones in there, it might be a higher average then you think. If they get alot of green and unproven...or those that have been passed around trying to sell for a long time...it will pull the average down in any economy.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Not too many hits on my young green horses...people seem to think at 4 that they should be marching around the 3' division already....
    I did however sell my 9y/o QH that is a 3' packer and a training level event horse for 18k...easy sale...he was advertised for 2 weeks...first people that came to look at him bought him.
    I don't know what it's going to do but I'm not buying anymore horses until I can let go of a few...7 is wayyy too many!

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    So marketing is even more important. Also, if you are selling one, ask yourself if you know anybody at all who will spend what you are asking on a horse? If you don't know anybody who spends, say, 30k, on a horse, it's going to be hard to attract them to your place to look at a single horse at that price point.
    Well, I guess I will sort of have the opposite problem. I'm in a barn that's selling upper-5 and low-6 figure horses right now... If, and when, I have my own project for sale, it will be priced significantly below that (i.e., I'm looking at a ~$5,000 investment to resell for ~$20,000 to a more local, smaller market).

Quote Originally Posted by sp56 View Post
    I've had my eq gelding for sale now for a few months. He's done lots of medal finals, some jumpers. Super safe, great teacher. Have had some interested calls, but most people are looking for a lease situation right now because the commitment is relatively low. I have him priced at 40k in Los Angeles.
    I have found this to be very true out here in southern California, but oddly, it wasn't the case back in Texas, where I'm from.

I just bought a really lovely 3' hunter...early teens, was in the 20-30k range, had been doing the 3'6 hunters, cute mover, cute jumper, vetted well. I was supposed to go try a couple more, but one of them sold so we didn't make the drive just to try one.

So far most people in my barn are sticking with their current horses, but another girl just bought a super 3' packer and one got a really cute made medium pony earlier in the year.

I have been selling horses since October average 2 a month,once 3 in a week.
    All green OTTB's and one Appendix. Priced from $30K down w/ the majority being under $10K, average about $5K.
    Steady stream of customers mostly looking to replace a horse, and almost all sold before May have now been to the show ring, dressage arena or horse trialed and all have done exceptionally well for their new Moms.
    Last year the customers dried up by now and did not reappear until fall but have a steady flow. But I have a niche operation and try not to deviate from what works.

I think everything is still moving, just at prices that are a little bit more reflective of what the horses are actually worth. I really think that everyone got spoiled by an inflated economy and now have no concept of what anything is actually worth. It seems to me that "Nothing is moving" actually translates to "Nothing is moving for the inflated prices that they used to".
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris