The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question What?Can't sleep in the GN? Will I die?

Ok..Yippee! JUst bought a new trailer so that hubby can play and come along! Like new and the exact brand I wanted. I did have to give up the LQ but I got A/C.

BUT---BIG LETTERS over the door say "WARNING DO NOT SLEEP IN THIS AREA FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY"

What? When you go to the 4/Star page and read the owners manual--it says the same thing. Only sleep in a LQ.

I'd rather not die--or have serious injury...but really don't sleep in the GN of a trailer w/AC? Tell me the scoop COTH...

Who sleeps in their GN w/the AC on? What is this warning? Is this a cover your butt type of warning for the trailer companies?

I'm going to guess that they didn't equip it with a smoke detector, propane detector, or CO detector....if ALL you have in the GN is the AC, add in a smoke detector and a CO detector (mount it low, that's a heavy, low gas) and I think you would be fine.

Congrats on your shiny new 4Star!!

If the A/C requires the engine to be idling there could be a carbon monoxide issue. I read not too long ago about people who died of CO poisoning because of running the engine to power something, cannot remember now what it was, probably a heater.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Default A/C

The A/C doesn't need the engine, but it does need a 110V power source. Most LQs have a kick out window in the GN for emergencies too. You can change that out pretty easily and then mount your detectors.

Default Sticker Translation here...

Quote Originally Posted by bosox View Post
    BUT---BIG LETTERS over the door say "WARNING DO NOT SLEEP IN THIS AREA FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY"
    Translation -- Get rid of this sorry piece of crap and buy one with REAL Living Quarters.

Seriously, just like others have mentioned, it doesn't have the safety features, it would, if it was complete with LQ's. This releases their liability if something was to happen...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
    http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

I smell CYA.

If you've got an A/C you're on your way, but are the walls and roof insulated? If not the A/C is going to run like the Devil trying to keep the area cool. Do you have any windows? If not, it can get kind of claustraphobic. Does it have a vent? If not it's going to get "close" (even with the A/C). I would find an unfinished gooseneck area unsatisfactory as a sleeping quarters, but YMMV.

We had a finished tack room and mid tack area that we combined and made into a "weekender" type area. We've got windows, a bar sink, 'fridge, microwave, and Incinolet. It didn't cost all that much (way less than a formal LQ) and is good enough that we've spent as long as 14 days in it.

To run the A/C you'll need 110v power. That means a hook-up or a generator. If you go the generator route I'd recommend a pair of the Honda EU-2000 gensets hooked in parallel (giving 4000 watts of capacity). They are not cheap but they have a three year warranty and run very quietly. They can also be easily loaded and unloaded from a pickup by one person. Finish the system with an extended run time tank and you're in business.

Congrats on the new trailer.

G.

The couple that died a early in the year died in a trailer with living quarters.

As I recall, they had a generator placed too close to the trailer.

I sleep in my gooseneck regularly.

I use it for hunting and usually take a couple of hours nap before heading home.

In the summer, I go to the mountains every Sunday night, so I will be going tomorrow night.

There are only two dangers. One is running a gen too close to it. I do not run a gen.
    I have a double sleeping bag, one inside the other, and 12 degrees does not bother me.

The only other danger that I have been exposed to is a high wind in a thunderstorm. There is only one door on one side so if it turned over, you would not get out the door.

I can kick the window out, but it is pretty small. Typical Sundowner sliding window.

DO NOT use any of those little propane heaters that claim to be safe. They are not, not only from the carbon dioxide danger, but they are a fire hazard in the typical gooseneck.

Just use your head and it is safe.

Obviously using your head means never ever sleep in it with the truck engine running, not when in motion, not ever.

And any generator in use should be down wind from the trailer and whatever the prescribed distance in the gen hand book.

CSSJR

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

Cssutton, thanks for having a better memory than I do! (on setting the record straight on the folks who died)
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I believe trailers with LQ may also have windows that are designed for escape, which regular trailers don't have. That said, I've snoozed in many a gooseneck and am still here to tell the tale.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Well, I guess I have not seen that warning on new trailers, but I have not looked that closely.

I spent many a horse show weekend sleeping in the GN of 3 different unfinished (no LQ) trailers. We did not have heat or A/C in any of them.

I lived to tell the tale.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I guess you nuke pets, too!

sry could not resist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

What the warning means is that the laywers that work for the company had to do something to protect the company should someone sleep in the gooseneck and die... people have slept in goosenecks for ages, and I've never heard of anyone dieing.