The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suede half-chaps in washing machine?

Just like the title says - I got some grossness on a pair and wondering if doing this with some bleach will ruin them? Don't really care how they look afterward as long as they still fit and are functional.

Not sure I would use bleach.

However, washer is great. I throw mine in on a gentle cycle with leather therapy wash, and a couple of old towels. Do an extra spin cycle to "dry" them and then slather with conditioner while wet and lay out to dry in a cool place. I've done this with Ariat and Treadstep 1/2 chaps without any problems.
    - Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

I'd skip the bleach.

I've washed mine with great results. They will bleed, so them was solo or with things you don't care about.
    Jen Evans & DaBear

I also wouldn't use bleach, however I rarely use bleach in general. Wash in cold water and they should be fine.
    CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
    Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton

Skip the bleach Try Leather Therapy leather wash, I've washed half chaps in the washer with that before and they come out beautiful.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

i've thrown my suede full chaps in the washer before with no ill effects. (i let a friend borrow them and they stretched a bit!) i just used regular detergent, warm water, laid them out flat to dry. they didn't really shrink, but did 'tighten' up a bit, so just be aware of that if your chaps are anywhere near being too tight already. they came out fine, didn't dry or crack, and were nice and clean!

I wash my suede stuff all the time. I would not however, recommend bleach. I use pepede leather wash. It is really great stuff! There is a link to it below from smartpak. Just a warning though, the leather comes out a bit on the stiff side but nothing bad enough that one or two rides couldn't fix. Also the leather usually shrinks just a bit, so if they are already a little tight on you, it could be hard getting them back on after washing.

Here is the link:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=5264

I have washed mine in the machine using Pepede and they come out looking like new, but I would not use bleach. If they are a little tight, just put them on over bare legs and walk around the house for a few minutes, that's all it took to get my Tredsteps back to normal, there was no significant shrinkage.

I would not use bleach, but wash mine all the time with Tide. They are ten years old and still look fine.

I had to wash my full chaps cuz they got soaked in show sheen.
    Don't even think I used woollite or leather therapy, just detergent.
    (in the dorm laundry, ha!)
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!