The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Saddle choices for the mutton withered

I have a problem. I have a mutton withered horse that my saddles don't fit. The problem is, I can't even really do any 'training' with him because two laps around the roundpen and the saddle is up his neck (and he's come unglued once). I want saddle experiences to be happy for him. I don't want to spend a ton of money just yet because frankly...he's the only one built like this and I'm in the process of getting weight off of him so his shape will be changing. I mean, I'd like to keep it under $400 for used condition.

What are your recommendations? I don't care if it's English or Western, I just want something that fits. What about the Wintec saddles with the Easy Change gullet systems?? Since my other horses have withers, it would be nice to have a saddle that fits more than one horse, but I'm unfamiliar with them. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Do you have a saddlery nearby that has "demo" or even new saddles to try on for fit? Do you have a saddle fitter in the area?
    I like the Bates leather, but I am not a fan of synthetic. Sometimes the fit is not only wrong in the front, but through the whole lenth of the saddle. Make sure there is plenty of width between the panels underneath.
    My County Stabilizer fits my fat, round, almost shapeless ponies to a "T". It is an XW tree and the panels sit on the back perfectly.
    Once you find a type that fits, then you can start looking for a used one.

So far as western, the only saddle so far to fit my above ponies is an older Billy Cook with full QH bars as it also had a generous gullet width.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

it would help to see pictures of your horse.

Mutton withers, tend to be on rounder horses, but then can exist on A-frame shaped horses. The A-frame horse might be able to wear a round saddle, but a round horse usually cannot wear an A-frame saddle.

I don't have any straight on conformation shots that I can find in my files right at this moment. But here's a couple.

http://www.tristanbaker.net/eBay/mutton.jpg

http://www.tristanbaker.net/eBay/mutton1.jpg

My suggestion would be a Sensation saddle.

It is treeless but is working FAB for my witherless barrel shaped horse.

It is also better than the best seat you have ever sat on or in.

I use it with an Equipedic pad but others also like the Skito pad.

It is above your price range new but you may be able to find a used model for that amount.

Oh yeah, and if you can't tell from the pics this horse has an extremely short back too.

Keep the suggestions coming!

I do have a huge tack store about an hour away but not sure about loaner type saddles. I'll have to call and ask. We're in Walking Horse country so all I've really seen out there is Western and a variety of cutback saddles (which I have one and it doesn't even work).

Oh-my boy is very short backed. Sensation works well for that too!

Gerri from the website below is where I got mine-she does have a demo she can send you.

http://www.ridetreeless.com/

Some of the old Stubben Siegfrieds will fit just about any horse. You can probably get one for a good price on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Oh-my boy is very short backed. Sensation works well for that too!

Gerri from the website below is where I got mine-she does have a demo she can send you.

http://www.ridetreeless.com/
    Thank you so much! The only reason I'm trying to keep the price lower is because I want something he can feel free to tear up without me freaking out. Once he's coming along nicely I'm more than willing to drop more money down on one. I'm just doing baby steps

Ah, mutton withered and round

You can actually get away with a truly close contact saddle (ie thin panels) because there really isn't anything bony you are trying to avoid. That doesn't mean the gullet can be narrow - it still must be wide enough.

what's your price range?

You really might want to try a crupper also. I had one table backed draft cross here for training and nothing else would keep any saddle I had here off her neck. I used my treeless saddle on her too...and even it would go forward on her.

What a handsome pony! Our pony was built a bit differently...more like a coffee table, but she was also very thick across the withers. A Duett rep came to our farm and measured her for a saddle. I had heard that Duett specializes in wide backs/hard to fit sizes. The saddle was reasonably priced and the quality is excellent.

I have the saddle for you, Western, but it's a tad out of your price range....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    You really might want to try a crupper also. I had one table backed draft cross here for training and nothing else would keep any saddle I had here off her neck. I used my treeless saddle on her too...and even it would go forward on her.
    That's what I'm afraid of. I don't even want to know the rodeo that will ensue when I try to train him to wear a crupper That's why I mentioned my cutback wouldn't work. It's treeless.

He's a 15 hand Arab to to give a better idea of size.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    I have the saddle for you, Western, but it's a tad out of your price range....
    I've ridden once in the last 3 years. That's another reason I'm not going to drop a ton on a saddle. Even though I'd like to have him trained, even then, I won't be riding heavily. I've got riding horses, I just don't ride. I just enjoy them...not a big active rider. I've had my cutback saddle for 5 years and have yet to sit in it while on a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    What a handsome pony! Our pony was built a bit differently...more like a coffee table, but she was also very thick across the withers. A Duett rep came to our farm and measured her for a saddle. I had heard that Duett specializes in wide backs/hard to fit sizes. The saddle was reasonably priced and the quality is excellent.
    I have heard amazing things about Duetts

Ahhh... I have two Arabs (Crabbet lines) with very similar builds. I did use a Wintec English for a while, but even in the XW gullet it wasn't wide enough. The Wintec westerns are not adjustable.

The issue is that with mutton withers and a wide shoulder, the tree needs to be "U" shaped. Many saddles (including the Wintecs) are shaped more like a "V" since that's the shape of the majority of horses backs.

What worked best for me was a treeless. I have a Bob Marshall endurance (they also come in Western, which we got for my husband's TWH) and an Ansur dressage saddle. These are definitely higher than $400, but you can get a Bob Marshall for @ $900, and they are TOUGH saddles. I doubt that your greenie will be able to damage it.

Here's the Bob Marshall I have. http://www.sportssaddle.com/b_endurance.php I bought it new, directly from Bob Marshall, with no customization. It's a bit goofy looking, but INCREDIBLY comfortable. Also, I started my green three-year old in it over the winter, and it held up just fine.

I use a Skito pad with mine. There are several brands of pads designed for treeless, but you do have to get a pad that is designed to distribute the pressure. Also, a mohair girth and an endurance style breastplate will work wonders to keep the saddle from slipping.

If you're not interested in a treeless, you need to look for something with a "U" shaped tree. A few brands to look at are Black County and Duett. You may also want to check with a saddle fitter for additional suggestions.

An interesting side note - I was at a dressage clinic with my 23-year old Arab, and the instructor asked about my saddle. When I mentioned it was treeless, she said that she doesn't usually recommend them for most horses, but for Arabs and Morgans with builds like mine she likes them because they don't constrict the shoulder and the backs are wide/flat enough to distribute the pressure.

Good luck!

Have you tried an Arab treed saddle?

I too have a problem with my round mutton withered POA. An Arab treed Fabtron helped quite a bit.

I had a Bob Marshall Treeless which I loved, but it slipped horribly on her.
    Sliped side to side and would end up on her neck if we trail rode down hills. Never mind mounting with out a mounting block.

There was just nothing to hold the saddle it in place.
    Ended up selling it on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    Have you tried an Arab treed saddle?
    I actually have not. I have one mare that's slightly mutton withered but nothing like him. Everybody else has about average to low average withers, but at least they've got withers My saddles fit totally fine on them.

He's also going on a crash diet. I'm hoping if I knock quite a bit of weight off I will suddenly see some hint of withers and maybe the problem won't be so bad. I've had him since he was 6 months old. I need to go look for some yearling pics and see if he was always like that. I have to wonder if it's not just fat pads that have developed behind the shoulders that is causing a lot of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    DEFINITELY going to the Duett site, taking wither tracings, and talking to Nancy! Their saddles are not the highest quality but omg they are NICE for the sub-$1000 price!