The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default stirrup leathers

So how often do you replace yours? I get the calfskin kind that supposedly don't stretch...but on the outside where your boot hits, it always seems to wear off. Anyone else have this problem? Why does this happen? Do I need a different type of leathers or is it because I don't clean my boots enough and the sweat eats it away?

Default leathers

I have been thru 2 pr o the stitched Pessoa leathers in 4 yrs. Not only did my boots (1/2 chaps) rub and uncurl the leathers, I was out for a gallop and the hinge on the left one blew apart and the iron came off. I clean my tack a lot so that is not to blame. Dover replaces them everytime. I do not know what the "life" of a leather should be.

The same thing happened to my pessoa non-stretch leathers. I clean them eveyday as well. I think the problem is simply this: the leather is to soft to stand up well in that area.

Nice to hear that dover replaced your's. Is there a time frame that you know of?

The ones they just replaced were 06's

I have had the M. Toulouse (sp?) and Beval ones with the nylon center, both have worn out where the leather wraps around the calf in less than two years.

I have the Antares calf skin with the nylon cores. I've had them for four years and they are just starting to show a bit of wear. I ride a lot of horses in this saddle; they're just straight up high quality.

I have an ancient pair of leathers that were USED when they came to me. I think they might be Courbette. They have been the lone pair of stirrup leathers I have ever owned. Had them for about 10 years, figure they had at least a year+ of use on them before I got em. Definitely broken in. Planning to get a new pair of leathers to match my shiny new saddle arriving soon, but not because they're worn out. I'll just use these on a different saddle!

I've had my stirrup leathers for probably 5 or more years. They are Bates, with soft leather (possibly calfskin?) with the nylon centre, so they don't stretch. I really don't like Bates saddles, but the stirrup leathers are fantastic! They haven't worn out at all. And they come in a few different colours that match my saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by A Jillity Farm View Post
    I have been thru 2 pr o the stitched Pessoa leathers in 4 yrs. Not only did my boots (1/2 chaps) rub and uncurl the leathers, I was out for a gallop and the hinge on the left one blew apart and the iron came off. I clean my tack a lot so that is not to blame. Dover replaces them everytime. I do not know what the "life" of a leather should be.
    I could see thinking that the first pair was a fluke, but I'd sure as heck not be going with a 3rd pair after those 2 issues!

I've had my KL Select, 3/4" 1/2 hole leathers for 7-8 years I think. There is no curling (half chaps for schooling), no stitching coming undone, no leather rubbing thin, just...nothing. I can't tell you how much they have stretched, overall, but I can say I don't rotate them regularly, maybe a couple times a year if that, and they are less than half of a half hole different in length.

I still ride in the same leathers that I had when I bought my first saddle about 10 years ago. They were the least expensive nylon lined ones that I could find at the time. I ride quite often usually about 5 horses per day in the summer and at least 2 per day in the winter. Although the numbers have been quite a bit less since I started college 4 years ago, the leathers are still in excellent condition. Multiple people at the facilities I have been at have bought similarly cheap leathers as well and I know most of them don't buy leathers more often than once a year or once every two years. I have found when it comes to leathers to just buy the cheap ones because they all last about the same amount of time. I don't know though, I may be easy on leathers.

Having watched riders around me shell out big bucks for trendy nylon-lined "no-stretch" leathers only to have to replace them a couple of times before my good old-fashioned Crosby leathers ever wore out, I've concluded that it's just not worth it to pay more for highly processed (layered and stitched) stirrup leathers. A little stretch is natural for leather, and the stretch can be minimized with proper care (not over-oiling the leathers). I think the stitched, layered-with-nylon leathers appear to wear out sooner because the stitching compromises their structure, the leather is in two thinner layers instead of one solid piece, and the manufacturers overoil and process those leathers to "pre-stretch" the leather and make them attractively soft and pliable for riders who don't want to have to spend an extra moment working the leather around the stirrup bar. Just like with tall boots and Butet saddles' calfskin seats, durability suffers when leather is manufactured to be pre-softened to require no break-in period. I've never understood why riders fear a little stretching in their leathers, anyway, since it's not difficult to simply raise them a notch when needed.

My CWD nylon lined calfskin leathers are now 4 years old (or is it 5?), haven't stretched at all, I'm still riding on the same holes as when I first bought the saddle, and they are holding up beautifully, no signs of wear at all. They seem as though they will last forever but if not, I will only replace them with another pair of CWD.
    No matter how often I alternated my regular leathers from side to side, they always stretched unevenly, even my very expensive Hadfields leathers. I love that now my stirrups are always even, something that never happened with regular leathers. And I disagree that with proper oiling, stretching can be kept to a minimum. Even if they don't stretch a huge amount, they always stretch unevenly, even the half hole leathers.

IMO they are well worth the price. At the time they were about the same cost as my Hadfields but have turned out to be a much better product/investment.

Quote Originally Posted by broughton_sporthorses View Post
    I've had my stirrup leathers for probably 5 or more years. They are Bates, with soft leather (possibly calfskin?) with the nylon centre, so they don't stretch. I really don't like Bates saddles, but the stirrup leathers are fantastic! They haven't worn out at all. And they come in a few different colours that match my saddles.
    I've had my no-stretch Bates leathers for 6-7 years and they are as good as when I first bought them - no wearing, no stretching, I love them!

Huh. I had a pair of cheap ones wear through in a few months (really they just broke).

My crosby leathers are still perfect since 2001, and my Vega leathers were in perfect condition when I sold my saddle after 2 years. My Antares leathers are only a few months old, but still perfect also.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I agree with Dixon.

I have purchased 3 pairs of leathers in the past 25 years. The first were nylon centered, which I switched out for single layer "Harvey" buckle stamped made in England leather (don't remember which brand, may have been Blue Ribbon). I just now replaced those with the Dover's Oakbark leathers. They were just showing wear, but not unsafe by all means.
    I don't like the nylon centered for the reasons of them being too thick and the stitching wearing. I have not tried calfskin leathers, but since calfskin is thin, I'd worry about rubbing them to separation.
    My leathers never stretch that badly, but maybe that is because I don't weigh all that much.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I agree with Dixon, also. Have a pair of Crosby leathers on my PJ that are probably 8 years old. I ride 7-8 horses a week in this saddle - not a lot, but these leathers are still in fantastic shape, including the stitching around the buckle. These leathers haven't stretched at all. They are "plain Janes," nothing fancy, no stitching, nylon, nothing. I probably oil them once or twice a year. The only care they get is me cleaning them at the end of the day with a little glycerin or a damp sponge.

mm I just last yr replaced my leathers that I bought in mmm 80ish.. The only reason they got replaced is because once again ( for the 3rd or 4th time) the stitching came loose and with the cobler in my area it was cheaper to replace them over getting them restitched. Weird I know but the guy is a fruit loop so who knows how he came up with the quote he gave me... Think I paid something like 20$ when I bought them they were not the expensive ones then either..
    Friend of bar .ka