The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Girths and girth sleeves/covers

Just recently got a monoflap jump saddle, so am shopping for a new girth as well. Any suggestions on favorite / most comfortable girths? I'm still not sure what material has the best properties for a girth...neoprine? thinline? plain leather?

Also, I do any of you use girth covers? Are you using it to protect the girth? or to make the horse more comfortable?

I use the prestige short girth. With Mr. sensitive skin TB I use a fleece girth cover over it (you can find them for short girths, but it can be hard). I also have a Lettia coolmax short girth that I use for everyday riding.

I have a collection of girths that I don't use any more. I found the Soft Touch girths a few years ago and love them. I don't know if they make them for a monoflap, but you might want to check.
    Nearly everyone I know who has seen mine has changed to one (except my hunter friends who are leather girth fanatics) .....I needed to be selling them on commission!!

Quote Originally Posted by luise View Post
    I use the prestige short girth. With Mr. sensitive skin TB I use a fleece girth cover over it (you can find them for short girths, but it can be hard). I also have a Lettia coolmax short girth that I use for everyday riding.
    I have two fleece covers for my dressage girth - had'em for years. I think that I could have ordered from dressage extensions....check their site.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Thanks for the suggestions. For those that use the fleece covers, how often do you wash them?

I think the soft touch girth is neoprine...do you notice it causing wrinkles when bent? From the description given in websites, seems like a comfortable girth...but not sure if neoprine is flexible enough to keep from wrinkling when bent around the horse's girth area. Anyone with sensitive-skinned horses use these?

Also, what about the thinline girths? Seems like it's a neoprine-like material, but with better qualities? Anyone use these? How do you like them compared to other girths?

I don't have to wash the fleece covers that often--just run a soft brush over it before using. Maybe every couple of months? Seriously. I have a soft touch girth but have never used it because it is too big.

I throw mine into the wash at least once/week with the pads; wash with baby detergent and they just fluff right back up. This time of year so much sweat builds up that just air drying and brushing doesn't work too well for my ponies - its fine though in cooler temps.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieEventer View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. For those that use the fleece covers, how often do you wash them?

I think the soft touch girth is neoprine...do you notice it causing wrinkles when bent? From the description given in websites, seems like a comfortable girth...but not sure if neoprine is flexible enough to keep from wrinkling when bent around the horse's girth area. Anyone with sensitive-skinned horses use these?

Also, what about the thinline girths? Seems like it's a neoprine-like material, but with better qualities? Anyone use these? How do you like them compared to other girths?
    The soft touch does wrinkle but it is so soft that it doesn't grab the horse's skin. I have used it on several very sensitive horses, wash it often and after years it still looks like new.

Default Brown short girths?

Are the Soft Touch short girths available in brown? Can anyone recommend a couple of sources for a nice quality one? Thanks. Does BoB do one in brown?

I use a girth cover -- actually, it's a cheapie, it's called the "amazing girth sock" or something like that. I got it from State Line and I REALLY like it as does my horse.