The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dead Lame - Ideas - Help!

My OTTB has turned up dead lame this morning on his front left. We have noticed him being a tad gimpy the last few weeks after he got a trim. During his annual shots a couple weeks ago, had the vet look at him and he applied hoof testers - nothing.

A week later, took to another vet for the dew poisoning - Gelding was not really lame - but told vet of the somewhat lameness in the front left - again, hoof testers - nothing

He seemed to be getting better, lameness wise. While doctoring for the scratches, he was on an antibotic.

I might also mention that he seemed to walk better on the grass compared to a small rocky area - very touchy on that area - where we medicate him for the scratches. FYI - triming was now done 3 weeks ago.

This morning, dead lame - doesn't want to put any weight on it really. Just the left front. Can't get to vet until Monday and no one is on call. DH soaked this morning with epsom salt. We also checked early for heat, swelling - nothing. DH also did a tad bit "knocking" with a small hammer on the hoof to see if any reaction - nothing (this was per the vet tech to do).

Any ideas? Don't see any heat, nothing to look like a possible abscess. We do not overgrain, nor do we have lush pastures. Any ideas?????

Thanks in advance! I'm so worried about him.

Digital pulses up?

It still could be an abscess, and most likely is. It could be high enough that it's nonresponsive on hoof testers. I recently saw one pop out near the coronary band. Keep doing the epsom salts, icthammol, and your vet should be able to come out and possibly see something by then on Monday.

It has been my experience that the vast majority of times there are only two things that will cause extreme lameness with acute onset. That being fractures and abcesses. Fractures are usually relatively obvious as there is some heat and swelling to alert you. In the absense of heat and swelling you have to think abcess. Keep soaking and packing, hopefully it will resolve as quickly as it started.

I would keep him confined until you can get a vet out. And while an abscess can't be ruled out, there's a lot of things it could be, including a coffin bone fracture. A thorough lameness exam is a must at this point.

FWIW, you might also want to consider getting a new vet if there is no coverage on weekends. That would worry me more than anything.

Have you looked very carefully at bottom of foot, in good light, to see if anything has gotten stuck in the grooves of the frog? Something there could be very hard to find.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

We have looked before and after the soaking - we just dont see anything. Like I said, no heat, no swelling, nothing - but he just doesn't want to put any weight on that foot. There is no swelling or heat in the leg either.

My vet is usually on call on the weekends - but for some STUPID reason, he is not this weekend. The other decent vets are 60 miles away!

I am HOPING an abcess. We have called our farrier over to see if he can see anything. He helped with an abcess before years and years ago.

What type of antibiotic & what dose was given ? & is there any possibility I could see the trim performed on the hoof, sole - side-front shots, deep abscess seems to be the most likely. But you need to rule out the other possibility's , just to be sure you haven't mist some other cause, some deep abscess can linger for weeks even months settling down then flaring up again till they finally capsulate make there way & burst out & drain , abscess in the hoof capsule are not something you want to go on for along time, it can lead to de- mineralising of the pedal bone.

This might be odd but check that shoulder too. Twice that I can remember a sudden onset lameness was due to a shoulder injury. Not very common, just a thought to feel around in that area to see if there's any flinching.
    But I would think abcess too, they can be lame on and off because those little pockets of pus move around sometimes.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I have had lots of abcesses over the years that shwoed NO tenderness to hammering, hoof testers etc, so that really does not mean much if he doesn't react. I too think abcess, minor soreness after trimming could have been a bruise that then turned to an abcess, quite common. The bad thing is often abcesses that present the way yours did with no reaction to hoof testers, is so deep that it comes out the coronary band and those can take a good bit of time to work out and get better. Had one this past winter that basically was a couple month process!

Farrier is coming out this morning to just take a look. We looked long and hard last night and I just don't see anything in that hoof area, so I am thinking deep abcess if that is what it is.

Tocuprim was the name of the antibotic that was given to him for the "scratches". He was on it for 7 days - hummm.....he was better during that seven days also - probably attributed to the tocuprim????

I had an abcessed tooth once and couldn't get in for a root canal before we went on vacation - I took heavy doses of antibotic (per dentist instructions) and guess what? Abcess disappeared for about 4 weeks (so I thought - I wasn't in pain). Came back with a vengence and root cancel here I come.

The horse had been off the antibotic for about 3-4 days when this happened.
    Correlation possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by gooselover View Post
    Farrier is coming out this morning to just take a look. We looked long and hard last night and I just don't see anything in that hoof area, so I am thinking deep abcess if that is what it is.

Tocuprim was the name of the antibotic that was given to him for the "scratches". He was on it for 7 days - hummm.....he was better during that seven days also - probably attributed to the tocuprim????

I had an abcessed tooth once and couldn't get in for a root canal before we went on vacation - I took heavy doses of antibotic (per dentist instructions) and guess what? Abcess disappeared for about 4 weeks (so I thought - I wasn't in pain). Came back with a vengence and root cancel here I come.

The horse had been off the antibotic for about 3-4 days when this happened.
    Correlation possibly?
    Antibotics can prolong an abcess, so not recommended unless the abcess is so bad it is beginning to get into the bones of the foot, and then must use a lot of antibiotics for a LONG time. This could have delayed the abcess forming causing it to go deeper than normal.

I'm thinking from the description either an abscess or small fracture or he's been pricked with a nail? Is he shod??

Get him hot tubbed to soak and keep him inside on a deep dry clean bed.

It always amazes me that you guys can't get vets out. Here they've a legal obligation to provide 24/7 emergency cover.

Have a vet do a lameness workup....
    Nerve block
    X-ray
    Flexion test
    etc...

Is the shoe still on? Could there be a close/hot nail?

An abbess is certainly a possibility....
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    I have had lots of abcesses over the years that shwoed NO tenderness to hammering, hoof testers etc, so that really does not mean much if he doesn't react. I too think abcess, minor soreness after trimming could have been a bruise that then turned to an abcess, quite common. The bad thing is often abcesses that present the way yours did with no reaction to hoof testers, is so deep that it comes out the coronary band and those can take a good bit of time to work out and get better. Had one this past winter that basically was a couple month process!
    Yep - had this same experience!!

Most of the time I've had abcesses, they don't have a reaction to hoof testers. Most of the time there's heat in the coronary, but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    It always amazes me that you guys can't get vets out. Here they've a legal obligation to provide 24/7 emergency cover.
    You don't have the huge distances for the vet to cover as we do here. There are certain medications that it is essential to keep on hand and use, otherwise your horse could die before the vet can get to you. That would be illegal where you are, but a lifesaver here. It is common to have to wait several hours until the vet can get here. A lot of the time the vet will give instruction over the phone for use of medications etc, and we will not need them to attend at all. It is common to have to administer injections in order to prevent further damage. Even vets deserve time off, they can't go 24 hrs a day !

I just had a similar lameness. Suddenly dead lame with all the lack of symptoms you have. I removed the shoe, soaked the foot and packed it with Forschners, wrapped it and turned the horse out to prevent any stocking up. We resoaked, repacked and rewrapped every two days. That sucker took two weeks to come out through the middle of the sole - but as soon as the abcess resolved all was good.