The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

probono Guest

Default Itchy Tail HELP!!

A horse I am leasing this summer seems to have a bad problem with itching his tail. It seems to get better when I wash his tail but a few days later it is back to the same itching. We have tried mtg as well and it just doesnt do the trick. I am to the point of trying anything. Any ideas?

Some people have luck with regular Listerine. Someone mentioned panalog ointment, too. Have you washed under his tail and around the sheath area and/or checked for ticks ?

Maybe it's sweet-itch? http://www.horsetrust.org.uk/pdfs/ho.../sweetitch.pdf

Maybe it's parasites?

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

First, thoroughly clean his sheath. Geldings can't say "my who-ha is seriously filthy", so they rub their tails. Same message.

Then, buy yourself some terrific shampoo. There are a number of things out there that guarantee results- and some of them really work. Anything with tea tree oil is a great start.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Smile itchy itch

equus microtek shampoo and spray work wonders, also if you can get a leave in conditioner with hydrocortizone it, you may stop the itch faster

Perhaps he needs to be wormed??
    Snowline Sport Horses
    http://www.snowlinesporthorses.com
    Breeder of Hanoverian horses
    http://www.facebook.com/SnowlineSportHorses

Quote Originally Posted by CB/TB View Post
    Some people have luck with regular Listerine. Someone mentioned panalog ointment, too. Have you washed under his tail and around the sheath area and/or checked for ticks ?
    I have also heard that listerine works!
    "Put forth your best, and you've already won."

double check if he needs to be wormed or getting his sheath cleaned...if not. Tea tree oil is the best stuff Ive found for itchy tails! You can find it just about anywhere now, if not, look in a health food store. You dont need much and lasts for quite a while.
    "A horse is an Angel without wings"

Exclamation listerine , plus good hygiene

I second Listrine, check carefully for ticks, dirty rectum/ sheathrr
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Default Listerine on raw skin? Ow!

Of course, if he's not rubbing it raw, give it a go!

Listerine worked like a charm on my boy!
    ----------
    www.railtonphotography.com
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears" ~ Arabian Proverb

heidijanz Guest

Default itchy tail

Ordinary white vinegar, applied with a sponge, then brushed through the hair and rubbed into the skin, works very well on tails and manes.

Default my mare was itching the lower part of her tail bone.

(not near the dock but down low). it was ticks. i spent going through the hair, found a lot of those scabs that ticks leave behind, one tick, and a lot more big dry flakes of skin that were attached to the hair. i washed with iodine shampoo and then applied creamy or oily types of products. first it was some lanolin based cream i had, and then later i poured calm coat all over that area. that took care of the problem. i'm diligent now checking that area after trail rides and also spraying the tail thoroughly w/ fly spray to prevent or minimize the amount of ticks that attach.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Also any shampoo with Tea Tree Oil I have found really helps soothe itchy tails/skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Canopach01 View Post
    equus microtek shampoo and spray work wonders, also if you can get a leave in conditioner with hydrocortizone it, you may stop the itch faster
    I have used the microtek and also hibitane. I have also just washed with Betadine and that helps. This is timely as my horse was shipped to an event farm last night for a school and when I arrived after work he had a massive bald spot!!! How embarrasing!! I kept trying to give him a comb-over so it would not be noticed!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by probono View Post
    A horse I am leasing this summer seems to have a bad problem with itching his tail. It seems to get better when I wash his tail but a few days later it is back to the same itching. We have tried mtg as well and it just doesnt do the trick. I am to the point of trying anything. Any ideas?
    Dirty sheath? Ticks? Pinworms? Dandruff? Lice?
    ~He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom~
    -James Huneker

I have a gelding who is a DEDICATED tail rubber. He is de-wormed regularly, his sheath is clean, etc., but his butt is always near a wall.

I have found that the combination of washing with Tea Tree Oil shampoo & a product called Tail Therapy is the key to a non-itchy heiny for him!

Try using Gold Bond powder, it's great for the "tail itchies".

I would check to see if he has some dandruff, needs to be wormed, or if his sheath needs to be cleaned. I used to look after a mare that would rub her tail raw in the summer. She had a fungus condition and her once beautiful, thick, black tail turned into a little nub. I would scrub her tail with Microtek shampoo, put Cowboy Magic conditioner in, and then braid her tail into a tail bag. It helped a lot and her tail began to grow back.