The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LMF Feed

Does anyone feed LMF? What have you noticed about it in comparison to other feeds? It's not immediately available in my area, so I'd like to get the scoop on it before I make the drive.

Thanks very much!

I use LMF Low Carb Stage 1 for a horse that is ulcer prone. The farm uses Senior as well. I've been in a barn that used LMF TACO (horses got fat and wild on that one). I've known people who use LMF Showtime.

It's made in Idaho and they only use grains grown in North America. The formulations seem stable, they don't list a lot of "products" - meaning using a generic name so when something is cheaper they change to the cheaper ingredient, such as "grain products" - that could be anything classified as grain.

The horses eat it with gusto. Even the Low Carb Stage 1 gets hoovered up and that has no molasses and no grain in it at all.

I have been buying LMF feed for about a year and have been very happy with the quality and consistency. I mostly buy LMF Senior and LMF Low NSC Complete.

However....I had a nutritional consult with Dr. Eleanor Kellon recently (the Equine Cushings/IR guru), and she warned me against LMF, saying they had a history of "fungal mold contamination" and that could be contributing to my IR pony's slightly off liver function. I have never been able to verify this. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows more.

I love LMF feeds! My QH mare was doing awful on Purina Equine Senior (16 lbs/day and she was skeletal plus colicking on a regular basis). Switched her to LMF Prime Time and she started gaining weight within two weeks. And, she was only getting 8-10 lbs of the LMF. She maintained her weight fairly well until she died last year. I never had any issues with mold or bad feed. My other horses don't get much grain so I just keep some whole oats around now. Much cheaper!
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Amchara - I have Bella on LMF Super Supplement for Grass and love it. She looks wonderful and her recent blood work showed she was healthy. Where in WW are you? Depending on location, I know of a couple places that carry the LMF feeds.
    RIP Disco (6/8/2000 - 4/1/2008)

Thumbs up Works for me!

I've used LMF gold in the past, as well as gentle balance, and low-carb stage 1.

Right now the horses i have are on super supplement, their ration balancer. They are doing really well on it and looking good!

I did hear a nutritionist say that they thought the feeds had too much iron in them, but i never actually checked, so that could be compelte hogwash.

I like that LMF is made for this area of the nation- and so far so good.

One note, though...for folks who may not have noticed...i've been to 2 feedstores in WW (the grange in Issaquah and Monroe farm & feed) and was surprised to see them now carrying Triple Crown! Dont know if i'll try it because LMF is working... but thought that was neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    However....I had a nutritional consult with Dr. Eleanor Kellon recently (the Equine Cushings/IR guru), and she warned me against LMF, saying they had a history of "fungal mold contamination" and that could be contributing to my IR pony's slightly off liver function.
    http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/AHID/comme...eed_test.shtml

This is pure slander. Asplin Finch makes LMF. Violations of feed law are public record. There is no record of violations of fungal mold contamination at Asplin Finch in the state of OR. Check for yourself. You can contact other state feed regulators who do not have violations online and ask them.

Yes, IR can be caused by liver malfunction, and mold toxins can cause liver malfunction, but no researcher at a conference on EMS has ever suggested mold is causative of IR.

I've fed LMF for more than 2 years to 2 different mares. Great results. Things I like:
    1. Stable, known, quality ingredients. No hay, leftovers or whatever that aren't listed.

2. Vitamins and minerals are balanced to each other, and to hay that's generally available in the area, plus Yea-Sacc. Saves me money by not having to add supplements.

3. Knowledgeable personnel. I've had questions, called the rep, and gotten suggestions and answers. Had a follow-up question that the rep couldn't answer, and he put me in touch with Dr. Duren, the guy who actually knows.

Products I'm most familiar with are Gentle Balance and LMF Gold. My trainer's barn feeds only LMF products and all the horses look great, and are healthy.

I suppose other feeds are cheaper, but I've figured that I'm money ahead when I eliminate the supplements and pro-biotics that I used to feed.

I'm on Vashon. I'd either go get it myself or friends who lesson here could keep me in supply. I currently have my mare on safechoice and I) She is crawling out of her skin, and II) I can't use it to keep weight on her. My friends recommended LMF Showtime, which is what they use.

How much is it a bag? I'll have to look in to triple crown being available locally too! Wow!

The Triple Crown rep showed up at the farm the other day. I'm happy with the LMF Low Carb for my horse and Triple Crown Safe Starch has orchard and timothy hay which he is allergic to, and the Low Starch has Brewer's grains and that could be corn and he is allergic to corn as well. So I'm going to keep using LMF Low Carb.

Triple Crown feeds look great and I know many people on this board love them and won't feed anything else.

Thank you Katy Watts.

I feed LMF showtime and beetpulp to my young horse. He is doing great on it. I just paid $19/ 50#.
    I also feed the ration balancer to two others in light work. I like the LMF products, the horses do too.

lazytsha Guest

I feed LMF and have for nearly 10 years. It is the one feed that takes into consideration the forage you feed your horse or horses and modifies it's content thusly.
    My cow horses/cutters have stamina, great coats, and very healthy throughout the long show season. In the winter months they maintain there weight very well.. My weanlings and yearlings certainly show the effects well having won halter championships which isn't bad for horses bred and raised as working cow horses not halter horses..

I used to feed LMF but stopped a couple of months ago when I learned the ingredients they use are not consistent from batch to batch. In other words, they use what ever grain filler happens to be least expensive at the time of production. I'm very careful about my horse's nutrition and just wasn't comfortable knowing the ingredients would not be consistent with each new bag.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

We fed LMF TACO for several years until we started having moldy feed. It was an on going problem with no resolution. Our LMF was made in Utah.

Maybe it is better now.

I use LMF senior for the old guys. I like that the lines meant to be fed with hay have versions balanced for either an alfalfa or a grass hay diet, but the LMF senior is a complete feed.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I used to feed LMF but stopped a couple of months ago when I learned the ingredients they use are not consistent from batch to batch. In other words, they use what ever grain filler happens to be least expensive at the time of production. I'm very careful about my horse's nutrition and just wasn't comfortable knowing the ingredients would not be consistent with each new bag.
    I'm wondering about the source of this information. Did it come from an independent, credible source? Or from a competitor?

Quote Originally Posted by tuppysmom View Post
    We fed LMF TACO for several years until we started having moldy feed. It was an on going problem with no resolution. Our LMF was made in Utah.

Maybe it is better now.
    A couple of months ago I opened a bag of LMF Gentle Balance and thought it smelled a little "off." I called the dealer, and he said to bring it back. It was swapped out for a new bag without question. That's the only problem I've had with LMF.

I LOFF LMF!!! but some horses don't love it. So I switch to Race Ready. It is good shcrap!!

Many of our showbarn clients use it-the others mostly use Omolene or Triple Crown products.

The horses seem to do well on it, shiny and happy, when fed properly they grow well (no growth related problems unless overfed etc)

I personally don't use it because I have been feeding omolene products for years and haven't felt the need to switch, but for some reason if i needed to I would certainly consider LMF.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.