The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Biothane- if you could talk to the mfg, what would you say?

So many of us love the stuff. If you had the chance to tour the factory or talk to the company, what would you ask them? What would you tell them?
    Me? I would ask when they were going to have new colors out!
    You?

Please, dear God, make a standard English Bridle WITH the quick-change bit & rein snaps. I don't want a halter/bridle combo. I don't want a bridle with no cavesson. It's not hard to do!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Please, dear God, make a standard English Bridle WITH the quick-change bit & rein snaps. I don't want a halter/bridle combo. I don't want a bridle with no cavesson. It's not hard to do!
    I second that! I think a lot of companies that make biothane tack assume that anyone using it must either want strictly western-style tack, or a clunky halter-bridle combo with snaps and buckles all over the place.

I'd kind of like to see options for longer reins, whether they are split reins or English type. The red TWH I'm riding right now is a big guy with a long neck, and when we stop to water in a stream I sometimes have to give him almost all of the rein just to reach the water.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    You could add your own quick-change snaps!

True but that doesn't fit the scenario as posted by the OP
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I truly do not mind extra comments regarding Biothane, that's for sure!

But I think one thing many do not know is that the company that actually MAKES Biothane does not manufacture tack. Just Biothane, in rolls and rolls and rolls.

It is other companies that buy in the product and make tack. Many smaller, custom manaufacturers from what I have seen.

I am not sure if they can improve on the product, except for I would really like to see some more colors come out.

Although, it sounds like they have a new rein product that offers quite a bit more stick than the rubber bumpy product does.

One of the few negatives I have heard about the product is that it does not break easy. On the one hand, we do not want our tack to break and surprise us, but we want our tack to break in certain emergencies.

Just curious...

On emergencies and breaking -

I would think you could add buckle-in leather safety fuses at the center point of the reins where the buckle would be on leather reins. That's a point that is not normally under pressure unless you are tangled in the reins in a crash, and if it broke there you can still ride; just now you have split reins. Carrying a spare fuse would be easy. But I suppose that is a tack company thing not a manufacturer of biothane thing.

Yes I'd like to see some more colors. The Biothane I have has lasted a long time. The dimpled rubber on the reins has worn through, but the biothane is still good.

certain colors seem to fade faster. Also the clear over lay seems to yellow and age where as the deeper color holds. Especial near buckles where it gets some stress.

my biothane spur straps lasted about as long as me leather ones did- 12 months and they were torn through the holes I use and no longer useable- wasn't worth the nearly double the price of leather spur straps.

I hve seen english bridles made from the stuff, but they always look a little thick and clunky. I guess I wish biothane was NOT a bonded/laminated product ( because the spur straps separated into llayers before the holes tore through) and was stronger and thinner- my biothane reins are way thicker than my leather ones and a little uncomfortable. Is that asking too much?
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Anyone know where I can purchase rolls of biothane?

You can get english bridles, western bridles, bridles that clip to rope halters, anything your heart desires from Amanda Taylor, Taylored Tack. http://tayloredtack.com/ She may not have everything listed on her website but she will make it for you, custom fit, lovely work. Uses stainless steel hardware too.

Bonnie S.

I'm actually looking for rolls of unused biothane - not tack.

www.bioplastics.us

Start there!