The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shagya to compete in Old Dominion

Lily Creek Stetson, a purebred Shagya, will attempt his first 50 mile on Saturday, as
    part of the Old Dominion endurance event. Stetson lives at Buckland farm, Warrenton, Va. and has been in training during the past year.

He has made a lot of friends during this time, mainly due to his friendly and outgoing personality. This will be his third AERC ride, finishing in the top ten at a March ride.
    Stetson is now a gelding, but has semen stored at a clinic in Amissville.

More and more Shagya bred horses are competing in endurance, as many show the same attitude and aptitude of HUNGARES, the winner of the 2006 WEG 100 mile
    endurance race.

They show a lot of bone and substance, but their calm, steady temperament is what is really appreciated, as it is a trait inherent in the breed.

Default Stetson

We're rootin' for ya Stetson and Brian....
    Shagyas West sons, daughters and grandaughters...
    GO DAD GO

Absolute best of luck guys!! If only we could clone the Shagya I ride for my friend. We would make millions. Very cool horses.

Actually, they are already clones--well most of them if you understand the family lines.
    Because this breed is 100% Arabian-- since it's beginning 200 years ago, and because
    the Hungarian stud masters had the knowledge, they bred a super Arabian with all of what they considered "undesirables" bred out and reinforced all of the positives.

With each stallion line they derived something they liked. This is why the BAJAR line is noted for it's tough competitive spirt and a good example is *OMAN who competed in the TEVIS race and passed the 100 day ISR stallion test against warmbloods.

STETSON is from the SHAGYA line, descending from the original desert Arabian stallion, SHAGYA. They are noted for wonderful gaits, and good minds. Other lines are potent for other traits. I swear their brains has been re-wired and this is something that seems to always happen when you breed a mare to a Shagya stallion.
    The resulting foal gets this brain and with it the pluses in all the right places.

They also did quite a bit of line breeding to set all the positives and this is why they
    are all similar. Everyone who owns a Shagya thinks theirs is unique, but i can tell you that almost ALL if them are wonderful, marvelous, fantastic horses. There just are not enough of them and we need more breeders.

Find out more about the breed at www.shagyaregistry.com

How did Lily Creek Stetson do at the OD?

STETSON was up and ready for this ride, but unfortunately his rider woke up at 4 a.m. with a muscle spasm in his lower back! He was not able to find a rider and everyone
    was extremely disappointed.
    STETSON is still in training, owner is now riding and he did several miles yesterday and
    is entered in ALL the east coasts rides within a reasonable distance of Warrenton. If there are any other endurance riders who would like to gather and combine training rides, get in touch with his owner, brian.coss@yahoo.com. He is stationed at Buckland Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by LCR View Post
    Actually, they are already clones--well most of them if you understand the family lines.
    Because this breed is 100% Arabian-- since it's beginning 200 years ago, and because
    the Hungarian stud masters had the knowledge, they bred a super Arabian with all of what they considered "undesirables" bred out and reinforced all of the positives.

www.shagyaregistry.com

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this breed supposed to be an improvement and contained outcrossing and is not considered Asil...

which isn't saying much for discounting it as a legit breed or 'none' arab considering what the AHA will accept as "Arabian" these days.

Thumbs up long time interest

I have been interested in the Shagya since my time in Austria, when, I either saw a picture of or, met one in person
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans