The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting a permanent card for a large large - tips please?

My large pony hunter needs a permanent card, but he is on the big side! He measured maximum size two years ago as a 7yo 3/4 arabian, and since then has muscled up considerably, and I'm worried he'll measure over. Any tips for making him small?
    So far I have: Trim his hooves (though not to the point of cruelty), shave his wither, and will definitely have to lunge him before measuring.

Just curious why you didn't get him measured at 14.2 two years ago when he was 7? Some stewards will let you stretch their neck down with a carrot or peppermint, I'd think since he's got 3/4 arabian in him that might help as they are super flexy with their neck, might help. Everything else you mentioned is good, just be careful not to trim feet too short!

Ok. You are correct with the hoof trimming. BUT also work him very good. Ride him. Work him. get him soo tired. DO NOT clean him up or allow him to rest too much before you go to get measured. just spend alot of time working him , rinse him off and dry. then go directly to the steward to get measured. he should make it . OH work with him at home about stretching his neck down and out . get a carrot and work those muscles ...
    "YOU create your own stage. The audience is waiting."

Practice with a measuring stick. A lot.

Many horses tense up when they see the stick, which will make them bigger at exactly the wrong time. Practice the whole process until the pony is completely relaxed about it.

Good luck.

Definitely practice a lot at home first. It is my understanding that they are allowed to have their neck level when being measured, no lower than that. Teaching him to bring his head down to that point with a carrot as previously mentioned is a good idea. Also I do not believe that they have to stand perfectly square so when practicing at home work on getting him to stand with his legs a little staggered.

I had a pony that could range in height from 14.2 to close to 14.3 depending on how he was standing. Good luck with the measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetiger View Post
    Just curious why you didn't get him measured at 14.2 two years ago when he was 7? Some stewards will let you stretch their neck down with a carrot or peppermint, I'd think since he's got 3/4 arabian in him that might help as they are super flexy with their neck, might help. Everything else you mentioned is good, just be careful not to trim feet too short!

Because I am a fool! Seriously, I wish I had back then... but c'est la vie...

anyway, thanks for the replies everyone Another thought I had would be not to have him in 'full work' when he gets measured, like turn him out for a bit so he's not super fit & sprightly?

Ride him for a while before getting him measured. I had a very fancy medium division pony who measured a considerable amount over 13.2 hands. I made sure I picked a day when the weather was supposed to be hot, and I rode him for a while in the morning. Just a lot of trotting to relax all those muscles, and I also did a magnetic blanket. It may sound extreme, but I needed this pony measured as a medium. He was barefoot as well, with as much foot off as possible without making him sore. The steward allowed me to stretch his neck out, but regulated how long and low it got. Long story short, I did get the pony carded at 13.2 on the dot.

I know hindsight is 20/20, and I think you do too now.

Quote Originally Posted by drawreins View Post
    Ride him for a while before getting him measured. I had a very fancy medium division pony who measured a considerable amount over 13.2 hands. I made sure I picked a day when the weather was supposed to be hot, and I rode him for a while in the morning. Just a lot of trotting to relax all those muscles, and I also did a magnetic blanket. It may sound extreme, but I needed this pony measured as a medium. He was barefoot as well, with as much foot off as possible without making him sore. The steward allowed me to stretch his neck out, but regulated how long and low it got. Long story short, I did get the pony carded at 13.2 on the dot.

I know hindsight is 20/20, and I think you do too now.
    Cheating sets such a good example for the children...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Don't see any cheating going on in that post?

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyAgain View Post
    Don't see any cheating going on in that post?
    Did you read the post? Especially this part;"I had a very fancy medium division pony who measured a considerable amount over 13.2 hands."
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

I think plenty of ponies are "over", but when prepped legally, are not. That is how it's done.

I know my daughter leased a pony that was supposedly 14.1 7/8 and when standing in the hack line-ups, her pony was BY FAR the smallest one out there most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Cheating sets such a good example for the children...
    Are you serious??? Doesn't sound like cheating to me either.

if your offended by this "cheating", get out of hunter world now! hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    if your offended by this "cheating", get out of hunter world now! hahahaha
    If you're if your offended by this "cheating", get out of hunter world now! hahahaha.

Proofread, proofread, proofread. That is, if you expect to be taken seriously.
    madeline

Either they will measure or they won't. We haven't mentioned the things that others might do to get under the magic number. Just because someone is doing it, doesn't make it right.

Thanks for the replies guys. Obviously he'll go under, or he won't, and if he does measure a pony then that's great, but if he doesn't then I can live with that too - I'll just show him as a (very) small horse. I'm definitely not going to put his health/etc at stake just to make him small, but obviously there are measures you can take in preparation for measuring e.g. making sure their shoes aren't 6 weeks old.

Thanks again

I just got my daughter's pony measured at a horse show over the weekend. We had practiced with the stick at home just so she wouldn't freak out. She showed in the first division which took forever and then ended up standing around all day and it was really hot. I didn't think she would be a hard measure but at home she was a solid 14.1 1/2. By the time we collected the steward and the vet at the show, she was so quiet and tired she ended up being barely 14.0 1/2 which is actually a little short. Oh well.

are you saying he was measured AND carded 2 yrs ago? if so, dont worry. the minimum age for a perm. card is 6, i believe.

ETA: just read your other post, and you didnt get him carded. oh well. find a hot day, work him a lot that morning to relax his muscles. make sure you trim down the hair at the withers, even (yes!) and take off shoes IF th pony can be sound without them. practice the measuring stick at home so the pony will not tense up when being measured officially.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

In no way was I cheating. When the pony was taken out of his stall and measured without any prep work, he was over 13.2 hands. With the right amount of work and preperation, we did get him measured at 13.2 hands. I was not cheating or doing anything illegal in any way. There are a good amount of ponies out there that will measure over if simply taken out of a stall and measured.

Easy there, drawreins - think only one poster had an issue - the rest of us were good with your post!