The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Wrist loops" on crops- I hate them... but why?

I finally cracked down on my students using wrist loops on their crops. I hate them- but I'm not sure why.

Seems like a safety issue.

Your thoughts?

I hate them as well. It's more an annoyance in my opinion, but I remember them needing to be removed in my Pony Club days. Two reasons come to mind. One: if I need to lose the crop for one reason or another, it needs to be more conscious than open fingers, let crop fall. Two: (as a PC instructor once told me... but often things were exaggerated for effect in my club) If a rider is turned into a lawndart, and the crop were to get caught on a piece of equipment, the force could snap the riders wrist. Much like poking my eye out on a tack cleaning hook... unlikely to happen, but you never know.

I agree, I have only used them for hanging them up! They feel rather awkward when your hand is thru the loop. And annoying. I always wondered why too. The bats don't have the loop. I always used those.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I am in the camp that feel they strap/loop is a safety issue. I would rather drop the crop then have it poke out an eye or impale someone in the event of a fall.

Safety. Chances are, if I need to drop my crop, I need to drop my crop. No messing around with trying to get rid of the darn thing while my horse is going nuts.

I use the loop for hanging up, and if it's a plastic crop with the loop that slides, I push it down to the end so it acts as an extra popper.

Cut 'em off! They keep a whip attached to a hand or arm in a fall, and can cause a severe injury....I know one woman who drove her whip through her cheek, because she broke her fall wiht her outstretch hand, and her face followed, and found the whip still attached to her arm.

I always used to put a running martingale stop over the top "button" of my stick (I called my whip a stick...it was just the "eventer' name I had for it) and let that slide down to rest in the web of my thumb and first finger....and I NEVER dropped a stick on XC or show jumping. I also galloped and did trot sets with a stick daily, to be in constant practice of holding and switching hands.

Just tell the parents about the whip through the cheek....they will be rushing out with scissors to cut off the silly things....and have a handful of martingale stops handy....tell 'em that's what the REAL riders use

I mostly have bats (no loops) but do have one with a loop--I just hook it over my thumb, and it's not a problem. I've never put one over my wrist--not sure it would even FIT. I've always sort of thought they were for a) hanging the thing up and b) looping over your thumb.
    Click here before you buy.

I encourage my students to cut them off. I think they make you hold your hand in the wrong position when the loop is over the wrist. Your hands are in a better line with the reins when holding a bat with no loop. Just my 2 cents.

I'm w/ Deltawave. I mostly use a bat, but if I'm using a longer crop with a loop I put just my thumb through it, it adds stability (since the crop handles seem to be much skinnier than bat handles), keeps it from flopping and bugging me, and I can still drop it quickly if I need to.

You can keep cutting them off and I'll have a ready made supply of sticks. I usually find sticks on course while I'm jump judging. I turn them into the office and then check back at the end of the day. If no one has claimed them, they go home with me. I haven't bought a stick in years.

What I was taught was to slide the loop over your middle finger. It keeps you from accidentally from losing the stick but doesn't interfere with the hand position.

How do you change hands with your stick in one stride with a loop on it?
    Or even cock it to an upright and ready position? Just curious....

I think people who lose a stick on XC are usually people who do not make a habit of handling one daily.....and it is rare to see a polished event rider, or steeplechase jockey lose a stick....not impossible, but rare. A steeplechase rider taught me to constantly carry and handle a stick...and I always carried one walking SJ....that way I was switching hands going around corners if I was on a horse that I thought might be needing more encoragement from one side or another to stay on a line....using a stick on one side only is a recipe for trouble.

Epona Cowgirl, get those kids to bring you ONE photo of an upper level jumper rider or event rider or dressage rider with a loop....and if they can, they get to keep their silly loop. It a stick is set up with a martingale stop, and is wrapped with rubber tape to make the best fit in the rider's hand, they don't get dropped accidentally, but come free if they need to in a fall.
    Last edited by Mach Two; Jun. 8, 2009 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I mostly have bats (no loops) but do have one with a loop--I just hook it over my thumb, and it's not a problem. I've never put one over my wrist--not sure it would even FIT. I've always sort of thought they were for a) hanging the thing up and b) looping over your thumb.

I also have always looped it in my thumb. I always figured it sure beat trudging back through an XC course to try to find my crop i accidentally dropped... plus if i were to fall off it wouldnt be around my wrist which i always thought might greatly increase the chances of breaking your wrist. and also, if i needed to drop it I could without much problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mach Two View Post
    How do you change hands with your stick in one stride with a loop on it?
    Or even cock it to an upright and ready position? Just curious....
    You are allowed to CARRY it in an upright ("overhand") position, but you are not allowed to USE it from that position.

Personally, I use the loop for such times as
    setting my watch
    retieing my pinney
    tightening my girth
    checking the course map.

Once on course I usually hold the loop with the stick as one piece.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    You are allowed to CARRY it in an upright ("overhand") position, but you are not allowed to USE it from that position.
    Wow...I have been out of eventing for a while, that is , I guess a new ruling to keep someone from really cutting into a horse. So OK....carrying it that way is a no go...but what about changing hands. I could always slip my stick under my thigh to tie a pinney, do my girth, set a watch.
    To each his own, when I taught kids, though, no one got to have a loop, for safety and other reasons.

Thank you for starting this thread. For years I've idly wondered what to make of the thing, and when I was using a whip with a loop tried it a couple times around my wrist where it felt clunky. Never been on my screen long enough for me to ask anyone about it.

The original purpose must be to keep from dropping the whip by accident because a "hanger" loop could be an inch long, but I think I've dropped it about twice and can live with that. (Even without the loop on my wrist I remember poking myself in the neck with the whip once in a truly ugly moment during my maybe second jumping lesson when the horse ran out and I found myself with my arms wrapped around his neck holding on to avoid colliding with the standard. Definitely a moment of grace under pressure. But I digress.)
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Uh, don't attach yourself to a stick. Not while on a horse, not while on a ski slope, etc.

I could tell you a good story about an accident involving a young person and an attached stick that resulted in a temporary colostomy. But usually those details are enough to scare everyone into cutting off those loops.

Another method instead of the loop is to use a rubber rein stop on the top of the crop or bat. I've never lost a bat XC using this method (of course, now I'm gonna jinx myself!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mach Two View Post

I always used to put a running martingale stop over the top "button" of my stick (I called my whip a stick...it was just the "eventer' name I had for it) and let that slide down to rest in the web of my thumb and first finger....and I NEVER dropped a stick on XC or show jumping. I also galloped and did trot sets with a stick daily, to be in constant practice of holding and switching hands.
    That's exactly what I said....glad to know I'm not the only one here who used a martingale stop...I popped one on the top of every young eventer's whip, free of charge, when I managed a tack shop, after cutting of the loop and telling the parents why I was doing that for them.

I'm pretty handy switching hand-to-hand with a crop/stick. But I can count on the fingers (all intact!) of one hand the number of times I've actually needed to do so in a hurry on XC.

Worst thing that ever happened to me with a long, skinny crop (I no longer carry one) is the tip getting stuck somehow in the loop that attaches my breastplate to my saddle. I must've been fumbling with my reins in the start box, because we started out and the thing was STUCK. It popped out of my hand and started winging around, tip firmly stuck in the breastplate and handle-end bouncing all over and clobbering poor Gwen on the neck a few times. She HATES whips and absolutely BOLTED--took me to fence #3 to get her back and the whip was lost in the shuffle. I never bothered to go looking for it. Give me short, thick, stubby ones or my ancient jockey bat every time.
    Click here before you buy.

Two: (as a PC instructor once told me... but often things were exaggerated for effect in my club) If a rider is turned into a lawndart, and the crop were to get caught on a piece of equipment, the force could snap the riders wrist.
    I'm of the cut 'em off school. We have a boarder who years ago - when she used to ride - always tried to tell me I was wrong to cut them off my student's crops; that they should go over the wrist. As in "that's what they're there for." Untill the day she got her crop caught in the rail & got yanked backwards off her horse's butt. Broken ribs & arm shut her up.