The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Penny Oaks... just how easy is it?

I'm thinking about taking my project horse to Penny Oaks if she hasn't sold by then- looks like the description is a nice soft course. What can I expect on XC and stadium?

Her first time off the farm proved to be fabulous- if a bit... "steering optional" on course- is stadium pretty sweeping?

Unless it has changed considerably, I wouldn't consider it "easy". The x-c track winds in and out of treelines, so light to dark questions. The water can be a problem (you come around the bend and there it is, for some reason looking more like a pond than a water crossing). Lots of horses had stops there at IEA two weeks ago. There is a ditch (might be an option at BN) and you can expect at least one fence on a downhill (drop fence). Stadium is notoriously twisty and curvy (I think it's the same for Penny Oaks)- has always been the toughest phase IMHO when showing at Indiana. The other thing that would be a bit of a ding with a greenie is that the warm-ups are small, especially dressage. I took my green bean to IEA, but it was his third horse trial and he is used to being off the farm. IEA and Penny Oaks are both lovely shows and we enjoy competing there, but I wouldn't recommend them for a horse's first time out of the box. Just FWIW

eponacowgirl is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Ah, really? Bummer. Maybe the courses have changed? Here's the description from the omnibus:

All courses: P/T/N-Average, for horses with some experience at this level. BN-Easy, good for first time at this level. Terrain: Gently rolling & flat, some prairie. New water complex! New jumps!

Foxchaser has pretty much nailed it on the head that it's not just open prairie with straight lines.

Also, PO uses a different course designer than the IEA HT too, so it's not the same course at all. Last year, going through the woods at PO, there were a couple "hidden" fences at BN and N (similiar tracks, I did N)..I remember the white table at a really odd approach around a bend..it surprised a few horses where the greener riders or horses had a stop... But I do think they had an option at the BN ditch. At IEA, every year the course designer has a ditch at BN and every year the TD makes IEA ad an option...at thats a fairly small ditch with nice groundlines! PO also either takes a few of their own xc fences down or donates a couple new ones to the park too for more variety. (If it werent for IEA and Penny Oaks fixing and adding fences every year, the HHP fences would have rotted out long ago)

Stadium is the same way too. They had some tough bending lines for BN and N too. IMO, if you are an experienced rider, you will probably have to work alittle to get your greenie around, but should do ok.

This all being said, Lauren, Omnibus descriptions are not always written by an event rider...and the advice you just got as a heads up is from event riders..they are telling you the truth...You just keep your LEG ON on that bold girl, keep your shoulders back, and your butt in the saddle. Sometimes a twisy winding course is what a keen horse needs to stay balanced!

You could go to the schooling HT at Masterson the same weekend (no coach, but there are starter levels!).

eponacowgirl is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Mach Two View Post
    This all being said, Lauren, Omnibus descriptions are not always written by an event rider...and the advice you just got as a heads up is from event riders..they are telling you the truth...You just keep your LEG ON on that bold girl, keep your shoulders back, and your butt in the saddle. Sometimes a twisy winding course is what a keen horse needs to stay balanced!
    I guess I need to get her out for a school and see how she does over bigger XC stuff before closing date... I'd feel better over a "coop... log... coop... log...." type course.

Quote Originally Posted by CookiePony View Post
    You could go to the schooling HT at Masterson the same weekend (no coach, but there are starter levels!).
    No coach AND no ride!! *sigh* But I'll dig around and see what I can do.

When is the Masterson station one? I really wanna get Cinniman out more. I have a trailer (depending on how big your horse is)...I know the drive to the HT is about 4ish hours and gas is a B***CH so I would love to split the cost if it isnt too close to now!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

The Summer School Mini-Trial, Combined Test & Dressage is August 2nd. Here are the specifics: http://summerschool.home.insightbb.com/ It would be a friendlier course for your greenie

Stadium is designed by two different groups for the horse trials, in my experience the PO stadium has been a bit more open lines but it will have nice jumps in a big sand arena. Dressage warmup can be tight in the sand arena depending on how many rings there are, but there is also a large grass area off to the side that a lot of people use for warmup. And there are a lot of other areas not too far to warmup, you just have to make sure you are at your ring on time. I haven't ridden BN there, only Prelim, but would assume that it is a bit on the tougher side from what I've seen, mainly because the water jump is in a looky area (people tend to congregate there to watch). While I was watching BN at IEA, the water stops were mainly at the log some strides before the water but I'm betting if the riders had been trotting, not sure it would have been a problem.

If you want a log, coop, log type course, it may not be what you are looking for. This one is thru the woods and a bit windy and the riders need to remember to help their horses have enough time to see what's going on.
    Last edited by Hannahsmom; Jun. 11, 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Aww sorry Lauren. ill be out of town until the 3rd! Bummer Looks fun!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

I almost forgot-- there is also the Spring Run schooling event on the 9th.
    http://www.springrun.org

And IEA has Leg Up at the end of this month. If you could get to that, maybe your greenie would be ready for Penny Oaks.