The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to Include in Horse Sale Ads Online?

Making a new farm website and am wondering... If you could see anything about a horse that you wanted in an online ad prior to ever contacting the seller, what would you want included? I'm interested in ideas that would be beneficial other than the basic description, under-saddle photo and pedigree.

Photos/Videos (what do you want to see)?
    Vaccination Records or Other Vet Records?
    Digital X-Rays?
    Show Results or Link to Results?

If this has already been addressed in another thread, let me know and I'll check it out but couldn't find anything in a search. THANKS!

I think that putting up x-rays and vet record online isn't a good idea. If a person is really that interested in the horse, they can come to you and ask for it.
    A conformation shot will give an idea to potential buyers what the horse looks like without tack.
    I'd rather be riding!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Assume from the context that you're asking about a sales ad that's part of a farm page as opposed to an online sale listing such as Dreamhorse.

At least one photo. If only one then action (but please not one of the horse staggering over a 2' crossrail if you're advertising it as a big eq horse). If >1 conformation is nice.

Video link.

IMHO, it's OK to link to the horse's ad in Dreamhorse or whatever and YouTube videos. I attempt to do our barn's website and I figure that the horse owner and/or trainer can easily update or change the Dreamhorse ad without me having to mess with it every time they want to change the price or decide that the horse can jump higher.

Age or year born. Height. Gender (unless painfully obvious from photo).

Indication of level shown and schooling.

Horse's show name. Unless for some reason you don't want people Googling it. Horse's registered name or a link to a pedigree is nice if you think people will care or it's something good.

Agree with the above poster that posting vet records and radiographs not a good idea. OK to say recent x-rays or something tho.

Date web page last updated. This can answer the question "is that horse really still four?"
    The Evil Chem Prof

Good points. It is for a farm website that will include everything from embryos to finished horses. We get a lot of tire-kickers so to avoid an endless stream of email questions, I'm willing to put up as much info as is needed. I have no problem with full-disclosure. I've also read some posts where people complained about not getting the info they need quickly enough so I thought if I could include as much as possible up-front, I wouldn't have to baby-sit the listings so much. I like to post as much as I can in videos and photos because I get a lot of international inquiries from non-English speaking parties.

Any opinions on videos? I've been spending a ton of time doing customized videos for prospective buyers who may or may not be just "feeling-out the market". I'd really like to post a couple pre-produced videos so that they don't feel so free to ask for customized productions when they are "just looking". I hate to say "no" to people but it does get old.

So a couple more questions for horse shoppers regarding under saddle videos-

How much time are you willing to commit to watching a video? How many seconds of each gait do you need to see? How many jumps? Are full classes from shows preferred or schooling? Anything else that you think is a "must-see".

Thanks in advance for opinions.

Ok...try it this way...and basically, stick to the facts about the horse-not what you think might happen. What it is NOW. Remember, in an ad you need to hook them into seeking more info, not bore them to death with every detail.

First the good.
    One properly focused, conformation shot. Profile on level ground groomed and presented like it was at a show. Nice background...put some flower pots in there for color and have the handler dressed nice.
    One still shot of horse doing as advertised. If it jumps, over a fence (NOT a pole on the ground or crossrail). If you state it shows, get a show shot. If it does not jump, get it doing whatever it does do...like a nice extended trot or something. If it's not broke, just stick to the conformation shots. Link to additional pictures, let wannbe buyer decide whether to go farther.

Good text example "Richie is a 4 year old, bay Dutch x TB gelding measured at 16.1. Started walk, trot, canter with simple changes. Sire, Flying Dutchman, has produced 3 USEF point earning Hunters. Dam (unraced) was successfully shown as a Children's Hunter with regional awards. Detailed records and pedigree available on request.

Good video of this one would be TWO MINUTES showing rail work, especially at the canter. Link to additional and let buyer make the choice to look further or not.

Now the BAAAAAD.

Blurry pictures of a horse standing in a field, a few more standing half in a hole in front of a tractor and 2 goats with a too big halter and a kid in shorts, spaghetti strap tank top and flip flops on the other end of a dirty, thick cotton pink lead rope.

An action shot of the horse splitting it's front end stepping over a crossrail and another stating "3 foot" when the pole is at it's fetlocks.

Baaaad text example..."Sparky is already 18 hands at age 5 and is a beautiful coppery chestnut that takes your breath away with an incredible flaxen tail that sweeps the ground behind him. His bloodline is of the greatest Olympic and Grand Prix Jumpers in the world with xxxxx, yyyy, zzzzzz, qqqqqq, rrrrr with ttttt, ppppp and many, many others in his grandsire's extended 17 generation pedigreee found on page 3 of this ad. There is no doubt that Sparky will follow in those footsteps as an International Jumper. He has an amazing stride and the look of eagles tells us he wants to win and will do anything for you. He is started under saddle and our 6 year old rides him...etc, etc, etc.

One video is 7 minutes of said 6 year old walking around the ring. Then trotting. Then a canter half a lap. Then turning around and going the other way. Another video is 5 minutes trotting over ground poles going over the crossrail with the split front end as a finale.

So, stick to facts. Keep it short. Edit, edit, edit. Link to additional information. Do NOT state anything you cannot prove-meaning if you do not have the papers, don't quote pedigree and if it has not shown at the level represented, don't say that is what it will do.

Serious buyers are not stupid and can tell with a few good pictures and a short video, like 2 minutes, if it's going to suit or not.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

When we are looking for ponies for my daughter the first thing I always do is check the show record, so make sure you include the show name. I like the listings that just give the facts. Please don't put "the hack winner" unless the horse/pony is really fantastic and has won a class at a truly high level show. So many times people list a horse as the "hack and model winner" and when I look up the show record they have won 1 or 2 classes in the past year and that was in a class of 5. That gives me the impression that other items stated about the horse would probably not be true.

As a prospective buyer I would love to see:

A confirmation shot (horse clean and properly stood up)
    A trot photo under saddle
    1-2 jump photos if you have them over different styles of fences
    A 1 minute or so video of the horse loose that shows all 3 gates (and not just galloping by the camera out of focus)
    A 2-4 minute video under saddle with basic w/t/c plus jumping if they do it

Please make sure you do all this in a well lit arena or outside as there is nothing worse then videos taken in peoples indoors or against a treeline and you can't see the horse. I would not include vet info or x-rays but just put a line in about that they are available for review for inerested buyers.

DO NOT pull a pasture nag out and photograph it covered in mud with a crappy halter on on uneven ground. If you post video by all means edit it, I don't want to watch a 20 minute video of the ride (also don't edit so much that it looks cut and choppy like you are trying to hide things).

If the horses show might be helpful to put in entirety a jumper round or dressage test.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    As a prospective buyer I would love to see:

A confirmation shot (horse clean and properly stood up)
    A trot photo under saddle
    1-2 jump photos if you have them over different styles of fences
    A 1 minute or so video of the horse loose that shows all 3 gates (and not just galloping by the camera out of focus)
    A 2-4 minute video under saddle with basic w/t/c plus jumping if they do it

Please make sure you do all this in a well lit arena or outside as there is nothing worse then videos taken in peoples indoors or against a treeline and you can't see the horse. I would not include vet info or x-rays but just put a line in about that they are available for review for inerested buyers.

DO NOT pull a pasture nag out and photograph it covered in mud with a crappy halter on on uneven ground. If you post video by all means edit it, I don't want to watch a 20 minute video of the ride (also don't edit so much that it looks cut and choppy like you are trying to hide things).

If the horses show might be helpful to put in entirety a jumper round or dressage test.
    Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't even thought about loose footage.

For an example of a really well put together website, I think Hannah at Topline Sporthorse does a fabulous job:

www.toplinesporthorse.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crying Coyote Farm View Post
    Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't even thought about loose footage.
    Also if your talking about doing embryos I would expect the same of the mare. Even a broodie can take a good confirmation shot and show her loose in the ring moving around. If I want her egg I would want to know what she was like. If she's a riding mare just do the ad like you would a sales horse. Also if she has babies a shot of them would be nice as well to see what she has produced.

Quote Originally Posted by gasrgoose View Post
    So many times people list a horse as the "hack and model winner" and when I look up the show record they have won 1 or 2 classes in the past year and that was in a class of 5. That gives me the impression that other items stated about the horse would probably not be true.
    Exactly. These days, show results are pretty easily verifiable, so making them sound like something they really aren't makes the seller seem shady.
    --o0o--

I like to see three pictures - a confo shot, a shot on the flat, and a shot O/F.

I also like to see a price listed. I hate websites that have a system like "a blue dot means it's between $50k and $200k" or some other system that you have to decypher to figure out if the horse might be in your price range. I hate having to E-mail just to ask the exact price. Yes, I want to see a price. I know it may change with training and more show experience; feel free to say that.

2 min is about the max I'll watch of a video online before getting bored and moving on. Brief flat work and more O/F. Cannot stand watching 10 minutes of a slow pan of the horse's conformation as the "sale" video.

On my website I put a Horse/Ponies for Sale page, that shows one good photo and breif description and price. Then if they click on horses name it goes the "their" page with more photos and video links plus a more in depth description. It depends on what I am marketing as to what goes in the description. If registered then I include brief bloodline info, a synopsis of major show results, a bit about the horses disposition/level of training/and type of rider best suited. A bit about what discipline(s) the horse is either trained for, shown in or has potential for (in the case of young horses). I always include, age, height, breed and price.

Another comment on the video, please keep out the special effects. Once I start seeing the slow motion, multiple edits and flashing stars I'm all done. I would like to see the horse in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by etopolsk View Post
    Another comment on the video, please keep out the special effects. Once I start seeing the slow motion, multiple edits and flashing stars I'm all done. I would like to see the horse in real time.
    LOL! I've seen a lot in slow motion too and have always thought "why???".

Quote Originally Posted by Crying Coyote Farm View Post
    LOL! I've seen a lot in slow motion too and have always thought "why???".
    Because it makes the trot look like it has suspension. That drives me crazy!

Name, age, height, breed, price range or specific price, show record/what shows they are doing, what shows they can be seen at, a short bio, pictures (conformation, flat, and jumping), and a video no longer than 3 minutes WITHOUT music, slow motion, or special effects. Please.

I love to see a horse's USEF number or a link to show results. And as a trainer, it saves buyers, and the seller even, a lot of time if you put the price of the horse online or a general guideline to pricing. I think a lot of people tend to pass horses by because they think that the horse will be out of their price range, when in fact, it could easily be in their price range but one would never know.