The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NEW deer deterrent!!!

I am terribly tacky sometimes and have absolutely fallen in love with all the new solar powered garden toys you can buy- little strings of lights and plastic flowers and mirror balls and such that solar charge all day and blink along happily all night. I just noticed my potato plants and roses and other things that deer LOVE have not been touched this year, even though I see deer in the yard almost every night. I am thinking, that these little blinking lights are scaring them away from coming close to the house where all these things are planted. For the last 13 years, the deer have not been shy about munching right under my bedroom window, and they ate the tulips from around the house this spring before I put up about a dozen of these assorted toys.

hahah tacky is sometimes a GOOD thing.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

hmmm...those do have a very high tacky factor but if they do in fact deter deer..high price to pay but worth it I say...

I wonder if the deer will just become accustomed to it and revert to their old ways. Then you will have to up the ante somehow.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Talking

I got another one. It is the best thing EVER. a motion sensitive impulse sprayer. (have I posted this before?, if so sorry)
    I watched a deer this morning eying the first bloom on my squash (which they demolished last year) took two steps towards it and got hit with a jet of water and the pht pht pht sound. It just about did a back flip and went crashing off into the woods. Life is great
    Of course it also works on nosey neighbors, almost as good (or maybe better)

oh yes, the sprinkler is definitely on the list for next spring when the tulips come up again. I wasn't really serious about the lights being a deterrent, but they have been, so hence the
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Talking

Well I am going to try the lights for the veggies next to the house!! Not a good place for the sprinkler, but I can't stand seeing cloven hoofprints 6 inches from my kitchen window.
    So far sprinkler has gotten, 1 deer (that I know of), 2 neighbors and one cat...
    Amazon.....

Martha had a very intersting deer deterant on yesterday (yes I am a MS fan, so what? ).

4 eggs, 1 quart water, blend. Apparently the deer hate it!

I don't know about the smell in the hot sun but at least it's environmentally friendly.

Thats so funny about the lights though! We've got too many hunters around here so I don't have any deer to try that out on :|.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

just a caution if you have dogs. Most smellythings that deter deer are also dog attracters. Ask me how I found out. OK, I'll tell you.

We spread this miracle deer deterrent, which I think was either cougar pee or wolf turds or something mixed with sawdust and we spread it all along some treasured flowers last summer. The next morning, the entire bed had been snuffled through and dug up by our own lovely dogs.

About the egg thing? I fed the dogs some egg foo yung this morning that had been in the fridge one day too long. A little stinky, but they LOVED it, bean sprouts and all.

You too like those light polluters?
    I have a 6' chian link fence to keep all kinds of critters out, skunks mostly and have some of those very small solar lights up on the fence.
    They really look neat, not enough light to be disturbing, but enough to make the night seem fairy like.

Very interesting that the lights may be keeping your deer away.

Sorry to highjack the thread but this got me thinking do any of you wonderful people know how to deter SNAKES!!! Both of the kids and I are deathly afraid of them, even the little garters and it seems like at least one of us has an encounter every day. It's pretty bad when I have major trouble getting anyone to leave the house. I already have 10 one year old bantam chickens but can't seem to coerce them to come over to the house.

Feed stores around here and on the internet, google Gempler's, sell a product the University of Wisconsin studied, called Snake-Away.
    It is some naphta crumbles, similar to what you find in moth balls.
    You sprinkle it around where you don't want snakes and, for us here, lasts three months, even after rains.
    I was regularly getting rattlers out of the garage and, since I used that, no more.

A friend in East TX has coral, cotton mouth and rattlers getting under her porch and house all the time and has not seen one in the two years she has been using this.

It doesn't bother anything and the snakes just seem to become confused when they get close to it and go away.

Thanks Bluey!!! By not bothering anything I'm hoping you mean pets and children. I wonder what would happen if the chickens did decide to come over to the house? They might ingest some, not sure. And I wonder about chasing out the snakes that have already moved in? I have flowerbeds around the house that have not been weeded because of my lower back/hip problem and the pesky critters have made themselves much at home and enjoy coming out to sun themselves.

ooooh you are glad you didn't turn over some old bags of manure I had to move this weekend- there were about a dozen little garter snakes curled up under the first bag, and lots of shed skins said they'd been wintering there at least! Must have been like a warm little snakey resort as the manure was composting in the bags, but their plastic lining kept them dry.

Quote Originally Posted by harveyhorses View Post
    I got another one. It is the best thing EVER. a motion sensitive impulse sprayer. (have I posted this before?, if so sorry)
    I watched a deer this morning eying the first bloom on my squash (which they demolished last year) took two steps towards it and got hit with a jet of water and the pht pht pht sound. It just about did a back flip and went crashing off into the woods. Life is great
    Of course it also works on nosey neighbors, almost as good (or maybe better)
    That sounds fabulous! Where can I get one?

I just constructed the biggest eyesore ever in my yard this weekend to barricade the deer from my garden, which they've nearly obliterated. Beans - gone. Cucumbers - pruned significantly. Peppers - eaten to twigs. Squash - every plant eaten and uprooted (because just eating them isn't damaging enough). Melons - forget it. My tomatoes are the only thing left that aren't too badly damaged. They did eat some branches off each plant. I really hate deer.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Sigh. You can get them on Amazon.com Northern Handyman has them for almost double the price. Ebay was way expensive too.
    Get the more expensive one, (taller) if you get one. Mine kept going off this weekend, could not figure out what was doing it. The plants. They have grown enough to trigger the sensor. So I found a piece of PVC pipe that the sprayer would fit inside, drove it into the ground and screwed the sprayer to that, I raised it to about 2'6. Now I am not sure what I'll do when the 'maters get taller. It will be fine for the shorter plants.
    Also sensor on this one only goes a little less than 1/2 way around. It would be perfect against a wall.
    It IS working though, two more bambies got sprayed and scared. That we witnessed.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,2280,33159\

They motion activated sprinklers are also available at Lee Valley. Not cheap but neither is replanting all the time.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Amazon is way cheaper! The expensive one is 59.99 (or thereabouts)I opted for the $49.
    Still happy with it.