The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question on Professional vs. Amateur status

I am 17 years old and I currently compete at the prelim/1* level. As kind of a "part-time job" I ride a few horses for people on a semi-regular basis at the barn I board at. I on average only ride one or two horses of other peoples' per day. I don't teach riding lessons though. My 18th birthday is in two weeks so I will no longer be able to compete in the junior divisions. I don't consider myself a professional at all, but will I have to be listed as a "professional" under USEA and USEF because I make a little money from the sport? I looked at the rule book but was confused as to whether a person has to teach to be considered a pro or just make money from the sport? Also, does the amateur rule only apply if you want to compete in "rider" divisions at horse trials or to get year end points?

Under THIS YEAR'S rules, you can continue to get paid up until Nov 30 2009.

Activities before your "18th birthday, as defined in GR101" are not relevant. (May change next year based on a rule change)

So in your 2010 membership application you would sign the Amateur section.

The amateur rule applies to entering the "Amasteur" divisions, and to appear on the Amateur leaderboard.

It has NOTHING to do with entering "Rider" (or "Horse") divisions.

You can continue to compete in Junior divisions until Nov 30.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

If you are being paid to train then yes, you are a professional. After Nov. 30,2009 you will have to stop being paid to ride or you can not ride as an ammy. Good luck. and I think this rule stinks! haha I was in your boat too.
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Yes, being paid to ride other people's horses (even if just exercising) after Nov 30 would be a 'non-amateur" activity.
    Last edited by Janet; Jun. 10, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

What if she was working off lessons or board by riding.... So no money exchanged hands?

It counts as remuneration. You can't work for the barn and ride horses they receive money for, whether it be training or boarding, etc.

I don't consider myself a professional at all, but will I have to be listed as a "professional" under USEA and USEF because I make a little money from the sport?
    It doesn't matter what you consider yourself, the definition of professional is precisely one that makes money from the sport.