The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leaving and then coming back to a barn

After talking to a friend, I'm curious- Trainers, Do you let clients who have left the barn come back again? If so, how many times? Boarders/Students, If you left a barn, why would you come back?
    Personally, I've never left a barn and then come back again but I know some people who have. What do you think?

I would certainly allow a "good client" back into the barn. What is a good client?

Pays on time
    Responsible boarder- cleans up after themselves, considerate to the staff
    Takes lots of lessons and/goes to shows- so they're not just a boarder
    Nice to have around- pleasant, happy, doesn't make trouble or stir the pot
    Gave sufficient notice when they left before
    Didn't try to get other clients to leave with them- spoke highly of us after they left

Those types would always be welcome back.

I think it would depend, as a boarder/student, why I left.

Next month, I'm moving back to a barn I left. We left because I moved a goodly distance, but still within the same metro area, and a new barn would be closer. Turns out old barn really isn't much further, and I miss it, so we're moving back after about 10 months

Meanwhile, a barn we left in the interim, for care issues, I would absolutely not go back to. It just depends on the why, I'd think, for both management and client.

I left my current barn because my horse was sold and there wasn't really anything for me to ride otherwise, as it was a boarder barn. I also moved about 1 hour away.

They let me come back since I moved back and found a lease horse.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I left my current barn becase I had moved in with my SO across town and found a barn 7 miles from my house. (Old barn wound up being 30+ one day!) BO totally understood and said she could not fault anyone for doing what is best for their horse.

SO and I broke up and I wound up moving back to "my" side of town and wanted to return. BO was happy to have me back. I consider myself very, very lucky!

I left my barn here in town when I moved to Welly world for 6 months to groom (Dora came with me). When I was ready to move back home, a boarder had JUST moved out (this was the only barn in town, and it was 10 minutes from my house) and I was welcomed back. The great part was that Dora (who normally takes a week + to settle in at a new place) never gave second thought to going back "home." She walked right into her stall and started eating hay (which made me feel great because I moved her a week before I moved back home and had to leave her there under the care of the BO).
    In loving memory of my precious Gwendolyn; you will always be with me, in my heart. I love you.

Default Speaking from the boarder's perspective

I live in an area where pickin's are slim. I have tried to choose barns carefully and also not gone back once I left one. Here's why (and a good rule of thumb): If something bugged you enough to leave and hasn't changed in the meantime, assume it's the same.

Be diplomatic, give 30 days' notice and play your cards close to your chest if you must. Don't burn bridges, but if you do reconsider and see the error of your ways, know that by going back you are consenting to the same situation you left. Don't complain upon return.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I left my trainer's barn back home during my last junior year because there wasn't much for me to ride at the time. I came back the following year (as an AA) and was able to do a half lease.

I have since moved out of state, but every time I go home, I can generally ride a few times.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default speaking from the trainers perspective

or..."other" barns trainer calls your client and tells them how much better they can do for your client, they leave, find out "other" trainer only charges more, doesnt produce better results, so they come back having learned the grass isnt always greener.

In a nutshell, If you want to leave fine, if you want to come back, unless you were a non-payer or a total psycho, you are always welcome back.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Depends entirely on the circumstances - some people leave or are asked to leave for any number of reasons. As long as the relationship between the two parties remains friendly/professional I would see no reason why a boarder couldn't return. I was contemplating returning to my old barn as it's about 20 minutes closer to my house and job and that barn fits more into my riding goals presently, however, I opted not to because some of the problems which made me leave in the first place aren't fixed and don't look like they will be.. but it's nice to know I can return anytime and I often swing by to visit them when they are competing close by - we are still very close friends - which is wonderful

I think I would go back to an old barn, as long as I left on good terms. Although I would never go back the the barn that I left in September. Not because there were any major care issues, but because of the fact that the boarders and TRAINER have continuously talked about me after I've left.
    --Chris--