The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Skidmore Classic Horse Show? and Shadbelly Question

Whos going up there for these next two weeks? I'll be there doing the children's hunters. Any suggestions for things to do during the show? and places to explore around the show?

Oh Question about shadbellys: According to the prize-list and time schedule on both Friday and Saturday there are children's classics (with one of the rounds of children's substituting for the first round) would you pull out a shad? Normally at the As I wouldn't do it but was just wondering as it is an AA show? Im thinking about bringing one wether I need it or not. TIA

I SO wish I was going, as Skidmore is my school! I'm really bummed I'm missing it. Saratoga Springs has a great downtown area with lots of restaurants, bars, and shopping. There's lots of things to do. I believe there is an art festival going on campus soon as well.

I would bring the shad.

If it makes you happy go for it, but I hate seeing shads in children's or pony classes.

absolutely. most people in zone 2 wear shads in children's classics at A and AA shows.

have fun!!
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

i live here, so i'm always around! not showing this year, though, the big mare is now semi retired, and everything else has been sold, is in foal, or total greenies. oh well, maybe next year.

Update from the show:
    The town is adorable! Love all of the places to eat and shop in the down town area. At first I was not a fan of the layout of the show. My horse wasnt either, and was not himself the first few days, spooky quick and flightly. But a short ten minutes on the lunge line was all it took for him to come back to normal. He was really energetic in the lows (pre quick little lunge) but soo great today for the childrens. It was my first AA show with this horse so I was quite excited.

The jumps seemed quite small for 3'. But my horse didnt seem to mind. My first round went well well, but I got a gap to an oxer. We ended up third in that round. In the second round I forgot my course halfway through and messed up the turn to two different jumps, but I ended up winning! Second round of the classic I went around the wrong tree, so I ended up getting a bad aproach to the first jump and I got left behind a bit when he went for the long one giving us an okay score (78) so we ended up in fourth for the childrens classic. I love my horsieee Hes the best

Sorry this is a long brag, but Im a really proud mama

Oh I ended up wearing the shad. There was about half of the riders in shads and half in navy.

congrats!!
    (|--Sarah--|)

I'm glad you and your baby are having a good start to your show!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I wish I was there this year, but I don't get out of school until the end of next week. Sounds like easy points if those trips got good ribbons. (No offfense to you, those trips are great for a greenie!) If you don't mind me asking are you a younger or an older?

Centerstage, that was awfully quick of you to assume what the trips were like. The OP may exaggerate her mistakes and understate her successes. I highly doubt that a huge, scary flyer at an oxer would get a third, nor that missing a turn completely twice would win. Perhaps the OP finessed her mistakes and they were not that noticeable other than to her trainer.

To the OP: Congratulations, and I'm glad the show went so well for you! Did you end up with a champion or reserve with those ribbons?

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Centerstage, that was awfully quick of you to assume what the trips were like. The OP may exaggerate her mistakes and understate her successes. I highly doubt that a huge, scary flyer at an oxer would get a third, nor that missing a turn completely twice would win. Perhaps the OP finessed her mistakes and they were not that noticeable other than to her trainer.

To the OP: Congratulations, and I'm glad the show went so well for you! Did you end up with a champion or reserve with those ribbons?
    Yeah I kinda am a perfectionist and really do dramatize the bad parts. It wasnt like a huge flyer or anything but I would have prefered it to be a little tighter. And the turns that I messed up were to the diagonals as in both cases there was a single right beside a line, so my turns were cut as I aimed for the single instead of the line in one case and the line instead of the single in the first, but then realized halfway through the turn that I needed to go wider, and corrected it. The distances to the respective jumps were perfect after I adjusted the turns as well as all the other jumps. The classic second round did get a little gappy, but my horse jumps really well and compensated for it throughout the course, and even jumped the long one in his usual good form (I didnt aahh I was left behind, but of course I rewarded him alot for being soo good).

We dont know about champions yet as theres another O/F and the Under Saddle later today. So fingers crossed they will go well

Here are some pictures (I ordered them from James Parker last night, but cant not share)
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2598173&ref=mf

Yepp im aware Im jumping up the neck and such but there really cute of him.

ETA: Im an older, But the competition seemed to be pretty even between the age groups, my friend won every class yesterday in the youngers with similar scores to mine (like 83 vs 82) and (80 vs 81)

Quote Originally Posted by CenterStage123 View Post
    I wish I was there this year, but I don't get out of school until the end of next week. Sounds like easy points if those trips got good ribbons. (No offfense to you, those trips are great for a greenie!) If you don't mind me asking are you a younger or an older?
    I definitely wouldn't consider Saratoga easy points, but then again, I'm in the younger AAs who last year had 60 in it and you were eighth (in section B of a california split meaning you would be 16th) with an 80! I used to do the childrens there about 6 years ago and it definitely wasn't easy then, but I can't comment on the trips this year since I will be heading down next weekend, not this weekend. And people often do over exaggerate the faults that they have on a course, it always seems much worse when you riding than it normally looks from the ground

As far as things to do in Saratoga, there are wonderful little shops in the actual town and if you want to drive, Lake George is out there too and is absolutely gorgeous.

I have a question about the results on the Skidmore horse show website. It looks like the results from Thursday of 2009 and Friday of 2009 don't match up, seeing as how I know some of the riders that were listed on Thursday aren't there and divisions that supposedly went on Thursday 2009 really didn't go until Friday 2009. I know that probably makes no sense, but I'm quite confused!
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

Sorry if my post sound snarky, and after I reread it I realized that it was a bit rude. It was that just before I read this thread I was complaining to myself about a kid who won't move up to juniors already (his horses can do it, before
    He bought them they were doing greens and juniors down in Flordia.) and wins everything, including champ and reserve at Devon! And he'll even win if he had an ugly chip and add in the line, and seconds only fault was a swishing tail threw the changes! (Yes, this acctually did happen) So sorry if I was rude, and congrats on your scucess!

(Oh, and sorry about my rant.)

Quote Originally Posted by CenterStage123 View Post
    Sorry if my post sound snarky, and after I reread it I realized that it was a bit rude. It was that just before I read this thread I was complaining to myself about a kid who won't move up to juniors already (his horses can do it, before
    He bought them they were doing greens and juniors down in Flordia.) and wins everything, including champ and reserve at Devon! And he'll even win if he had an ugly chip and add in the line, and seconds only fault was a swishing tail threw the changes! (Yes, this acctually did happen) So sorry if I was rude, and congrats on your scucess!

(Oh, and sorry about my rant.)
    I know who you are talking about, and because I don't know the full circumstances, all I can say is that this person has a wonderful trainer who knows when their horses and riders are ready to move up. Although I don't know if this is the case in this situation, many people buy 3'6" horses and don't move up right away for many different reasons.
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

Unfortunatley. I didnt end up in champion or reserve The hack class was a real let down and without getting the ribbons in that I was out of the running for champion. It was one of the most frustrating classes of my life, my horse whos won hacks in WEF and such, hacked his little heart out, had his ears forward the entire time with nice loose contact, and had several great passes by the judge didnt even pin. Its not like he blends in with the crowd or anything as hes a buckskin. My trainer who is an R judge, said that without bias and such my horse was the winner or second at the least. My poor horse kept trying to walk out of line first as soon as the sound speakers made room. Then actually seemed upset and pinned his ears when he walked out with all the non riboners.

Then I made a mistake in the over fences, Buckabo was keyed up and a little upset after not ribboning and kept trying to spook to outside and being silly added too much inside leg to get his attention and change his bend. He being keyed up took that as a cue to counter canter. We did a flying a stride later and went on to have the best course it was a bad day.

Don't look at it as a bad day, look at it as just another day at the show. You didn't make a huge mistake - he was a little fresh - but you came out of the ring knowing him even better than you did before.

Too bad about the hack - I hate it when that happens! Sometimes the judge just doesn't agree with everyone else.

I saw your pictures o/f and he's adorable! I'm sure you will have a lot more wins coming your way in the near future.

I loved showing in Saratoga - though it's been a while since I was in school up there. The trees in the rings are great. Always made me think of home and showing at Upperville.

Heygirlhey33 your pictures look great! You guys are very cute together!

love your pics! what a cute horse! and dont worry about not pinning--if you were champ or reserve at WEF of all places, a winning like that is worth many many of the average big A's around here (even skidmore, which is AA i believe) we all have our less-than-perfect days. don't let it get you down! it's only a ribbon. thats real cute about your horse trying to walk out with the PA system sounding, though!
    (|--Sarah--|)

Weather has been horendous these past few days but got nice today. Today was a great day at the show. My horse was absolutley fantastic and won every single class (both division over fences and then the classic) I was soo happy with him. It was a little odd though as there was an amber alert going on with a search helicopter and k9 search and rescue dogs. Supposedly there was a missing child that wandered into the woods.

Your horse is adorable and you guys look great in your photos. I love his name! So cute!
    Wedonit
    Ch. G, 2000
    Stalwars x Theydonittoknight